KiteLife Forum

Flying After Work... October 2015

RobB

Hey there...

Had a great break after work last week, headed home from the office & I just couldn't pass the beach without stopping. Just such a nice day, almost 60* just before sunset with winds that looked OK. Turned out the winds were dying out, and trying to figure out which way to blow, but I still got a great half hour fly before getting back to real life.

The Skyburner Solus is a large kite (100" wingspan) and sometimes requires bigger inputs. Well, you can see in the video... I caught the kite & pilot in a good deal of this footage. I take these videos to learn what I'm doing wrong, but it does make for a good laugh with the flailing at times. What did I learn from it ? Universal truth... more slack !

Full screen & HD. There's music too, if you like the GD.

• Like 6

I've been trying to fly after work but the wind has been abysmal. There's a good amount of wind today (just got back in from lunch) so I'm going to try a new park to see if I can get a clear wind path without trees or hills surrounding it. I've had the Kymera for almost 2 weeks and I've only been able to keep it in the air for a total of about 10 minutes over 4 different days of flying because of sparse winds.

Back when was flying kites for the first time I lived in Huntington Beach. Beach flying in the fall and winter is wonderful. Great winds, no people, the whole beach is yours. What a great way to relax after work.

Kiting seems to be a lesson in patience... too much wind, too little wind, wrong direction wind, etc. Once in a while, you're in the right place at the right time. This day I was in the right place, just a half hour late. I would've been flying an UL kite if I had known the wind was going away as the sunset, but I tried to make the most of it, and ended up having a good time anyway...

*edit... I had to re-upload that one. Sorry, I should've watched it before posting it here. Fuzzy-View fixed...

• Like 5

• 2 months later...