KiteLife Forum

Rev 1 vs Blast 2-4

DeafThunder

I read the specification on both kite ...

what are the questions you should ask me, before I make the purchase ?

what is your opinion "difference between these two" ?

which one you chose first to buy as second kite and for what reasons ?

is this $289 a good price for "New" Rev 1 kite at eBay aka cobrakites.com ?

1. The Rev 1 is from the same "family" as the 1.5, just bigger. Personally, I don't like the Mylar panels - they don't stretch with the rest of the fabric, Some will like them, some don't. With the correct rods, it can be flown down into the 2-3 mph range, but still a lot of work to do so. Light wind flying in general usually is - there are no "freebies", it's all about technique, not just equipment. PS: I usually fly a Zen (same size as a 1) now. but had used my 1 with race rods for light winds.

2. The Blast 2-4 is from the "power kite" side of the family. Meant as a hard pulling kite designed I believe, to be an "engine" for buggies and boards. While designed to do everything any Rev will do, prepare to be pulled hard unless flown in lighter winds.

My first "real" Rev was a 1, still have it and fly it some. Closing in on 20 years old!! 1.5s are now my kite of choice. That size lends itself to many of the improvements made over the years. Look at any line, flying team, and you will see almost always, a group of 1.5s flying together. One of the reasons they are made in several models - adapt sails to wind conditions!

Which you decide to get is up to what you are looking for in your kite flying experience - more precision or more pull - your choice!

• Like 1

Rev Power Blast 2-4 was my second Rev. Rev 1 Sedgwick cool was my third Rev. 1.5 B mid vent was my fourth Rev. The Sedgwick does not have Mylar panels & is more like a B in it's sail pattern. The Rev 1 would be my second choice of Sportwings if I did it again. But I really just wanted to try them all so the order was not really important. I would say just go with your whim. SHBKF

If it's a choice between those two I would go with the Rev 1, especially as first Rev. It's bigger and slower than a 1.5, so should be easier to learn on. Pulls about 10% harder in the same wind. A bit heavier than the 1.5 because of the mylar panels, so lower wind range will be about the same. Price is quite good for an RTF (ready to fly) package, and cobrakites is an established, reputable dealer, so you should have no problems and someone who will work with you should one arise.

The PB2-4 as a training kite will drive you crazy. Too much power to learn the control inputs you need to fly it. It will drag you around and put you down and you will not learn anything except that you need a smaller quad to learn on. Price on it as an RTF package is in the $400 (roughly) and up range.

• Like 1

The 2-4 flies across the window in forward then floats back across in reverse. The Rev1 is a slow graceful flying kite.

The $289 price seems high to me, I have 2 2-4 blasts and somewhere around 30 rev1's, so I can't answer the buy as a second kite question and the for what reasons. But now, I sure know why I would want to have 29 rev1's, instead of 30!

The 2-4 flies across the window in forward then floats back across in reverse. The Rev1 is a slow graceful flying kite.

The $289 price seems high to me, I have 2 2-4 blasts and somewhere around 30 rev1's, so I can't answer the buy as a second kite question and the for what reasons. But now, I sure know why I would want to have 29 rev1's, instead of 30!

Wind of Change has the Rev 1, new, at $239 kite only, so at $289 RTF it's not a bad deal.

If it's a choice between those two I would go with the Rev 1, especially as first Rev. It's bigger and slower than a 1.5, so should be easier to learn on. Pulls about 10% harder in the same wind. A bit heavier than the 1.5 because of the mylar panels, so lower wind range will be about the same. Price is quite good for an RTF (ready to fly) package, and cobrakites is an established, reputable dealer, so you should have no problems and someone who will work with you should one arise.

The PB2-4 as a training kite will drive you crazy. Too much power to learn the control inputs you need to fly it. It will drag you around and put you down and you will not learn anything except that you need a smaller quad to learn on. Price on it as an RTF package is in the $400 (roughly) and up range.

drive me crazy ? I can tame or hovering any position (but on inverted, slightly harder with lots of jerk movement ... LOL) my 3m oZone parafoil power kite at the dead center window at 19-22mph and flew 6 feet up and about 20 feet across ... that was my best one and it's awesome ... is that 21mph power flying crazy enough for me to handle this blast 2-4 at 15 mph ? what do you mean by that "drive you crazy" I adore my oZone power kite and I can even do lots tricks including flying backward across the low windows from 9 to 3 and 3 to 9 ... oh yeah, I can dive stop as well then fly backward upward about half way up :) ... it's hard and it is totally doable like I can do with B-Series ... ha :) ... I have videos ... I will need excess hours to edit it all together or into parts.

maybe I understand that I should never jumped in this blast 2-4, because it does not glide you down safely like a parafoil power kites do ...

I just need all the information about Blast 2-4 DOs and DON'Ts or/and PROs and CONs before I make the decision ...

Graceful Flying kite ... explain in great details ... this can not be use in higher wind due might break rods/spars ? ... I don't know, if I want that "sleepy and boring" graceful flying kite

Untitled%200%2003%2037-58_zpsbh6ixhpy.jpUntitled%200%2003%2036-36_zpskckkgksk.jpI'm just saying rev1's fly slower and more graceful than 1.5's or rev2's. As far as sleepy and boring, the guys on the beach leaned back holding on for dear life are being pulled along the sand by rev1's. Pay extra attention to their knees that are about to burst!

• Like 1

Thank you for showing that awesome photos !!! I was laughing after I read that those are Rev 1 for real ... that is what I wanted to know ... I though that Rev 1 would be so fragile and I am glad that you proved me wrong with a smile. That is how I do it with my oZone power parafoil kite at 12+mph :) I love it and will do it for like 6 hours like I did with my oZone and slept so good afterward :)

Yes, I have a Custom (not pro & sunset color) B-Series and flew 90 hours in 5 weeks on it mark by now ... I just flew my B-Series with 27ft 50lbs fishing line tonight around 10mph in the front lawn with trees ... I have not hit any trees or the truck, because I still have about 30ish feet 1/4 sphere of wide-opening) ... the good thing is that all I practicing was hovering any 90° (inverted is still hard to control, but got better ... slowly) and the 360 center spin-stop-hovering and all that for about 30 minutes, just before the gust wind picking up (weather said that gust wind up to 40 mph) ... time to go in :)

Here is the weather update on 11-12-15 @ midnight ...

post-10149-0-99965100-1447308936_thumb.p

... and my kite at my Dad's house ...

post-10149-0-53940700-1447308992_thumb.j

On that beach, how much wind is that? It can't be more than 12mph, due flags, sand smoke, gulf or bay waves, maybe ?

I'll go with Rev 1, because that kite got power which is doable and cheaper, alot cheaper than power Blast ...because I don't want to be lifted by Blast 2-4, then dive to earth which is probably nothing like parafoil power kite that glide you down slowly.

Will you please show me some more of power Rev 1 photos/videos and super low wind Rev 1 (outdoor) videos?

I have search these single word or combination words on youtube and vimeo to look for more Revolution Quad Kiting such as rev, revolution, mini rev, night, kite, kiting, blast 2-4, power, ballet, quad ... I have seen those ...

... I know there are alot more online, but rev videos are not using those words in the title or description which is make it so hard to find ... any other words?

p.s. ... I laughed again ... love those photos ... thanks !!!

For $100 more from Rev 1 to Rev (regular) Blast ... ARGH ... yes, I do like power and of course, speed, too

care to tell me advantage / disadvantage between about these two : Rev 1 vs Blast ... I saw the specification ... Blast is mixed with shockwave (which is going to be discontinued) and supersonic and a half a foot wider wingspan

<removed pics from quote to keep things compact>

I'm just saying rev1's fly slower and more graceful than 1.5's or rev2's. As far as sleepy and boring, the guys on the beach leaned back holding on for dear life are being pulled along the sand by rev1's. Pay extra attention to their knees that are about to burst!

<removed pic from quote to keep things compact>

How could you not love all that smoke coming off Lee S's feet? In real life, revs are revs! ESP! REV 1's

Hahah, nice pics.

Let's not confuse the OP, though. The last pic and the comment about Lee leads me to believe the guys in the first two pics are flying stacks of Rev I's. A stack will pull a lot more than a single kite.

DeafThunder, can you tell us a little more about what you are looking for in your next kite? Are you looking for something with pull/power? Are you looking for something fast or ??? Are you looking for something that would work well in a certain wind range that you don't already have covered with the kites you have? If so, what is that wind range? It could help with recommendations. You seem to be concerned with low wind flyability, high wind durability, and possibly an interest in power. I'm not sure you can get all of that in one kite, unfortunately, so you might need to decide what is more important for your next kite.

<removed pics from quote to keep things compact>

I'm just saying rev1's fly slower and more graceful than 1.5's or rev2's. As far as sleepy and boring, the guys on the beach leaned back holding on for dear life are being pulled along the sand by rev1's. Pay extra attention to their knees that are about to burst!

<removed pic from quote to keep things compact>

How could you not love all that smoke coming off Lee S's feet? In real life, revs are revs! ESP! REV 1's

Hahah, nice pics.

Let's not confuse the OP, though. The last pic and the comment about Lee leads me to believe the guys in the first two pics are flying stacks of Rev I's. A stack will pull a lot more than a single kite.

DeafThunder, can you tell us a little more about what you are looking for in your next kite? Are you looking for something with pull/power? Are you looking for something fast or ??? Are you looking for something that would work well in a certain wind range that you don't already have covered with the kites you have? If so, what is that wind range? It could help with recommendations. You seem to be concerned with low wind flyability, high wind durability, and possibly an interest in power. I'm not sure you can get all of that in one kite, unfortunately, so you might need to decide what is more important for your next kite.

Stacks ? ... a very good question, and I will wait for his response, whether it's stacked or not ... I know that I can not afford 3 more kites to fly the stacks

Exactly on the second paragraph ... that is my exactly point about getting the second kite ... You are correct that it is impossible to put all Rev Kites into One Kite ...

I kinda wish did not purchase the mid-vent and I still love it ... With blue masking tape covered the vents does help a lot to fly at low wind on a shorter lines (27') ... my mid-vent b-series is awesome at between 9 to 20mph ... I love it ... 20 vs 4 ? that is kinda huge margin ...

Hmm (thinking) ... hard to say ... first of all, I may get the 2 lines kite, next fall or two years from now ... my answers to your questions would like to have to be a huge kite to fly (of course, with power and speed) without using any of the blue masking tape at around 1mph ... my average wind in this Kentucky is like 6mph to 8mph and also, I want some good workout at higher wind speed, but just don't lift me up and dive straight down.

ALL of your opinions do help me to think clearly of what I would like to buy as my 2nd kite ... Appreciated.

This guy here in the video ... kinda rough on that (regular) Blast ... EASY !!! lol :) Oh, yeah, he slidded ... LOL

If you go to a mall, there is people spending money/credit like crazy. If you want to buy classic kites there is only one place to go if you want revs!

I still have old old rev1 curved logo never flown white/black and black/black stack! One white/black was flown but you wouldn't know it.

I have other sixpaks that start with 480# bridles to 240# line sets.

I'm an old man, 64 with health issues. But I won't give my stuff away.

I'm sorry Dragonfish, I wanted DeafThunder to know that there is much more than a second decision of being 2-4 or rev1. And everyone should taste and enjoy each of those quadline options. The dual line fliers are so much more talented, in their flying skills.

No need to apologize. I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't have posted them. Sorry if my post came across wrong. I wanted to point out that there may be more than what meets the eye at first. I didn't want DeafThunder to expect a single Rev I to be like that and then be disappointed after getting one if indeed those guys were flying stacks.

my answers to your questions would like to have to be a huge kite to fly (of course, with power and speed) without using any of the blue masking tape at around 1mph ... my average wind in this Kentucky is like 6mph to 8mph and also, I want some good workout at higher wind speed, but just don't lift me up and dive straight down.

A kite that will fly at 1mph will be a very light kite. This is usually achieved by using a very light frame. These kind of kites are often referred to as SULs (super ultralights) and are delicate by nature. They will break in higher winds. SULs generally have a limited wind range. Think about it this way... you have your mid-vent that can fly in 10mph to 20mph (no I didn't use your exact numbers, but bear with me). 20mph is twice the amount of wind as 10mph. Now think about 1mph. 2mph is twice that. 1 to 2 seems like a small difference, but it's twice as much wind. 10mph is ten times as much wind as 1mph! This is why it's hard to find a kite that will fly well in everything from 1mph to 20mph.

• Like 2

Wow ... I have not thought about 1mph times 2 VS 10mph times 2 ... extremely point taken ... thank you ... I probably have a couple last question ... on this Rev 1 :

1) of course, without any possible using stacks, does it still acts like a power kite ?
2) it would be nice to add Rev 1 toward to behind my B-Series as stack ... It may have to be the same size to stack, since both kite have a very similiar shape, except size is larger ... is this possible and doable ?

I can not see how blast and b-series stack together ... it's like putting a Corvette engine into a Pinto car.

Weather Updates ... and going to fly both kite ... on videos ... I will be back later :)

post-10149-0-97530300-1447343227_thumb.p