KiteLife Forum

WTB: Frame for EXP

FranckPG

Broke a piece of my travel frame and would like to buy a new frame for my EXP. Looking for a 2wrap or lighter. Travel size would be great if there is such a thing however I do need a back up. The travel frame did come with extra pieces but I better get a backup before I break anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighter than 3 wrap? 2 wrap, race, Zen for 1.5, or diamonds are the only thing come to mind. And unless special ordered - no travel option in those (that I know of). Consider making your own?? Got a Dremel tool? Fine tooth hacksaw? If you are willing - buy the frame of choice and make one! :ani_idea:

PS: another option is to make one from P-90 SkyShark rods!

• Like 1

Call your favorite retailer or Lolly direct @ Revolution.

Ask for what you want,... I've had Green Race and Diamond travel frames made for both the 1.5 and the Rev1/Zen formats. Buy a couple of extra pieces with (and w/o) ferules so you can go on flying, if you happen to break a single stick. I vinyl electrical tape two pieces together to make a three piece leading edge when in use, dismantling completely only when removing the frame entirely from the sail for travel. The extra ferrules make the tube stiffer, so allow for that fact of consideration during your acquisition evaluations.

SS P-90s are way cheaper than Diamonds, but not nearly as responsive in flight. You get what you pay for! Revolution's travel frame is reinforced at each edge of the tube, not just cut and ferruled as a compromise to obtain a shorter length.

I have kites with the two travel frames as hybrid mixed (4 diamonds and 2 Green Race) on the leading edge on the 1.5 platform.

My lightest SUL Bazzer Pro also sports a set of "Response 12" tapered down spars that are about an inch shorter than stock,... so the sail corner fabric ends at the frame on the bottom attachment points. This make the kite's balance point shift towards the leading edge, increasing the free glide of field recovery (from a leading edge down ~ at the top of the window starting position).

I also turn the down-spar attachment end-caps such that the knots, washers and end-cap itself FORCE a pronounced curve into the leading edge sleeve. This is the flight dynamics of a speed series kite. More efficient at penetrating the up-wind direction, or when thrown away from you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since I live in Europe where the Rev stuff is too expensive, I use (like many Europeans) the Skyshark P-90, P-200 and P-400. Ferules goes in with a little CyanoAcrylate. Some of my rods are with camo pattern in one end, as that was cheaper. I also see people use tapered verticals for even more flexibility.

They are a bit too long, so wrap tape around them, and cut with the dremel er whatever tool you have. The cut might have slightly sharper edges, so I always have the cut ends in the end-caps, to lessen wear on the sail.

You can always make a DIY travel kit. Just get some ferules, and start cutting a frame. The standard cutting dish for the Dremel has a small diameter, so it will not cut all the way through without turning the tube. Fine for the ends where I cut off the excess in 2 steps, but larger dishes would be preferred for a center cut

On November 25, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Paul LaMasters said:

Revolution's travel frame is reinforced at each edge of the tube, not just cut and ferruled as a compromise to obtain a shorter length.

This is key - if you cut your own, be sure to wrap the cut ends with packing tape, thread and epoxy or anything to make it stronger.

• Like 2