KiteLife Forum

NEW YORK MINUTE single vent impressions?

jlab

Are there many NYM single vent fliers?  I believe it would be perfect for our lower wind days with occasional gusts.

There seems to be a lot of reviews/comments on the mid vent which is closer to the NYM double vent.

From Revolutions site,

"NYM 4 Quiver Includes:

• Standard sail: No venting, light to medium winds, 3-8 mph.
  • Single vent: 20% venting, perfect for bumpy winds, 7-12 mph.
  • Double vent: 42% venting (9% over the mid-vent B-Series), 10-18 mph.
  • Triple vent: 70% venting (between full and extra vent), 16+ mph."

I fly inland winds, which can be gusty.  Four lines kites in my quiver are list below.

Supersonic vented 4 line stunt kite (Revolution)

5m 4 line traction (Pansh)

2.5m 4 line stunt (Spider)

2.5m 2 line can convert to 4 line stunt (Prism Snapshot foil)

What are your impressions or comments on the NYM single vent?

Thank you all for your time, this is a great site.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Leon

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  I lurked for a bit myself.  Don't have any NYM experience but I am really interested in the posts that will follow from those that have the new wings.  Join us in chat if you see the "chat badge" lit up. You can get instant answers to many questions there.  Glad you're posting now.  SHBKF

Hi, Jlab. Good to have you join in the discussions. How many mph are your "lower wind days"?

I own a standard sail NYM, and have flown the standard and the single-vent NYM. They feel a bit smoother than other panel layouts on the 1.5 size sails, and IMHO are a pleasure to fly. However, the three-vent leaves you quite a bit short of an extra-vent, so you may find yourself grounded on days when the wind is over 25 mph. An experienced pilot can fly the single vent down to about 4 mph, and up to about 15 mph without a frame change. Once you start mixing and matching the frames, you can get the standard sail down to about 2.5 mph and up to 20mph, and the three-vent down to about 11 mph and up to 40-something-ish.

The factory-given wind range can be stretched in both directions without change, and pushed to extremes with some variation from norm. Unfortunately, there is no "one kite for all wind ranges", so it would help to have more than one in your bag.

Hi Mark,

Your question: "How many mph are your "lower wind days"?" 

They are around 5-8 mph.   Bumpy wind, gusty at times.

I have the supersonic vented for fun in the higher wind days, (great fun).   

I was looking for impressions or comments on the NYM single vent.  Your comment about "They feel a bit smoother than other panel layouts on the 1.5 size sails" is the kind of information I was looking for. 

I will be buying a NYM over the winter, probably a single vent, just because of the bumpy winds.  

I know NYM is a great kite from the reviews, just looking for single vent feed back.

Also is the red one really faster than the purple? :-D

Have an awesome day,

Leon

Not sure if this helps.

I live in Kentucky and flying inland, too (not ocean) at recreational flat parks (best place to fly is the huge flat farm land) ...when I fly mid-vent b-series or Rev 1 ... I am still having a hard time to keep it "freeze" still, because I get 180° multi-directions & 8 mph range yo-yo wind (example 2-10 or 8-16) ... wind is just yo-yo just about nearly every 2 minutes, until a good constant straight wind storm all day long... I simply find mid-vent b-series and full sail rev 1 on 80' #90 at its best at 15-20 mph wind ... I bought the Rev 1 to fly on lower wind like 5 mph on a shorter lines ... change/mixed up the frame do helps ... but I can not see the wind or feel the wind much to give me some hint to keep my Rev 1 afloat alot longer yet ... I need more practice, a LOT more practice ... like one said " experienced pilot can fly the single vent down to about 4 mph"

I guess what I am saying is that ... once you know your kite flying experience on different kites ... especially bumpy inland wind ... then you should know which vent you should get, because of your location's wind ... not their location wind.

I find that most people flying kites near ocean or on beach, rather than inland ...

... therefore, inland (multi-direction yo-yo wind) vs ocean/beach (one way straight constant wind)

Good luck on your NYM choice :)

I don't get to the beach that often, twice in the last 3-4 years and know a bit about variable bumpy inland winds. At 5-8mph would see me still on a Standard (full sail). Tuning can account for quite a bit of variation of the winds you fly. Extend your top leaders out, become more "brake heavy" and you can ride the gusts a bit easier.

Although I must say a single vent NYM with a Black Race frame would be awefully smoooooth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like green race frame better over black frame, but that's my opinion, plus I have already broke spare rods that is lower than green race frame ... since I have no more spare rods to use except leading edge ... I already ordered green race frame set for b-series and rev 1 as well ... 

bending the green race rod ... it is almost unbreakable ... it may not be ideal for super light wind.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4505-new-ultra-race-rods-from-rev/

post-81-12877071697.jpg

I like green race frame better over black frame, but that's my opinion, plus I have already broke spare rods that is lower than green race frame ... since I have no more spare rods to use except leading edge ... I already ordered green race frame set for b-series and rev 1 as well ... 

bending the green race rod ... it is almost unbreakable ... it may not be ideal for super light wind.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4505-new-ultra-race-rods-from-rev/

post-81-12877071697.jpg.ccaca70e46d46645677e6dfd0acd7071.jpg

I've never had the experience with the Green race frame. One day though.

An ideal set of kites that would allow you to suit all wind conditions would go:

Standard or Full sail,

Single vent NYM,

Mid vent B,

Double vent NYM,

Vtd B,

Triple vent NYM,

XTRA B Pro.

This is just purely in ascending vented sails. Forgoing frames and placement of the vents.

@jlab -- The vented kite is always smoother than a non-vented. The NYM feels smoother than the comparable B or B-Pro because of the difference in panel layout.

The red looks faster than the purple, but in reality flies at the same speed. The lime green, on the other hand, will just smoke them both.

• Like 2

I'm surprised to hear that, almost all the ace pilots have reported a mid-body flutter in half the the NYM sails that go out, kind a slight dual line rumble in the body of the kite, has to do with how the seams tension up.

This happens rarely if ever in any of the B's, SLEs, even the EXP.

• Like 1

I have only flown the Standards. My experience was as described by John. A flutter throughout the window that was not "tunable". The only time flutter could be controlled ... was flying at way slower speeds than should be capable of the sail. Which....if flying team...you are done...or stuck buzzing everywhere.

I do know that is how Rev pushes them....as the "smoothest" flying sail. Not so...for me atleast.

I have a NYM, and it is impossible to tune the flutter out of flight. It drives me crazy, the NYM just doesn't have the smoothness that my B's, Pro and non, have. A newer pilot might not notice it, but I sure do. I believe it has something to do with the way the seams are sewn, and stretching that causes the flutter. Very annoying.

There are at least six among the members of IKE, including me, and no one has mentioned any flutter in his/her NYM. 

I will check with them on the IKE forum to find out if anyone has experienced this and post back here within a week or two.

• Like 1

Four strings and a Rev, hard to go wrong -  tell us all about your first flights! :)

Also, you know about extended leaders on top? Seriously, this is a must do... $2 worth of bridle line makes any Rev infinitely more controllable.

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5530-pigtails-tuning-your-rev-with-knotted-leaders/

Four strings and a Rev, hard to go wrong -  tell us all about your first flights!

Also, you know about extended leaders on top? Seriously, this is a must do... $2 worth of bridle line makes any Rev infinitely more controllable.

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5530-pigtails-tuning-your-rev-with-knotted-leaders/

JB's wife, TK, makes a set of leaders that are pro level. Goes onto any rev handles. Priced very well at $US6. And that's posted! Worth every cent in my opinion. Choice of colours too.

http://johnbarresi.com/gear/

Link to JB's gear page.

• Like 1