KiteLife Forum

The Reflex

photomom

On April 18, 2016 at 0:36 PM, Wayne Dowler said:

So they didn't fold the LE sleeve over like a Pro or NYM? Fray time! How about reinforcing strips where the LE folds? I haven't seen the new cap system, but those rods are bigger (5/16" compared to 1.5 1/4" rods) so that needs to be scaled down if it's going to be the new norm for their other platforms.

I know you like the French bridle Paul - think it will lend itself to it? From the reports of those at KP, the Reflex was as good or better than a Zen in light wind - without the Reflex springs in it!! Did you try it without them?? Heard that without the springs, it flew pretty much like any other Rev! 

And those handles!!?? I get the adjustable idea, but do you think it will hold up to rigorous use?

Maybe another testing session is in order! At least you got one near you to try!!

Hi Wayne,

I didn't look that closely at the reinforcement patches (who cares if they fray really?, THAT will not be the cause of failure) along the leading edge.  The new rods and cap system is an internal ferrule styled cap of the very hard white plastic type. Drilled out and shaped too, so the elastic shock cord and Hi-Test bridle line "seats comfortably within".  The old cap/tube was an external fitting and the cap's edges were almost sharpened by comparison.  I can't tell you how many bridle loops have been worn thru over the years!

I didn't find the wiggle in the Reflex sail (as on the zen when shaken stoutly) probably in part due to the pronounced curvature built into the leading edge, INCHES of curve.  It doesn't cup air, it delivers it in cubic yards like from a dump truck!

There's no way to easily remove the mechanism for testing w/o, so we didn't try that.  With time though the other side will also loosen sufficient that Fletch could dismantle the loaner from Lolly.

My bridle preferences are based upon hours and hours of experimentation.  I'd have to own one for testing, but I'm certain it could be improved.  What are your will to give up in exchange for increases in other directions?  I'll take a kite that is real twitchy, no slop in the bridle or frame to dilute and smooth out the flight dynamics.  My preferences are the extreme to be sure, but they were formed over decades, ruined some may say!

I always recommend a set of magic sticks first if folks want to change the flight dynamics.  Ownership of a Reflex would be experimental in that regard for me too,... ultimate goal of the "sticks" is a clam-shell roll-up (free, by releasing the kite into the wind standing upright) and improve glide (from leading edge down).  If you don't get those two items you've only added a set of kick-stands or a spot to hang LED strobes behind the sail (backlighting).

Handles?  Well the ones Fletch had with the Reflex system weren't to my liking.  Some folks loved it and looked like they had been flying in no wind for all of their lives, a deep and instant connection.  That wasn't my impression at all, but the Zen had to grow on me as well,...heck I though the 1.5 platform was a compromise most fliers wouldn't accept too!

Going to MIKE/Maske in Ocean City this weekend (tomorrow actually) and supposedly there will be a rev representative there with a reflex, certainly Fletch will drag along his loaner.  I'm staying with Cath/Eliot Shook, so they will be looking carefully at the product to see it it is worthy of inventory or special order item (like everything else I want from them!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The target audience is the person who hasn't succeeded much in low/no wind previously (they will be so thrilled!) this kite will fly when not much else stays airborne, you cannot make it fail in flight!

I cannot recommend your Reflex acquisition until an understanding of how replacement parts or repairs will be handled is shared,  . . . .... durability is not a current priority of the mission.

I got a set of the new funky Rev handles to play with too.  You have to physically force your thumb down on top of the handle to prevent sloppy commands, but it was an auction item and we all need to support the festivals somehow.

Buy a hard tube (map-case styled, art supplies store) for the kite and protect the delicate mechanism.  It you don't wad it up at the end of your flights,  you'll probably wear thru a spar before the spring thingy fails.

Ian Willoughby and I beat it unmercifully for a few sessions, nothing fell off or was judged in any way "no fun".

I am not the trusted voice of reason to listen to about this product, more like Charles Barkley recommending investment strategies.  You owe it to yourself to try one!  At this point some retail customers are receiving product, but I don't know if all the dealers have even seen it yet.

first adopter technology is always risky (sometimes hugely rewarding too), but I will have a reflex eventually, then make it fly the way I want after a few months of experiments w/club-mates.

• Like 3

I got to fly the Reflex a couple of times this past week.  

The first time the winds were 8-10 mph and gusty.  I was amazed how well the full sail handled the gusts.  It seems to me to be a slower flyer but easy to handle.  It didn't seem to want to reverse very well but that may have been because I wasn't used to the handles and line settings.

The second flight went much better as I had more time and could set the brake where I was comfortable and in control.  The wind this time was 5-7 mph and pretty smooth.  Again the Reflex seemed slower in flight but handled reverse much better.  At times it seemed to drift in the wind and feel soft on the handles.  I had and easier time with inverse hover which I've never been able to do well.  I didn't try the launch from a flat position.     

Bear in mind, I'm not that good of a Rev flyer.  I don't do tricks nor fly team.  I'm not into the technical aspects nor making modifications to my kites.  I did like the Reflex more than I thought I would.  I'm thinking the next time I may set up the Reflex and a 1.5 and try them side-by-side.

My concern is the springs.  I already see how they can bend out of shape after repeated assemblies and dis-assemblies.  And the little velcro pad comes off the spring easily.

So there you are.  My thoughts.

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 5