KiteLife Forum

Group video roundtable for subscribers? (monthly)

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of a monthly 1-hour group video meeting available to KiteLife subscribers at no additional charge, covering a different topic each month (dual line control, dual line tricks, quad flying, team flying, urban flying, dogstake flying, indoor, etc, etc)... All skill levels welcome, I'm thinking it might be a good way for our subscribers to be able to "pick brains" real-time.

In addition to myself, we could even expand to include another guest "ace" or two on the topic of the day, giving us 2-3 folks with strong experience on the subject at hand.

I'm wondering if this would be of interest to anyone?

Biggest obstacle is choosing a good medium... Skype now allows group video for free, but no more than 10 at a time.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34454/what-s-new-with-group-video-calling

Thoughts on possible systems we could use?

Looks like Google Hangout also tops out at 10 participants as well. :(

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3111943?hl=en

If this is the industry standard, may just have to use a RSVP system, first come, first serve.

One really cool feature: A YouTube button in the bottom toolbar allows you to search for videos that you can then watch in the main screen within Google Hangouts. Since Hangouts automatically mutes your mic during playback, no one else can hear you over the YouTube video’s sound; a 'Push to Talk' button lowers the video’s sound and turns on your mic if you need to interject in the hangout conversation before the video is over.

Bottom line: Google Hangouts is a great way to gather a small crowd to video chat--as long as everyone has a Google account. If you’re on a laptop, you may want to use it only for short chats, as smaller computers can easily overheat after running Hangouts for a long time.

More info...

"Skype – When more than 10 participants join, video conferencing and screensharing get disabled for everyone. Â After this, the call continues and up to 25 participants can join for audio-only conferencing."

"Google Hangouts – There is a hard cap of 10 participants. Â Anyone else who joins the conference will be put into spectator mode. Â They can hear the conference, but not participate. Â I’m intrigued by Google Hangouts, but the 10 person limit is a deal-breaker."

Hrm... :/

I believe the solution you might be looking for is a "webinar" with only the instructors having video and everyone else having the ability to text or voice their questions. It gets too much of a cacophony if you have everyone being able to have a video feed. Problem with Skype and Hangouts is that the main window goes immediately to the last person making audio, so all it takes is for someone to have an opinionated dog, or even just a bad case of the sniffles, to steal the live feed permanently 😂

• Like 1