KiteLife Forum

What kite festivals are on your list?

SparkieRob

Simple question.

What kite festivals are on your list to attend?

Are you going to just watch or fly? Even compete?

SLK's, stunters, quads, freestyle, precision or a little of everything?

Do you piggy back festivals that are close both geographically and time wise?

Reason I ask is we are planning a US Tour as a family holiday. Not going everywhere the first time. Most likely West Coast due to Disney Land is that side. Which puts the festivals that side a little higher. HOWEVER, as we will be leaving Oz to get to the US that doesn't mean th East coast is out. My wife likes NYC for Christmas too! 

Then there is the Europe trip...

The Asian trip...

I'll upfront and say WSIKF is a high priority to attend. It looks hugely popular and hugely attended. And goes for a week which fits a tourist travel very well.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with WSIKF, I think it's probably the most robust (and longest) kite event in North America these days... Something for everyone and a whole week to enjoy it. :)

I've been to so many events over the years, two that stand out as having escaped me so far are:

Cervia, Italy

Fanö, Denmark

Definitely on my list, as I hear they are two of the very best for seeing kite CREATIVITY in terms of art, innovation and play. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Events?? Straining my brain to remember them all:

Apr. 2nd & 3rd Rogue Valley Windchasers Fun Fly, Crescent City, CA

Apr. 9 PDX Indoor Jamboree @ Oregon Soccer Center, Clackamas, OR

Apr. 16th Rogue Valley Windchasers & Longsword Vineyard, Wine Tasting and Fun Fly

Apr 16-17 Kites and Hugs, Ocean Shores, WA

May 6-7 Kite Festival/Fun Fly, Rigby High School, Rigby, Idaho

May 20-22 Victoria International Kite Festival, Victoria, BC

May 27-30 Rockaway Beach “Go Fly a Kite” Festival, Rockaway Beach, OR

June 4-5 Festival of Colors, Ocean Shores, WA

LC%202016-KiteFest%20festival.jpgJune 25-26 Lincoln City Summer Kite Festival, Lincoln City, OR “Windstock” is the theme (wear your tie dye shirts)

July 15-17 Southern Oregon Kite Festival (SOKF) in Brookings, OR “Carousel of Kites” is the theme

Aug 15-21 Washington State International Kite Festival (WSIKF), Long Beach, WA

And that doesn't include the LC fall fest or AKA national convention dates!

• Like 1

Disney World is on the other coast Florida and much much bigger, 43 Square miles compare to Disneyland's 116 acres.

Do you have a festival that you want to attend?

The size difference was a factor, World is just too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The biggest Kite Festival that I've been to is Wildwood... been a few times. BUT, from pictures of other events that I've seen, it certainly doesn't look like a top 10 must-see event. There are other, smaller festivals that I've been to that were much more fun, too.

But... if you're doing the NYC Holiday thing with the family, and want to break free for some flyin' fun, let me know. I'm only an hour from the city & can hook you up with some local knowledge, and some kites if you just wanna fly !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

Do you have a festival that you want to attend?

The size difference was a factor, World is just too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want yes, will no. I bought my place 15 years ago for one reason, flying. Mowing almost non-stop is the price I pay. So I make my own kite festival.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Barresi said:

RobB, when was your first Wildwood?

Was a WAY different scene in the 90s (my first was 1992), and even in the mid 2000s. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Hahaha... 2009, I think. I know, it's just not the same. I got into the kiting scene about a decade too late. I mean, I was flying, but had no idea about organized events back then.

I saw you there a few years ago, probably the lightest turnout that I've ever seen there, that year. It was better last year, but really nothing compared to pictures I see of Berkeley, WSIKF, Fano, Berk, etc...

13 hours ago, hyzakite said:

Want yes, will no. I bought my place 15 years ago for one reason, flying. Mowing almost non-stop is the price I pay. So I make my own kite festival.

Kind of building my own festival out of necessity too. Not a thing here on the west side of Oz. I'll know when I've done it, I'll have my own Peter Lynn octopus!

• Like 2