KiteLife Forum

Quad line equality for new pilot

JamesC

2 questions for my fellow flyers:

1- Would it be advantageous to equalize all 4 lines during the initial "learning to fly" phase? What about after skills progress? I anticipate I'll always be learning! I am very interested in extended knotted leaders, but don't have experience enough yet to know where to start  with them  

2- Anyone reasonably near Louisiana that would help a new rev pilot shorten his learning curve? 

Thanks in advance!

Yes to equalizing lines!! An "off" line will allow the kite to steer itself - no good!

here is a link to leaders w/pix -  http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4409-my-leaders-your-thoughts/  JB sells a nice set of leaders through here - got several sets and love them!

Have you joined the Rev forum? Lot of info over there too! Try the member map on both here and the Rev page, you might find someone close!

If I can give you one piece of advice - Learn to " Give to the Kite!!"!! If the kite is going to crash - let it! Take a step or two FORWARD to lessen the crash. Pulling just drives the kite into the ground that much harder! Better to go straighten out, than find a broken kite at the end of the lines.

I have tops equalized and bottoms equalized but not quite equalized to each other. 

I have looked at the leaders and I'm sure there are some in my future, after I gain some experience. 

And most definitely I always try to give all I can to the kite when a crash is imminent. I had browsed forums and read that even before I got my first quad. 

10 hours ago, JamesC said:

I have tops equalized and bottoms equalized but not quite equalized to each other. 

I have looked at the leaders and I'm sure there are some in my future, after I gain some experience. 

And most definitely I always try to give all I can to the kite when a crash is imminent. I had browsed forums and read that even before I got my first quad. 

STOP!! Change the leaders now - don't wait for more experience! All you are doing is ingraining habits that you'll need to break later. Start off learning with the leaders and you won't need to relearn things later!! 

Since my new B series comes with adjustable leaders, I will order a set for my SLE.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I found I wanted the extra brake on my "B" handles. I have JB leaders on all my handles now. Worth the investment to start learning one way.

5717d5ecd9d22_ImageUploadedByKiteLife1461461179839.812881.jpg]

My sentiment exactly! Thanks y'all.

So then the general consensus would be to have all 4 lines the exact same length?

I did get to play with my SLE for a while before visiting Kewl Kites and buying a new B series they just received from Revolution! Just wanted to share my joy, yes I'm like a kid on Christmas morning!!

• Like 1

The idea of having all 4 lines the same length is ideal in theory, but having the longer set on the bottom works just fine. The top lines will stretch soon enough and catch up to the longer lines on the bottom thus making all 4 lines the same length for just a short moment. Then you'll favor one side to the other stretching the left or right top faster than the less favored side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparkieRob said:

Your hands will also correct the minor differences tour eyes see. That is, if your not going straight enough you'll automatically adjust.

It's lots of fun!!!

Lots of fun is an understatement!!! 😆

I loved flying at the beach today, as I finally had some consistent wind, both in direction and continuity! I'm still grinning! The iffy winds locally I had been dealing with were definitely frustrating for a Rev newbie. 

No fun trying to keep the kite up while you're figuring out the control aspect! Helps having steady wind that makes the flying part easy, then you learn more about what works! But once you get it under control - you'll find that light wind flying is a challenge! Not everyone can make it happen!

Just an update, since it is a windless day here in Louisiana I had to do something kite related. So I equalized my lines for the SLE. Interesting find, my bottom lines were off a second time. After comparing them to top lines, I found I had one bottom line that was shorter than the other 3 lines. So armed with knowledge from JB's tutorial above, I actually had enough excess line beyond the sleeve to lengthen that offensive line. Now all 4 lines are equal (for the moment lol). Can't wait to have some wind to fly on 4 equal lines! :D

• Like 1

That's a good start and trust me your notice the difference , the guys on here are ace and always keen to help , if you have some spare time have a read of my thread in new members introductions with the title HI

Hope the good winds find you soon

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

Ideally, all four lines should be of equal length. If not, the two top lines should be of equal length, and the two bottom lines should be of equal length. When the tops stretch and become longer than the bottoms, switch the bottom lines to the top. When they stretch they will equalize with the others.

• Like 1

Amazing, mine probably have 4 inches of bottom slack compared to top. I added TK leaders and tuned to a near neutral point. Looks like another adjustment to make. I assume four equal lines make very fine flying (handle) corrections.

50 minutes ago, Mike Klaiber said:

Amazing, mine probably have 4 inches of bottom slack compared to top. I added TK leaders and tuned to a near neutral point. Looks like another adjustment to make. I assume four equal lines make very fine flying (handle) corrections.

You should get the top and bottom lines to within 1" of difference in length, eventually. For now, just use the shorter lines on top and monitor the change in length over a dozen or so flying sessions. If they don't stretch any -- and I doubt that they will stretch anywhere near four inches -- you should adjust them to match. Watch the line equalization video by John Barresi. It's a pain in the butt to do, however, you should do it. The other method some pilots use is to tie additional knots in the sleeving that forms the attachment loops at both ends of each line. Each simple overhand knot you tie will decrease the length by about 1/2". If you tie figure-eight knots you lose close to an inch. You can lose even more by tying a surgeon's loop, but the knot will be quite bulky. Tie the knot where it won't make the end loop too small to work with easily. Tying knots is a quick and easy cheat in the field, but is not as effective as true equalization, and any knot you tie (intentionally or not) anywhere in the lines will decrease their strength.

In kite flying, just a little bit of logic goes a long way. Remember, it's kite flying after all, not rocket science.

Keep smiling, and don't forget to breathe.

Thanks Mak! I have evened lines but matched top and bottom from the video. Just thought the difference was normal as that's how the line set came. Like you described, next time I tune I will try all of them even. The more I fly the better it is. I am just trying to get that hover and spin ten feet off the ground with control and maybe the slack is making it more challenging.

The unequal lines throw off all the mental and physical reference points that you form as you learn. Every time something changes your mind and body have to re-adjust. Just makes it a bit more difficult to be consistent in your efforts, but eventually your mind and muscle memory will settle into a groove and it will become instinctive.