KiteLife Forum

What camera ??

kevmort

I use a GoPro, a Canon DSLR, and a Samsung digital camcorder. I pretty much just leave them on the ground, pointing towards the area that I'm flying. I like the 'pilot's eye' perspective, other angles don't make sense to my eyes when I watch them...

I use a GoPro, a Canon DSLR, and a Samsung digital camcorder. I pretty much just leave them on the ground, pointing towards the area that I'm flying. I like the 'pilot's eye' perspective, other angles don't make sense to my eyes when I watch them...

I'm with you on that Rob. To the extent that I struggle to interpret which way round the kite is when the camera is facing the flier. Is that just me?

7 hours ago, jaydub200 said:

I'm with you on that Rob. To the extent that I struggle to interpret which way round the kite is when the camera is facing the flier. Is that just me?

In a lot of videos, I can't tell what's going on, when the camera is too far to the side, or like you say... facing the pilot. But... that fact does make me realize why most onlookers aren't interested in sport kites, they can't tell what's going on, either.

The Chest mount is a good perspective, but most body-cam videos are too bouncy to be watchable. I've had best luck using a mono-pod stuck in the sand, giving the camera a little height helps to keep the foreground from dominating the frame.

I prefer to use a Hollywood camera crew, shooting at least seven different angles, on-location in the Bahamas and other luxurious destinations, using original music specifically written for each flying session played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, and incorporating three or four PiP panels in the finished video. 

That's why there's no video of me flying -- Can't afford it yet!

• Like 2

So this is a question I've been fiddling with for a while. It really depends on what you plan to do with the footage, I believe.

For personal improvement, some people place the camera at their back and up high enough so they can see both hand movements and kite performance.

For your standard "VF" type of clips, when you want a short film demonstrating the most of your abilities, with little reference to yourself, and a lot to the kite, a regular DSLR or a GoPro type camera, both on a short stand in front of you would do the trick. It should be pointed out that the GoPro makes the kite look much smaller than with the DSLR, but allows a bigger filming window.

Normally I would use a Gorilla stand standing on the roof of my vehicle, with either my phone, or an action camera, and film from the side or the back of the kite, or a few meters in front of me, to allow more field but less me. I like videos with multiple angles, like the ones of KarelOh, I feel it gives you a better sense and feel of the trick, and the kite's abilities.

I've used a GoPro type action camera, a Xiaomi Yi, in two clips I've made, mounted on the kite itself, for the purpose of giving kite tricks a new perspective.

I would love to have 2 (two) of this https://shop.soloshot.com/ as a gift ... you can attach the transmitter to kite and on yourself and both cameras will follow ... I really like that ... ... imagine it ... in Picture in Picture :) 

p.s. it can zoom in or out if transmitter is too far away or too close up

I really like this Contour Roam Action Camera

I would choose Contour Roam 1 HD or Roam 3 ... because great quality and affordable (only like 15 dollars difference) ... Roam 1 HD is hard to find ... so, better off to get Roam 3

• Like 1

oh, &?/;#

i dont think i have the gut to throw it anywhere, especially the bridge !!! (laughing) ... extremely nice !

(choking) $1,250 USD 

Horizon Blade Chroma Camera Drone - 4K CGO3, ST-10+ for $900 USD

please do talk about it, so we can learn more about it :)

I really like the programming setup ... I am not a fan of "TOP" 3rd person view videos ... except over the water which is more suitable for it ... I wonder how well airdog or drone flying ability at 1 foot above the ground and following a skateboarder like 3 feet behind right side of me ? ... can drone avoiding any things like trash cans, trees, people, dogs, traffic, cars in the path of where I am going at ? ... swinging baseball bat is out of the question (laughing) maybe chasing the baseball or golfball (laughing) at 120mph ... now that is a good question and probably already done it with several flaws