KiteLife Forum

Venting Standard Sail

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has Vented their standard sail Rev?

How critical is following the Normal Vent pattern and does it make a difference position / size or placement as long as it mirrors or is symetrical to the opposite side???

Thanks in advance

T

I made myself a custom Rev 1 to my design then vented

my factory Rev 1.

In my opinion I would keep symmetry as near as possible not only for venting area but for weight distribution as well !

Bill

CUSTOM REV 1 .JPG

REV 1 VENTED.JPG

You should not put vents in the center panel. It needs to "belly out" some to create lift. Other than that anything is fair game. There are some made for extremely strong wind where the entire sail is vented. Google "vented rev" and look at the images.

Also search for "tea bag rev"

Put safe search on though otherwise you'll get a few unsavoury pictures.

Mega vent rev works too.

I am going to tea bag the front EXP of my 2 stack. One day.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Edit:

One thing I remember is that lots of smaller holes work better than one big one. It has to do with the turbulence created as the air passes through the hole.

1 hour ago, SparkieRob said:

One thing I remember is that lots of smaller holes work better than one big one. It has to do with the turbulence created as the air passes through the hole.

I had not noticed  :ani_whistling:

SUPERVENT.JPG

• 4 months later...

I know I am getting in on this discussion late but I thought the following information might still be useful.

I am in the middle of replacing 6 existing vents in a rev-style kite that I made after noticing how the rev kite sail stresses when under wind load.  The screen material used for the vents is directional in regards to strength under tension.  It is strongest when it is stretched perpendicular to the sides of the squares in the mesh (actually very small rectangles in most cases).  Stretching the material diagonal to the squares makes it behave like a giant "rubber band"!

When deciding on the original orientation of the mesh weave I predicted that most of the tension would be in the direction of the leading edge but it was obvious after watching the kite fly in strong wind that this was wrong.  It made the kite feel "springy" and you could see the material "gather" across the vertical spars at the bottom 2/3rds of the kite.

The tension for the bottom 2/3rds of the kite appears to actually pull from the angled sides of the kite towards the center.  I have replaced the vents in the lower 2/3rds of the kite in this orientation and will be looking for some strong wind to test the mod out and see if the "springiness" goes away; I suspect that it will.

In the case of the standard revolution panel designs, the entire vent, from the bottom edge to the leading edge, is oriented with the sides of the mesh squares towards the sides of the kite sail.  My sail design panel layout is quite different than this but the location and shape of the vents are very similar; they just cross multiple panels and I have sewn each vent individually into each of these panels.