KiteLife Forum

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11, 2016)

John Barresi

Join us for two full days of quad instruction near Fort Macon on the beautiful shore of Atlantic Beach, North Carolina on September 10-11, 2016... We'll be covering everything from absolute basics (pure beginner) all the way up through advanced techniques as well as both introductory and advanced team flying that is proven to help your skills along much quicker while having a ton of fun at the same time in a very forgiving environment.

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11 2016)

Ideal choice of equipment for this class is any model of Revolution 1.5 (includes EXP, SLE, B-Series, printed specials, etc) - we'll go through painless equipment set up, good tuning and all aspects of flight - the goal here is to demystify quad flying and set you up to win.

Testimonials - http://tinyurl.com/jb-testimonials

Registration is $175 per person ($150 for KiteLife Subscribers) and includes full access to the clinic on both days (10a-4p)... Please note, there are ONLY 12 2 SPOTS left available and we expect them to fill up very quickly.

If you're coming, we start the "Quad 101" portion of this class at 10AM SHARP on Saturday morning... It's jam packed with invaluable information and first time attendees are encouraged to consider attendance mandatory, lots of little details that add dimension to your set up and flight experience.

DIRECTIONS - https://goo.gl/maps/ZPgrZN4AKX82

In front of the fort, there is a walk way to the beach. It will be on your right as you drive in. Fliers will generally park and walk back to that walkway. Then there is a wide beach area to fly in, but you can call me directly via 503-890-0290 on the day of to find out where we may be flying.

For anyone who needs equipment or parts while in town, you can get pretty much anything you need from the Dixon family and Kites Unlimited & BirdStuff, etc., just a few minutes away from the field.

Currently registered:

Hope to see you there!

11329763_10153434909727164_4448950695824787012_n.jpg

• Like 5

Pain-free?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Some folks have just had bad luck trying to fly in the past - I've got a decent track record of helping even the most uncomfortable fliers get a little more comfortable, and I still owe her a few minutes from last year even though she wasn't in the clinic - a promise to a friend. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Some folks have just had bad luck trying to fly in the past - I've got a decent track record of helping even the most uncomfortable fliers get a little more comfortable, and I still owe her a few minutes from last year even though she wasn't in the clinic - a promise to a friend. :)

Nuts. I was hoping for a miracle cure.

• Like 1

For something on the less expensive side, there's Hollowell's Family Motel in Atlantic Beach.  It's not far from Fort Macon.

If you're looking for something more luxurious, there's the Doubletree by HIlton in Atlantic Beach.  It's a lot further down the beach than Hollowell's and is on the oceanfront.  It has a pier, a small bar at the pier and a steak restaurant on site.

There's also the family-owned  Atlantis Lodge and Seahawk Motor Lodge which are both oceanfront and are also in Atlantic Beach.

If you don't want to stay on the beach, there are some motels available in Morehead City.  They are about a 20-25 minute drive from Fort Macon but it's not a bad drive that time of year.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I forgot about two more places to stay for the NC Quad Clinic.  The Hampton Inn and Suites in Pine Knoll Shores.  It's across the highway from the Atlantis Lodge.  Pine Knoll Shores and Atlantic Beach city limits abut each other so don't let the community names confuse you.  And there is the Palm Suites located in Atlantic Beach, located just down the road from the main intersection onto the island.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what is in stock.  Especially after the changes Rev is making.  But check out the local kite store, Kites Unlimited. 

Or you can call them at (252) 247-7011 and talk to them about getting one and having it there when you come down for the clinic.  

• Like 2

Got to meet Lynn at ODSKC this past weekend, one familiar face in the crowd! Can't wait! Might there be kites in the B nature available for sale? I found that I need a Rev SUL with 50# line after this weekend too!!!

Not that I'm trying to talk you OUT of getting another kite...

Consider the Diamond Frame in a Full sail as an alternative.

What is your lightest wind frame? I used to use a 2 frame but found Black Race a better fit for my style. Now I use Diamonds in my 1.5SUL from 0 to about 16km/h.

• Like 3

Hey Rob, if I read this correctly you still use a super light kite plus diamond frame? I have a standard kite but maybe diamond is a better option to try versus another sail. 2 wraps are the lightest I have along with 12" kickstand. I actually thought I was doing ok until I tried 9' light setup of Paul LaMasters and knew my setup was a flying brick.

19 minutes ago, Mike Klaiber said:

Hey Rob, if I read this correctly you still use a super light kite plus diamond frame? I have a standard kite but maybe diamond is a better option to try versus another sail. 2 wraps are the lightest I have along with 12" kickstand. I actually thought I was doing ok until I tried 9' light setup of Paul LaMasters and knew my setup was a flying brick.

He uses a diamond frame and SUL together, along with sticks and French bridle. Paul likes the Zen format, so do I, but we both use a different way to get to our liking! I use sticks, but use a hybrid frame also, made up of a 2 wrap center, bl. race wings and Zen verts. He uses sticks, a French bridle, and diamond rods in his Zen. Both work for us. I also have an SUL with sticks and diamonds - I call it my mini Zen for team flying.

Jb could outfly me with a brick in his hands, so don't get too caught up in chasing equipment to solve all problems. Technique will serve you much better! Remember that in light wind - there are no freebies, in Paul's words - ya gotta want it!!

• Like 1

It was really nice to meet Mike at ODSKC this past weekend.  Mike can attest to my ability to consistently crash a kite in the shortest time interval.  I am very excited about the clinic.   

Are there any B-Series kites that an enthusiastic newbie should get before they are all gone?

• Like 1

Oh I want it ok, lol, heard that a lot recently over two days- hoping JB will help tune it so I can at least competently compete in October, making "17" my novice "move up" dream come true! Thanks! Sounds like a little experimentation is necessary too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lynn Pugh said:

It was really nice to meet Mike at ODSKC this past weekend.  Mike can attest to my ability to consistently crash a kite in the shortest time interval.  I am very excited about the clinic.   

Are there any B-Series kites that an enthusiastic newbie should get before they are all gone?

While not completely sure Rev isn't going to produce something like them - my suggestion is at least a STD and VTD. With those 2 Sails and the 3 frames (2, 3, 4 wrap), you should be able to handle most winds. If your budget allows - grab a MID too. While there is enough overlap in the other kite's wind range, a MID does have a sweet spot too.