KiteLife Forum

NC Quad Clinic (Sep 10-11, 2016)

John Barresi

I know about sparrow fart breeze here in Maryland. I have had moments where I struggle to stay aloft. I need better skills so I can enjoy what wind I do get, and so I can feel safer in smaller areas where spectators come along. Lately I have been using the empty fairgrounds parking fields just because of the room to move and no people. However they mow so infrequently I have thought about creating a new trick that involves popping the big flowers off of clovers with my kite lines. I won't be able to leave MD until around 2, so maybe in NC around 8:30?

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Klaiber said:

Anyone getting in on Friday and want to fly? I am hoping to get in early afternoon and want to get used to some wind. Been hot and humid in Va with sparrow farts (sorry but a perfect description) as a breeze occasionally, suspending the sail for a moment before reverse gliding and recovering all the backward momentum. Hard to pull off anything else unless you run for it. Can not wait till the kite pulls on me a little for a change!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Mike, I am driving down on Thursday afternoon.  There has be very little if any wind on my side of VA and very hot, so I have done very little flying.  I am also hoping to fly some on Friday.  I have been checking the weather and Atlantic Beach NC is about 5+ degrees cooler than Williamsburg and more wind.

I know about sparrow fart breeze here in Maryland. I have had moments where I struggle to stay aloft. I need better skills so I can enjoy what wind I do get, and so I can feel safer in smaller areas where spectators come along. Lately I have been using the empty fairgrounds parking fields just because of the room to move and no people. However they mow so infrequently I have thought about creating a new trick that involves popping the big flowers off of clovers with my kite lines. I won't be able to leave MD until around 2, so maybe in NC around 8:30?

Believe it or not, we would have died for some sparrow farts on the beach this summer.  Seems like the wind knew when our club flies were occurring and went away just for those few hours.  September should be better or, at least somewhat cooler.  It is a given, though, that the wind will die at tide change and pick up again after.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, photomom said:

Believe it or not, we would have died for some sparrow farts on the beach this summer.  Seems like the wind knew when our club flies were occurring and went away just for those few hours.  September should be better or, at least somewhat cooler.  It is a given, though, that the wind will die at tide change and pick up again after.

Did someone forget to put a quarter in the wind machine?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Did someone forget to put a quarter in the wind machine?

Wayne, where have you been? It's $2.00 nowadays for the wind machine, and it takes paper money. The Feds are thinking about adding $3.00 in excise taxes to that. Back in the day it was a quarter for a whole day, but now you only get an hour. I hear they're gonna put these "wind meters" all around parks and beaches.

• Like 2

Was money for the wind meters included in the class fees or should I bring some single dollars to contribute?

I knew that I had it bad yesterday when the newspaper article about the new fake skydiving wind tunnel at a mall an hour from here made me think "that would make a weird wind window...wonder if they can run that thing at only 10mph."

• Like 1

Wish I could join you all again this year but unfortunately I'll be stuck at work.

Marshall, Mark and Ed from last year I recognize on the list, any others?

Hope you have great weather and all learn a lot and most importantly, have a good time.

• Like 1

Waiting on storm winds in SW Va but just getting rain... We need it BAD so I will have to be happy puddle jumping for fun! I have been working daily prepping for clinic but reality is the kite goes up and floats back down. I am tuning and tweaking but still no wind. Due to humidity it also requires three changes of clothes per day! Eight days till lift off, can't wait, jittery with an-tis- I-pa- tion!

I am with Mike on this....I am headed out today to play but this is the first wind to speak of this week.  Hoping for a good weekend thanks to the storm, but thinking I am going to have to play chicken with the rain at times.  Today we have some 8mph winds...wow!

New lines from Cath coming tomorrow so I will have some 120' to bring to the clinic.  I have been reading the "how to do your own lines" posts and it is making my head swim.  :)  I know it can't be that hard, but I am having trouble staying focused with thoughts of clinic and weekend wind floating through my head.  Guess I should just watch another JB tutorial for something to try out and get outside.

Wiggly, jittery readiness...

Finally got in some figure eights, 360's, braking, hovers and other stuff today. Lots of miles walked resetting for liftoff, even with kick stands. Flopping and folding wings from not flying in wind greater than a puff for a long time. No crashes. Sore but smiling, frustrated and happy. Great day!

59 minutes ago, Mike Klaiber said:

Finally got in some figure eights, 360's, braking, hovers and other stuff today. Lots of miles walked resetting for liftoff, even with kick stands. Flopping and folding wings from not flying in wind greater than a puff for a long time. No crashes. Sore but smiling, frustrated and happy. Great day!

Remember these days well, even smoother sailing ahead. :) 

i have been thinking about going to that clinic, but I have no experience. I just bought my first Rev 1.5 SLE and it arrived Monday. I have been watching the weather there very closely, trying to decide. It's probably a 10 hour drive for me so I'm considering it, but cautiously. Thanks for the up close and personal update..

• Like 2