KiteLife Forum

Shipping Kites

Materdaddy

Today I learned that shipping a kite should be done in a triangular box or tube.  I've recently made a couple kite purchases and they've all come in either triangular boxes or tubes and they've all arrived (boxes included) in tact... up until today.

Today one of my most recent acquisitions came in a rectangular box.  This was the result:

bwekRvH.jpg

gLPeYbP.jpg

LdqDM0w.jpg

Ns9f9ml.jpg

Luckily, even with the damage to the box the contents was not harmed:

AqsyZ9L.jpg

HXTybK2.jpg

New Old Stock TRLBY Single!

• Like 1

Ouch! I had a SUL come in a tube that had this dispairingly large dent in the side of it. The kite was unhurt. I was relieved. When I ship kites I make sure that there is a couple of layers of bubble wrap around the kite itself.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I've gotten triangular boxes that looked like that too. The sail won't get hurt when that happens, obviously, but the number of frame pieces can increase substantially. Using a PVC tube inside the box to slip either the entire kite, or just the frame into will make it bulletproof, but adds quite a bit of weight which increases the shipping cost. Other option is to include a stick or dowel that's relatively strong to the shipment.

Image1464397575.035538.jpgImage1464397652.051279.jpgImage1464397903.681854.jpg

Triangle tubes are a favorite target of the USPS.

These are my last three deliveries, all within a 10-day span.

That must be something to do with your local P.O. I've sent and received many, many kites in triangle boxes, and found USPS to be the fastest, most reliable, and most cost effective shipper. Beyond that, I shipped over 1000 items on ebay that weren't kites, and never had a complaint. Even so, I still insure anything I ship for full value... Just in case.

• Like 2

Theresa at TheKiteShoppe.com uses this plastic downspout, cut to length. Very light and very strong, I think they're sold in 8 foot lengths.

image.jpeg

These downspouts are 10' in length, so you could cut three 40" (1 m) tubes, or two 36" and a 48", or even two 60" tubes. Also, 3"x4"x10' vinyl downspout is available for $11.96 at my local Home Depot.

17 hours ago, GammoRay said:

Image1464397575.035538.jpgImage1464397652.051279.jpgImage1464397903.681854.jpg

Triangle tubes are a favorite target of the USPS.

These are my last three deliveries, all within a 10-day span.

Ya, that's got to be a local thing - never had a problem sending lots of triangle boxes in the past, that's our go to for prize shipments.

• Like 1