KiteLife Forum

Southern Cali Rev Fliers Meetup?

KiteTastic

Hello!!

I've been flying Revs for a few months now about once a week at the beach. Anyone want to meet up or know of any good quad line get togethers in Southern California? I personally live near Newport Beach, CA. Trying to figure out how to meet other fliers in my area if anyone has any suggestions!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum. Click on the map tab at the top. You can try sending a PM to the fliers nearest you. Not everyone on the map is still active, and not all the fliers near you are on the map. Revolution Kites is in Poway CA. There should be some fliers near you. 

Materdaddy and Jason Mockler have been active recently and would be your best bet. Also talk to the folks at Revolution Kites; they know what's going on in your area and can steer you towards the action.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm a complete newbie and I've never even touched a quad line kite of any kind.  I am just starting out with some dual line kites for the time being.  Once I get some more time on them I'll start contemplating a quad.

I also don't go to the OC if I can help it.  Too close to LA, too much traffic for me. :D

Hello Chris and welcome.  There's also the San Diego Kite Club if you're willing to travel a little.  I don't know details, but they seem to get together somewhat regularly and there are Rev fliers.  

Thanks for the replies! I did check the map but the closest flier is over an hour away. I was hoping someone might know of any Rev flyers in Orange County. I've thought about going to San Diego since they fly pretty regular down there it seems, just haven't made it down there yet. I was super bummed that I missed Kite Party in Huntington Beach this year. Looked like there was a lot of Rev Fliers there unfortunately I was out of town. 

Kite Party is a blast! I haven't been yet myself, but plan to make it one of these years. It draws pilots from the entire globe, and Rev pilots by the dozens. Make it next year if you can. You won't regret it.

Based on the number of fliers on the map an hour does seem rather close! With over 3 million people in Orange County I guess I was being a little entitled hopping someone was closer. It is nice being close to the beach where the wind is steady. I tried at a park but the wind was not near as clean and consistent as it is at the beach. I actually took the kite out 2 times but could keep it in the air for more than a few seconds because the wind was so inconsistent. The third time I took it to the beach and had it in the air right away and making turns within a few minutes.

Unfortunately I'm a complete newbie and I've never even touched a quad line kite of any kind.  I am just starting out with some dual line kites for the time being.  Once I get some more time on them I'll start contemplating a quad.

I too learned on a few two lined kites myself. Lots of bad habits to break going to a quad line. It's much easier I hear if you learn on a quad line first. I've really been enjoying the rev so much I haven't taken my other kites out. I have managed to daydream about buying another rev full vent kit because the winds have been so strong lately. I'm sure others on here can testify how addicting Revolution kites can be:) If you ever want to meet up I'd be happy to let you fly mine:)

Any kite can light that fire! Yes there are very distinct differences in how you fly a dual line and any quad. Quads use a lot less pushing and pulling and a lot of twisting of the wrists to fly. But things like learning the wind window and what might be the correct kite for the day's conditions, apply to every kite style!!

• Like 1

I see everybody talking about driving for a couple hours to fly, but I value my time too much to spend it on the road!  I'm spoiled (but at least I know it, right?)!  I live about 15 minutes from work, and 15 from the beach.  It's nearly perfect for my hobbies of surfing and kiting.

Chris, if you ever do make it down this way, let me know.  I'd be happy to meet up to fly.  I'm planning on buying a parking pass for Oceanside parking lots soon and I'll most likely be frequenting the harbor often.  It's one of the better spots around here to fly kites because there's more sand and the relatively limited amount of parking keeps the crowds down compared to the pier.  That makes it easier to find room to fly without people being in your way.  Unlike Huntington where there's a mile of sand before the water, many of the beaches around here don't have much room to fly.  There's only maybe a hundred feet of sand at a lot of the North San Diego County beaches, or none at all because they are cliffs.

We created the "Portland Area Kite Flyers" group on Facebook for everyone within driving range (subjective) from Portland... Often one of us will post there if we're planning on heading out to one of the local fields - it works pretty well when active.

They've done the same thing in Seattle, Ocean Shores and a few other places - success depends on participation, and it starts with two. ;)

• Like 2

Materdaddy I will for sure send you a DM if I am ever down your way flying! I actually just bought a second Rev today! Wayne is right though any kite can light the fire! 

Nice idea John! I'll find someone to fly with eventually. Surely at least one of the three million in Orange County has a rev and wants to fly. Maybe I'll start a meetup group.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined so I could respond to your message. I have been flying 4 line power kites for years and finally made the move to a Rev 1.5. I have flown it twice so far and I'm also dealing with the differences between the two. 

I work in San Clemente but I'm going to make an effort to get to Huntington at least once a week to fly the Rev. Let me know when you are going flying and I'll try to make it there. 

• Like 1