KiteLife Forum

Welcome Koobecaf Uoykcuf

My knots on my addiction have now been changed thanks to the great information and video here. I also found that my pigtails were tied on using a different knot on each side of the bridal. However after reading and watching I was able to get the bridal all straightened out and equal knots on each side. Thank you folks for teaching me something new!!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 4

Welcome reefaddicted I am glad my video helped you get your knots fixed on your addiction. These guys here and this site is so helpful and full of information. I am personally so glad I found this site. I just flew my Addiction yesterday again for the first time since fixing my own and now it does not over steer and flys so smooth. Here are a couple videos just to show the difference. And yes you did see a video of me flying my addiction previously on page 2 of this thread with the sheet bend knot before I found out and switched out to the prusik knot. Now it is easily adjustable and flys so well. 

• Like 3

Well I am tired of the shitty wind conditions here in South Western Pa. so I just ordered a Prism 4d off of ebay and should have it by Saturday. Also any tips on how to light up my dual line kites for night flying? I searched the forum but could not find much. Spoke with Eliot from Flying smiles today and all he had was lights for a rev that attached to Magic Sticks but I am looking for something for my dualies. I saw the post about finger lights as well. I will look for those. Any other ideas or suggestions or threads would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was at one of the local Goodwill stores the other day and my fiance says " Hey babe, look at this" So I go over to her and she has this kite in her hand. I see it is very small. I also see it says "stunt kite. Then I notice it has 2 winders. then it hits me.....SHE FOUND A TINY DUAL LINER ! I immediately open it up and put it together and see that the standoff's make the pockets or whatever they are called pretty deep and also realize that it is proportional to my larger ones. So I look at the price......$2.freakin 99 ! I couldnt wait to try this thing....We went to the field right up from my place that I always have no success in because of the crappy wind even on windy days. THIS THING FLIES GREAT ! Even in very little and crappy wind that is all over the place,,,,it flies exactly like my larger ones ! (The reason I explain it this way is because We bought 2 junky dual liners that the standoffs barely make a pocket in the kite and they don't fly at all.)  I will be flying it more today and get more videos but here are some pics and a video to keep you entertained until then.  (I also posted this in its own thread here 

)

20160926_130639.jpg

Such a great little kite! I learned all my basics on a much lower quality tiny stunt kite and loved it. I felt less like I was going to break anything or hurt anyone with such a tiny kite. After teaching lots of friends with it it is dying fast and I really miss it! Your GF has great goodwill eyes, solid find. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some finger lights for my kite because I read about them on here. I couldn't figure out how to attach them with the elastic bands that go around your finger until I realized, just take off the finger strap and use kite string. I was then trying to secure them pointing downward with some success using more kite string. I took it up to the field and when I got it up in the air, WOW ! ! ! AMAZING ! I also realized that it does not matter which way they point because they light the fixture as well. In fact, the ones on the wing tips are just flopping around in all directions loosely. Just make sure they are secured to the kite. The video does them NO justice at all. In person they are extremely visible. In the video they look like they are blinking which kind of looks like turn signals. I put a green one on the nose and a blue one on the tail. I could have made them all red because the shape of the kite makes it easy to determine nose and tail.....This was just a trial to even see if the kite would fly with the added weight of the light fixtures. I must add that this is a Prism 4D made to fly in even 0 wind. Which in fact it will. I used this kite because of the weight factor..... less weight to get off the ground. The wind was not even very strong....very light in fact....the weight of the lights was probably more than the weight of the kite on its own. But it flew great ! I am sure in moderate wind, these finger lights would work on any kite. I am very impressed and extremely excited that I can fly at night now. Expect more and better videos to come. I also want to add that these lights were only $1 for one of each red, green, and blue light. They also have an on/off switch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2_1_fEqNo

• Like 1

@Koobecaf Uoykcuf -- dude, you gotta post this info somewhere other than in the "hello, my name is..." section of the forum. A lot of people who could use this info don't even look at this part of the forum. But anyway .. . . . . . .. besides holding the longest intro known to man record. . . . . . . . . . .

I love your collection of kite stakes. That is just cool! The kites ain't too shoddy either. But what I'm really here for is to find out where I can get some of the finger lights you flew in the second vid. At that price I'm very interested, and it seems they should be quite easy to attach to the kite.

Edit: Just looked them up on eBay -- 40 for $10 -- should be here by Friday.

5 minutes ago, makatakam said:

@Koobecaf Uoykcuf -- dude, you gotta post this info somewhere other than in the "hello, my name is..." section of the forum. A lot of people who could use this info don't even look at this part of the forum. But anyway .. . . . . . .. besides holding the longest intro known to man record. . . . . . . . . . .

I love your collection of kite stakes. That is just cool! The kites ain't too shoddy either. But what I'm really here for is to find out where I can get some of the finger lights you flew in the second vid. At that price I'm very interested, and it seems they should be quite easy to attach to the kite.

Edit: Just looked them up on eBay -- 40 for $10 -- should be here by Friday.

I did post it in the modifications section. ANd I got them at a local family dollar store. THEY ARE AMAZING !

Got the lights. They will work well. SUL Rev-quad in 6mph+ should get 10 of them aloft easily. I'll play around with how to mount them and let you know the results. They weigh 4.18 grams each, so 10 would add about 42 grams to the total weight, which is just a bit less than 1.5 ounces. That should be no problem for the kite to lift.

• Like 1

How does dog stake flying feel like? Is your right hand controlling the right wing? Any pitfalls? Any recommendations to somebody else trying it?

I've had the following thoughts about dog stake flying: It's for those that are good at all advanced tricks and seeks new challenges (and therefore is nothing for me today - but it seems like you just bought it and just started to use it?). On the other hand it would give an opportunity to watch how tricks really works from a really close distance and from an arbitrary direction. Could it be helpful for e.g. study in detail what really happens in a cart wheel when trying to minimise the input? Would one then need a second dog stake to make things normal again? I could imagine that there is some understanding of tricks that could be gained from seeing them from close distance from various angles.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Exult said:

How does dog stake flying feel like? Is your right hand controlling the right wing? Any pitfalls? Any recommendations to somebody else trying it?

I've had the following thoughts about dog stake flying: It's for those that are good at all advanced tricks and seeks new challenges (and therefore is nothing for me today - but it seems like you just bought it and just started to use it?). On the other hand it would give an opportunity to watch how tricks really works from a really close distance and from an arbitrary direction. Could it be helpful for e.g. study in detail what really happens in a cart wheel when trying to minimise the input? Would one then need a second dog stake to make things normal again? I could imagine that there is some understanding of tricks that could be gained from seeing them from close distance from various angles.

Go stand behind the kite of someone who is doing them, and watch. It's not very hard to get used to and learn. Most people switch hands.

• Like 1

I would like to add about dogstaking, first of all it is dangerous because the kite is right at the same plane as you are some of the time, therefore It can hit you. Also if you are flying with 100 foot line it is like flying with 50 foot of line as far as how the kite responds. my kite responded very quickly but also had a Springy feel so I had to anticipate and turn earlier than normal and it was more responsive with the shorter line. I had moderate wind also and it was gusty but therevwas not much pull perhaps of the fulcrum effect that the dogstake also adds. It was also different to launch i felt. I had to pump to get it off the ground, and then take up the slack and fly away. Kind of like after getting the kite into the air any distance off of the ground, then launching from there. I also just switched hands. I always fly my kites with red pigtails on my right hand. Dogstaking I hook the kite up as uaual with red on right, and my hands just different with red on my left instead of my right. Exactly just switch hands with the straps and lines you usially fly with and the kite will fly as close to your exact plane in space as you controll it to and the kite will fly to the right side of the wind window and pulling your left hand will turn the kite to the left just like flying with straight lines. It definately adds a new aspect to flying that is worth the $2.59 that i paid for the dogstake and so much more. I can't do tricks yet but ya, wow ! That would be awesome seeing them up close. But like I said in the beginning.  IT CAN BE DANGEROUS if the kite would hit you or someone standing nearby. Expecially if they are standing beside you. But if you havent done it before, you are missing out if you dont do it. And that is just based on my first experience.  I cant wait to do it again.

• Like 3

JB, I saw yours already that is amazing to say the least. Think about the fanciest I'm going to get is try some eyes from fishing poles to lessen the friction. And maybe link up each line to its own eye. Mine will only be for dual line for now. Any tips for hooking up two sets of lines separately?  Here is a video of my dogs taking a larger kite hand launching and catching it  dogstaking

Edited by Koobecaf Uoykcuf
fixed video link
  • Like 1

I used diamond polished ceramic fishing rings back in the day. :)

Two primary things to consider...

1 - giving each line its own ring (or pulley, etc) will eliminate line-on-line friction.

2 - also consider the size of the "bend" in the lines...

• A thin ring would make the line bend more like this... V
    (more torque / resistance on the line, less surface friction)
  • A thick ring would make the line bend more like this... U
    (less torque / resistance, more surface friction)

Somewhere in the middle should be the best balance, without using actual pulleys.

Video didn't come up for me, btw?

• Like 1