KiteLife Forum

Recommendations on first kite bag-

Mike Klaiber

I bought a duffle bag. It is probably too big, but I like that I can carry everything in it, which isn't a lot yet but growing. Currently 2 Revs, extra frame (stored in a golf club tube), 2 dual line deltas, the wife's parafoils, and of course all line and handles. Have plenty of room for any needed extras; sunscreen, a towel, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

This is probably in the wrong section but I would say call Andy at Ocean Shores Kites. He has a TON of very affordable bags to choose from. Quad roll up bags, Dual roll up bags and the like. Ask for Andy or Brenda and tell them Stephen sent you. 360-289-4103

• Like 3

A Rev bag. Plenty said about it already but it's tough and got lots of space. I have a suite of revs and a couple of SLK's. Larger ones, 6 foot rok and a 15 foot delta with line on a card winder as halos are very compact. It holds my banner and pole too. It is a little pricy but worth it.

• Like 1

It probably all depends on how far you need to travel from the vehicle to your flying area, and how many kites you are flying at the same time. If you're not going very far to your launch point from your vehicle, you can only fly one stunt kite at a time, if the wind changes you can walk back to the vehicle for a different stunt kite.

No need to lug around a bunch of stuff you don't need, especially if you have a vehicle that you can call a bag that holds anything you need but might need, you can always walk back to get something different as needed. And who knows, eventually you may need to use a bathroom and have to "yes" walk there too, unless you bring a pee bottle with you in the big bag!

Just call your vehicle your kite bag.

• Like 1

That's one heck of a walk, especially when you're done and you have to get back to the car. I've seen carts with fat tires for sand, those plastic toboggans / terrain sleds would work for both sand and land, and of course frozen lakes if you're into ice fishing.

Oh yeah, the Breeze bags look great! It's also great to see she does custom work. I don't know if that's in reference to the one model, or if she'll do total custom work. I get the tone from her web site she'll do totally custom bag work. I'd like to eventually get a bag for the stacked B2's.

Above, @3wrapframe mentioned Ocean Shores Kites. They have a couple different bags listed on their web site, near the lower right side of the web page: http://oceanshoreskites.com/framed_quadline.htm

• Like 1

Did you want a roll up type or a duffle bag type?

A roll up type gives great access once rolled out. Also gives a flat area to work on, sort of. Take up more room because of the extra fabric.

A duffle type is more compact and leaves a smaller footprint. May be a little tedious to access kites inside if the zip doesn't open fully.

• Like 1

To buy yourself some time to find the perfect kite bag - use a ski case in the mean time (if available). Before I got my simple quite cheap black/magenta HQ 180cm (~71inch) bag I used this solution after getting the third good kite that I didn't want to miss when being on the field. At the time of purchase this ski bag wasn't very expensive either, about the same price as the kite bag I believe. The ski bag is longer (215cm) than what you need for normal full size dual line kites, so I had one end folded over by using one of the two ski holding straps that already was on the bag. The folded part was a natural place to have a plastic bag with kite accessories.

The 180cm HQ bag works well for all my kites and got one handy pocket for lines and other stuff. The length of the HQ bag is so that it works for all my kites (not simultaneously though). The Tramontana (my second longest kite sleeve) is close to the limit with a few cm margin (like an inch or so), while the Fazer XL (my largest) just fits with no margin at all. The zipper doesn't go all the way, but inserting the kites does feel quite OK. The manufacturer claims that it can hold 10-15 kites. Well that wouldn't be any kite-mix I would be interested in. When keeping the kites in their sleeves I fit five kites into this bag - yes a bit smaller then the ski bag. Perhaps a bit limiting, but when did you use more than five last time? - And I'd hate to wrinkle the sail of my darlings!

The handle arrangement of the HQ bag is minimalistic, one side's fixed length strap is short while the other longer is of adjustable length. The longer one can naturally be put over one's shoulder when carrying the bag in a close to vertical position. When you carry the bag horisontally in your hand you don't notice that one strap of the handle is longer. However, seven months after I started to use the bag, looking carefully at the fabric where it meets the top side of the long handle, there are two small (like a few mm^2) small emerging holes. If you primarily carry the bag over your shoulder, pulling the top side with your hand to keep it vertical, consider to put a reinforcement patch on the inside of the bag around the point where the handle meets the fabric to make a more High Quality design (sorry, just couldn't resist that).

Obviously if you have really large kites the ski bag would be the only option, but also if you wished to add a few more kites. The ski bag is not so bad in my opinion, just a bit bulkier, but in the end it is the HQ bag I tend to use. 

• Like 1

I did exactly what Exult suggested for my first kite bag. That was back in the day I flew both dual line and quad. I got the bag for something like $25 at the end of ski season clearance. I still have the bag if you want it, just pay shipping. It'll hold five or six quads. 

I have a duffle bag with my foils but it usually stays at home and now I keep all my quads in a snowboard bag. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did make my first one which is a rollup but recently received a Prism Bag which is also nice. It gave me a few ideas I have to incorporate into my home made bag. now..I do like my fold up wagon though..

I'm currently considering a Hard Golf Club Travel Case to modify and protect my kites.. Has the extra benefit of being sand and water "resistant" since it will be standing up instead of laying down. Think Umbrella stand type scenario with a lid.

• Like 1