KiteLife Forum

A Newbie

Ritlee

I'm looking at getting a power kite to not only learn with, but to be able to use as a traction kite. I'm hoping for something close to $200, but should be able to talk the wife in to something up to $300. If the price range is at all possible.

I currently have a ~6 foot 2 line delta (Chinese made) stunt kite that I can't really do tricks with but can put it anywhere within the window I want with ease, as well as do spins and loops. And I've gotten a little bored with it.

What I want to get in to is Kite Boarding, and maybe eventually a buggy or eventually kite surfing (considering I live about an hour from Sherman Island). I currently weigh 175 lbs.

I've been looking at 3+ line kites, the "brake" feature sounds like even though it adds complexity to flight, it adds greater control and possibly safety?

I've been searching around and the kites that are in my range don't have a lot of literature that I can find. I'm think all the "flexifoil" 'branded' kites on Amazon are Chinese, and hear they may not be up to par, though if they're good enough might try one. There's also the HQ series, looks good, but not a lot on this forum/site about them. I've also looked at various kite selling websites but most have the same ramble about the kite.

At any rate, I was hoping to get some input on kites that might fit what I'm looking for, it's all of you that know more than me.

You can't go wrong with one of the Prism Tensors. They can be switched between bar or handle control, and comes with everything you would need except maybe a stake. They come in 3 sizes, the 3.1 and the 4.2 would be good for training and higher wind kite boarding. The 5m Tensor would probably drag you on a board in less wind, but you'd still need ~10mph breeze. That really has a lot to do with what kind of surface you'll be boarding on... the harder the ground, the easier it is for the kite to pull you.

A good thing about learning to fly on four lines... you'll know how to fly a Rev when you get bored of getting your arms lengthened with the foils !

Good luck & have fun...

• Like 3

Ok firstly I live in the uk and I kite buggy and surf you mention the HQ range and I would recommend them I started on a Beamer 2 meter and now have a full quiver of beamers from 2 meter to five meter I found this for you in the us ( I take it that's where you are ? ) there easy to fly and your have lots of fun

http://www.awindofchange.com/product/beamer5.html

First stage is start small and not to over power your self and to get used to the controls of the kite and how it acts in the wind window if your not shore on the wind window look it up and learn it , now it may seam a little bit of a long trip to take but before you even think of getting on a board or in a buggy you need to learn to fly the kite and know where it is without looking lots of finger of 8's keeping the kite high to avoid unwanted power and the embarrassment of doing a superman ! , when learning never go on your own !! There is plenty of videos on you tube to help but that's nothing compared to finding someone local to you that can help and lead you

HQ do do a video on YouTube about flying the Beamer I think they show you flying a 2 meter but there all the same here is a link it's an old video but still the same setup

Others on here may have a better idea of kite ideas for you as the kites available in the us will be a lot different to here in the uk

Hope this helps and happy flying

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

I fly a 4m Peter Lynn hornet, it's been an amazing kite! It's a quad so if you haven't flown a 4 line it will get some getting used to but is so much more maneuverable than a 3 line. Look into it has all the power you want to do what your talking about down the road. As was stated above being comfortable with just flying will be your first agenda IMO. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

first question is ... what is your average wind speed of where you flying your kite ?

I understand that you looking into kite boarding on the water, instead of inland, correct ?

Well, this is my inland power kiting experience and what I know ... I weight just a tad more than you, 46.5 years old here and profound deaf (hard of hearing) ... Just started flying quad lines in March 2015

I believe that 4 lines 2 handles is much safer than doing 4 lines into 3 lines control/turbo bar, because if you panic and not knowing how to control it ... then you will more likely to pull the bar down harder to hold on tightly which will pull you harder or get lifted ... but it may never happens on 2m, but 5m for first timer ? You can decide and put safety first.

My Uncle's close friend bought 7.2m with control/turbo bar for the first time ... just starting off ... kite is going crazy and he tried to hold on by pulling the bar and hurt his back badly. 

oZone 3m, 4 lines, 2 handles is what I started off and turned out too easy after in couple months and I can control that kite up to 24 mph wind which I did tested it myself to see if I can control my kite ... it was very rough, really rough (laughing)

I fly several quad lines kite inland and ride a couple of homemade buggy (wooden style & bike style)

For the last 6 month or so ... I got Rhombus 7.2m, 4 lines, 2 handles and it's amazing at 6 mph light wind while standing/pulling, but at 12 mph is very easy to jump and riding a buggy at 12 - 17 mph is like flying 3m power kite because the buggy is in motion.

Flying 7.2m on 114 feet lines will have much more pulling (kinda like g-force) than on 75 feet lines ...

I helped my other Uncle to get his first power kite, Flexifoil 3.5m (quad lines, 2 handles) is very awesome at 10 mph, but it will pull board/buggy better at 12 mph or more.

what RobBkevmort & Mikelp3586 said is very good to start off with ... I believe you can start of at 3m, maybe not 5m in a high wind like 12 mph for that size, it's very strong if you are not riding on board or buggy ... but you can always ask someone who has one and see if you can handling it good before you buy the kite the one you looking for.

the best lesson is learn how to control the power kite which is your BRAKES ... learn how to use BRAKES a lot like a good habit and don't let the kite control you ... then you will know what to do next when the kite have gone crazy 

at last, safety first ... then may the fun begins ... wish you the best.

Just one thing I forgot like deafthunder said start with two handles and use KITEKILLERS !! They strap round your wrists and attach to the brake lines if you get in trouble or get over powered just let go of the handles and the brake lines get put on 100% and the power lines get slack you won't loose your kite and should get it down safely

The first power kite I had a go on ( or should I say had a go on me ) was a peterlynn blade 7.5 in 18 mph winds with my friend and owner of it , with me being 5 foot 8 and 133 lbs I learned how to scudd ( getting pulled around sliding on your feet ) very fast !!! And got boosted ( lifted off your feet ) once or twice and fell in love instantly lol

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone who's replied so far.

I included my weight but not the winds around here, and while we're on the subject. Here is currently the middle east, deployed until early next year. Here the winds are regularly 25 knots during the day, and die to calm winds after sunset. I like to fly around sunset because it's way too hot to do it any earlier. But the kicker is when I get back home, which is Sacramento, a breezy day is 15mph winds, more average 5-10 mph winds.

DeafThunder: I do intend to landboard first, water may be later.

4 lines 2 handles does sound better than 3, you can release one handle and lose all power from the kite from what I understand.

As far as barrowing/testing out some one's kite, it's not really possible as long as I'm deployed, beings that I am the only one here that is flying any type of kite.

That being said I believe I have the discipline and the respect to learn solo and not exceed my limitations with an appropriate kite. By the time the kite gets to me I'll be 36 years old, with 18 years given to the Army. As well as I have taken the time to learn to fly RC Helicopters and Airplanes. If anyone has done either, they can tell you time spent not flying is more important than time flying.

Although it's above my suggested price range I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Mikelp's suggestion, the 4m Peter Lynn. Now that I know of that kite, I'm finding a bit of literature and it sounds like a good fit for me.

• Like 2

wait wait, what's the difference between the Red/Grey 4m Peter Lynn and the Lime Green? I'm assuming model years and due to availability the lime green one is the newest... but performance wise is there a noticeable difference?

Sadly I attempted to get the red /grey kite from big Mike's... I put in my APO address and get the error saying that they didn't ship to the United States!?

Is the design change that much of a difference to go for lime green instead? I am a bit partial to the red/grey, and not because it's cheaper

I have emailed him about the issue... Hopefully it can be resolved

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

4 hours ago, Ritlee said:

wait wait, what's the difference between the Red/Grey 4m Peter Lynn and the Lime Green? I'm assuming model years and due to availability the lime green one is the newest... but performance wise is there a noticeable difference?

funny thing is that i noticed ... look at the spelling of each color ... how many letters does each color have ... that is the size of the kite (not always) but close enough

the green one is probably 5m ... 5 letters

blue & green is probably 4.5m ... will you let me know if that is correct ?

if the kite is thin (narrow) ... it's more for racing kite and speed kite (quick steering)

if the kite is fat ... it's traction kite (slower steering)

what about CobraKites.com ?

funny thing is that i noticed ... look at the spelling of each color ... how many letters does each color have ... that is the size of the kite (not always) but close enough

the green one is probably 5m ... 5 letters

blue & green is probably 4.5m ... will you let me know if that is correct ?

if the kite is thin (narrow) ... it's more for racing kite and speed kite (quick steering)

if the kite is fat ... it's traction kite (slower steering)

what about CobraKites.com ?

This kite is a traction kite

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

Got a hold of, I'm assuming, Mike at Big Mike's, and the kite is on the way... I still liked the red patterned old version over the lime new one so got it. I'm sure it will be good enough for me ;)

Should see the kite in about a week

You'll love it. Make sure you start off in lighter winds trust me! And use the kite killers, it will be frustrating at first but after you get a basic grasp how it handles you'll never want to stop! Msg me if you need any help! I'll be flying right next to Lejeune this wknd

• Like 1

I definitely intend on using the kite killers... and maybe a buddy holding my belt ;), but really I'll probably wait until after sunset when the winds die below 10 mph and start there.

• Like 1

8-10 is a good wind not to strong but enough to have fun. I couldn't wait and went in lighter and couldn't keep it up I was pissed but just gotta wait for a good steady wind! Watch out for gusts cuz they will put you on your ass! Welcome to the club enjoy

• Like 1

4m or smaller power kite in 14 mph is not strong enough to pick up 185 lbs human being, but it may dragging you like a ragging doll 

Published on Nov 15, 2015

Just jumping around until "DIVE" jump (I wasn't pay attention) ... whoops ... (laughing)

Wind Speed : 14 mph (W)
Gust Speed : 21 mph (W)
Max Wind Speed 18 mph (NNW) 

• Like 2

I remember my 5 meter Beamer took me on a 30 slide on my Arse one day in around 25 Mph wind should of known something exciting was going to happen as it was trying to lift me while Parked at the zenith with me only being 133 lbs lmao 577d5993ca71c_ImageUploadedByKiteLife1461467832720.482105.jpg]577d59a749d58_ImageUploadedByKiteLife1461467832738.314122.jpg]

I was wondering what the m meant in the sizes? I know my ultralight chute is around 46.5m if the m means square meters. Looking at the car in the picture with the chute, I cant tell the size of the car or the chute other than 5m means something. The 12 floor tiles are covered by the chute. So what does the m actually mean?

1 hour ago, hyzakite said:

I was wondering what the m meant in the sizes? I know my ultralight chute is around 46.5m if the m means square meters. Looking at the car in the picture with the chute, I cant tell the size of the car or the chute other than 5m means something. The 12 floor tiles are covered by the chute. So what does the m actually mean?

The "m" I've found actually stands for Meters Squared, most sites have dropped the little superscript 2, but they're sized on how many square meters the foil is, when laid flat on the ground.

Though be careful too... I can't remember the brand but there's at least 1 brand out there that likes to report the wingspan instead of the area of the kite.

• Like 1