KiteLife Forum

Revolution Kites Club 38

John Barresi

The underlined is a direct copy of my posts on the Rev forum:

I have logged into and viewed Level 1, which consists of basic setup, launch, turn and land. I have been flying for seven years, so for me nothing interesting will happen until the upper levels, and I won't receive the login password until after I send video of completing level one. For a total novice the completion of the first four or five levels, I imagine, would be a good way to learn all the basic manouvres.

I don't know if there is any way to "proficiency out" of the first two or three levels if one is already beyond the intermediate stages. It will be pretty boring until the upper levels I assume.

I watched the Level 2 videos. No, I did not complete Level 1 yet. It's pretty easy to figure out the password for Level 2 if you watch Level 1. I haven't figured out the subsequent passwords yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

The thing I have noticed is that the written description in both levels of the skills does not match the video it describes, which leads to some confusion about the exact sequence of moves that one should submit in the video required to earn the pin for that skill level. For instance, the written description says "spin 360 left, spin 360 right", which in the video is shown as a 360 to the right and a 540 to the left. There are multiple inconsistencies in the written and visual in both skill levels. This may be intentional, as we all know how difficult it is at the beginning to be consistent with the execution of any move, and the intent may be to merely verify the ability to accomplish it without losing control. Most probably, subsequent levels will require a higher degree of precision.

We'll see.

It would also be nice if Rev could keep (and show) a list of members and the level each has achieved. A bit of extra bookkeeping, but not arduous.

There are eight levels with different numbers of skills per level, for a total of 38, hence the name. I don't know if any are actually tricks, like the catch and throw or axel. I'm hoping rev will eventually post an outline of the skills in each level. They had a special price of $38.00 + $7.50 shipping at the end of June which may still be in effect. With membership you get a CLUB38 t-shirt, and a pin for the level completed and a card for the next level(?) after submitting a video that shows you have accomplished the required skills at each level, merchandise discounts, and of couse, bragging rights (look at me, I'm a pro and I can prove it).

It should be fun and it's better than spending the money on beer, so I joined.

• Like 2

Ok I lost interest in the club 38 within 60 seconds !!!!! Why should I trust a guy that has to use a script !!!!!!!! That's a no trust earner in my eyes

I'm shore the guy can fly well and knows what he is doing but it sadly will not come across that way , this is just my view and not an attack on the guy sorry I don't know his name

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Ps John your tutorials are always professional and natural the confidence in your flying comes out in your voice and body movement you may have to think about what you are saying but it never comes over or shown in your tutorials , your a pro flyer that wants to share his knowable know how with a passion , the only thing I would like to see in your tutorials is the setup your using eg kite , line length, rods and wind conditions but that is it !!

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

After watching levels 1 and 2, its hard not to notice that they appear to have made up all their own terminology for things and completely ignored (or never taken the time to learn) what everyone else in the world already calls things. :P 

• Like 4

Don't forget the inconsistencies in terminology - same term seems to mean multiple things to them. I'm not even going to get into the editing

A clear indication that the company has no clue what their users are doing with their own product (and seemingly no interest in learning either).

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but I'm not overly optimistic

• Like 1

My Club 38 T-shirt came in the mail today, only it's not a T-shirt, it's a Polo. Terminology strikes again!

The Level 1 laminated card came with it. The card has a QR code on it which can be scanned "to open the video playlist for level 1". The QR code scanner was not included. I don't have a way to scan the code -- I do have the password which works fine on the Club 38 menu on Rev's home page -- and wonder how this will work for subsequent levels, since the password is not on the card.

• Like 1

One of my questions that was never answered is what is one to do if they don't have the capability to make a video tape?  And what and where are the Club Hubs?  Have you seen any information about this now that you've joined?

3 minutes ago, photomom said:

One of my questions that was never answered is what is one to do if they don't have the capability to make a video tape?  And what and where are the Club Hubs?  Have you seen any information about this now that you've joined?

I suppose you'll need to bring out the good old 8mm or 16mm movie camera (good luck finding film for it) or have a friend with a smartphone do the filming. I plan to use my iPhone.

I saw no mention anywhere, including the card I received, about what or where the hubs are. I'm guessing the most logical possibility is participating retailers with brick-and-mortar locations.

Stay tuned. I'll be posting progress reports, but don't expect it to happen quickly. I tend to procrastinate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, makatakam said:

My Club 38 T-shirt came in the mail today, only it's not a T-shirt, it's a Polo. Terminology strikes again!

The Level 1 laminated card came with it. The card has a QR code on it which can be scanned "to open the video playlist for level 1". The QR code scanner was not included. I don't have a way to scan the code -- I do have the password which works fine on the Club 38 menu on Rev's home page -- and wonder how this will work for subsequent levels, since the password is not on the card.

Incompleteness.... what a surprise :(

Like everything that seems to be happening these days (at least that I can see) it seems it wasn't tested outside of the people who had the idea in the first place. Always, always conduct a proper testing process with a fresh set of eyes (and take the feedback seriously)

5 hours ago, photomom said:

I have better questions for you ...

Do you think you're missing out on something?

Do you feel like they are going to provide something you won't get on the field with a capable pilot (or a KiteLife subscription)?

What are the chances that there are going to be hubs or any major uptake with the current approach?

Currently, I think JB could make a list of techniques and 'certified instructors' capable of assessing you quicker and with more reach than this.

Given what I've seen of this Club 38 so far, I actually find myself hoping it fails dismally because I think it does more harm than good. It really seems like they are training people wrong as a (bad) joke.

Just my opinion based on whatever level of flight skill that I have

Club 38?

instead of joining it attend one good festival and get all the quad-lined exposure to everything you could ever want, latest equipment, mods, techniques, folks to provide hands-on instruction, seeing some of the best strut their stuff to music

AND you'll make some friends besides, which is truly priceless!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, makatakam said:

You said in a later post that you plan to use your iPhone to film your progress... your iPhone is your QR code scanner. 

Sorry to hear about the polo shirt vs. the T shirt. I would almost join this goofy club 38 thing for a new kite T shirt, but a kite polo shirt would be useless to me. 

46 minutes ago, RobB said:

You said in a later post that you plan to use your iPhone to film your progress... your iPhone is your QR code scanner. 

Bit of a PITA if you don't have or know how to use a smartphone and load apps ... or would prefer to use a laptop/desktop instead.

I have long decided that I don't need to join Club 38.  First because there was such a lack of information and second because I really don't need it for education or validation.  I have all of you here and the flyers at home and at the festivals we attend.

Curiosity got the cat and the cat is getting away with all her lives.

BTW, I prefer polo shirts to T-shirts but it's still not worth it.

• Like 1

I switched from a flip phone to an iPhone about two years ago. I'm an old fart and still finding new things it can do; almost every week I find something else I didn't know. I didn't see anything that appears to be a QR scanner yet. Is that a separate app I need to download?

I was wondering why a polo shirt would be useless? Unless you're allergic to buttons and collars.

Some people can't get to a kite festival especially if the person lives in Tristan da Cunha, no less getting back home after the festival. So this club 38 thing could be beneficial to some people.

After all, how many times has it been mentioned in the past forums, "The Verticals go on the back of the Rev"

4 minutes ago, makatakam said:

I didn't see anything that appears to be a QR scanner yet. Is that a separate app I need to download?

Yes, and you'll probably find many choices when you search the app store for a barcode / QR scanner