Hey guys! Me again! I'm here on behalf of a Mechanical Engineering Project that requires a mechanism to be built that will launch a kite in low winds so that it will be shot up to 50m where the better winds are. I'm back with another few questions to ask all of you. Any help is appreciated!
1. How do you normally launch your kites? Besides tugging and running backwards?
2. Were there any methods that didn't work? Why?
3. At what speed do you consider low winds? How fast must the wind be to lift a kite?
4. What's the weight of your kite along with the photography rigging?
5. What types of kite do you use? What are their specs? What winds do they fly in? How heavy can the lift?
6. What type of cameras do you use?
7. What has been the smallest and largest kites/payloads you have used?
8. Do you KAP on land or at sea? Which do you prefer?
9. How much would a full set be? Kite and rigging included?
10. Have you ever used methods that involved an energy source? Batteries etc.
11. Do you fly on your own or with a group?
So I was at one of the local Goodwill stores the other day and my fiance says " Hey babe, look at this" So I go over to her and she has this kite in her hand. I see it is very small. I also see it says "stunt kite. Then I notice it has 2 winders. then it hits me.....SHE FOUND A TINY DUAL LINER ! I immediately open it up and put it together and see that the standoff's make the pockets or whatever they are called pretty deep and also realize that it is proportional to my larger ones. So I look at the price......$2.freakin 99 ! I couldnt wait to try this thing....We went to the field right up from my place that I always have no success in because of the crappy wind even on windy days. THIS THING FLIES GREAT ! Even in very little and crappy wind that is all over the place,,,,it flies exactly like my larger ones ! (The reason I explain it this way is because We bought 2 junky dual liners that the standoffs barely make a pocket in the kite and they don't fly at all.) I will be flying it more today and get more videos but here are some pics and a video to keep you entertained until then.
Hi! I've been learning the basics of dulies on a $20 Amazon kite (here, silly video and I'm not doing any tricks but at least you can see the kite!). It was a great purchase and I'm now totally hooked on flying.
I can usually side and snap stall and axel it and I am pretty sure I'm at the point where I'm not going to immediately trash a proper stunt kite, and would love to upgrade. I'm on a pretty darn right budget at the moment though.
I think I can squeeze some more experience out of this kite (I can get it on its back so maybe a lazy Susan or something). However, if anyone has a step up for (ideally) less than $100 CAD (I am in Victoria , BC) I'd love the chance to try a previously loved kite
I've don't tonnes of research on kites but haven't flown any OPKs so it is hard to compare proper stunt kites to this little one. As long as the kite isn't too huge I'm sure I'll love it to death!
Thanks for reading!