KiteLife Forum

Newbie with a Rev EXP

iGoThud

After years of 2 line kites ... and the need to add a new kite to the bag ...  I couldn't get over the quad I saw at the kite store. I am very happy with my new EXP.  2nd time out, I took my 18 year old son out and gave him a shot at it.  I do believe I will be purchasing another quad in the near future...

Now for the questions after my first few flights:   Conditions:  believe the wind was 10-15mph so a little high

When applying a breaking action or reversing the kite, sometimes one of the wings would flip in and spin the kit...  Most of the time, releasing the break or applying forward drive would "set" the kite in a normal orientation.  Is the flipped in wing because I am applying to much breaking? or too high of a wind speed?

Will getting a set of extended leaders help an EXP?

and any other "have to do's"?

Thanks in advance!

Thad

Yep - flipping a wing is pretty much a direct action of over controlling! Learning how little, rather than how much will gain you in the end. As someone else would say - "You're not trying to strangle a snake, you're holding a baby bird!" Gentle, smooth, easy get you more!!

Yes - leaders will help any Rev fly better - IMHO !! John sells an awesome set over here in KL - I have 3 sets myself. You may need to add a step back into your launch sequence, but the control in flight is well worth it!

New or not - check the lines for equal!!!

• Like 1

Sounds like high wind and over braking, for now if one side is flipping over more than the other side you can compensate by making the side that flips over longer by moving your foot forward on the opposite of the flipping side, cocking you body a little sideways making that lineset a bit longer from you to the kite, sounds like you're fine with second time out. Just hope for slower winds tomorrow. You'll learn to flip/ bowtie the kite as needed later. I like the snake vs. baby bird idea of handling.

• Like 1

longer lines provide more time for you to react and a larger window in which to draw your flight patterns.  Longer lines also provide more slack and all the most desirable skills develop the fastest in demanding conditions, so learn to use that slack effectively.

Longer lines provide more drag, further slowing the kite down, so for example if you wanted to draw precision figures a set of 50# 120s would help you unless it's blowing too hard and they might break.  Breaking lines is related to you giving ground during a sudden gust also, as opposed to just standing there lead-footed and man-handling the kite.

for newer pilots 85 to 90 feet is a good balance between short (faster response, less slack to overcome in low wind) and long (larger window, smoother low wind conditions if you can get up to use it)

Team flying is best done on 120s/90 or 100#, if there's sufficient wind, or 50#/100 feet for a calm set of conditions ( a little shorter and thinner to help beat the swirls and no wind conditions back to submission!

• Like 2

Yeah... My 65' have about 2 hours on them...  If I had a set of 120', I doubt having frayed lines would be my biggest problem.  My awesome ability to keep the nose of my kite firmly planted on the ground would be my greatest concern... My sons running commentary on my flying...."Ouch...Ouch.......Ouch.Ouch...Ouch!.." LOL!

• Like 1

My issue keeping me ground... ME!  It is definitely not the kite.  So I have the basic hover,  up/down and left/right.  I can reverse fly the kite and land. And I can launch from both orientations.  AND... I can manage my lines!   I just haven't mastered the nose down orientation.  I either panic and drive the kite into the ground or  I actually get it stopped and then drive it into the ground.  What's happening is this... When the kite stops and then starts to rise, I over control the kite to stop the motion up and end up driving it into the ground.  Just lacking practice... I also noticed that when I rotate the kite to a nose down orientation, I actually rotate my hands with the kite.  Yeah!  Anyway, its really hard to apply the brakes when your hands are rotated.  So to combat that, I try to keep my elbows in my side or gut.  Its odd....never did that with my 2 line kites.

Note the orientation of my hands in the photo...  bad form!

IMG_2713.JPG

Edited by iGoThud
Added photo
  • Like 1

Here's an exercise to try -  put the kite LE down and your hands in a normal position. Try pushing your thumbs gently towards the kite, if it doesn't come off the ground - step back too, but just a step. Try to hold it steady. That means slow easy movements, nothing radical. If you feel like it's lost, step forward and take all the power out. Try again!

• Like 2

Feels different? DUH!! It is different! But remember this: the only thing the kite understands is that the long LE means forward - period! Up, down, sideways - the LE is forward in all your commands. Doesn't matter if you stand on your head - that big LE is forward! Learn to keep your hands quieter as you give commands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Spills the air and then re-inflate a moment later, that requires larger hand and body movements (he is flailing!)

Yup, the way you dump all the pressure from the sail is to step forward and move your hands suddenly forward at the same time. This is how you set up for certain moves and/or tricks to make them crisp and dramatic. Without dumping the pressure the move is only a continuation of previous motion. The stall gives it its own life.

Also known as "whump".

• Like 1