KiteLife Forum

Rest in peace, old friend... Geezer

One of our dearest friends on earth passed away last night... One of the last true "wordsmiths", Dave Shattuck (aka Geezer) is forever a part of my own soul's "panel of wisdom", a character that I will continue to draw insight and perspective from until my own end of days.

1238142_10201830510955142_311095793_n.jpg aka06-4-cimburek013.jpg 67048_448687032901_1796965_n.jpg

We connected through KiteLife Magazine in early 2003 when I was running it out of a little studio apartment in Portland and he was sharing a house with several folks in the Seattle area... Long, long chats through the night found us sharing many passions and eventually led to his moving to Portland to share a house (and later an apartment) with me - I couldn't even begin to count the hours we put in together, working on the magazine, traveling and solving the world's problems over coffee and smokes out on the porch.

One of the most prolific authors in our pages, he loved kites, he loved all the different ways people express themselves with kites, treasured its history and was still working on kite history projects in his final months.

Some of his writing for the magazine...
https://kitelife.com/author/dave-shattuck/

When he asked "how are you", he meant it.

When he said "take care of yourself", he meant it.

Given even a small opportunity, he had the depth of soul to go out of his way to vocally recognize and celebrate someone's unique qualities and do what he could to be sure they saw it for themselves... And he always meant it, one of the biggest things I'll continue to draw inspiration from in my own life.

So glad we got to connect before you left on this new journey - fly well brother, we choose to celebrate your time on this little rock and have no doubt you'll be equally celebrated in your next adventure(s).

I love you brother, see you on the other side of the field.  :bye1:

Too many thoughts and not enough words ....

One thing that I am thankful for is that I have in my possession kite that he insisted I take back home with me on my last trip out there. Even here, words fail me...

• Like 1