KiteLife Forum

Wrapped Frames

Tim Grosse

2, 3, 4 wraps are marked for strength too. Bigger number is stronger, less flexible. Most use the smallest number for light winds, bigger for heavy. 

I might clarify too - all the "wrap" rods do have similar flex characteristics, but get stronger, stiffer as you go up in number.

Black race is about the weight of a 2 wrap, but strong as 3 wrap. But it has a different flex to it. Some like it, some don't, it really is up to your style of flying. It can replace a 2 wrap in your quiver.

Green race is the weight of 3 wrap, but strength of 4 wrap. It also has a different flex and unlike the black, a bit mushy on return. But they are sooo strong!!  I use them in my X/V pretty much full time! These could replace a 4 wrap for you.

Just be aware that either race frame is a specialty item and costs more than any wrap frame.

• Like 1

Another option?

Diamond frames are underneath the Black Race frame in weight and snap back like a crossbow instead of a long bow.  They are also delicate in the hands of a newish quad-lined flier.  Diamonds are about responsiveness in light or variable wind.  They are expensive, but in my opinion you'd only need two frame sets (a set of diamonds and set of green race).

if you want to experiment then try the "travel frame" option and mix the two!  I like four diamonds in the leading edge and two green race travel frame members.  You'd think the green race in the center, but nope, they're placed at the junction of the down spars.

3D movements, slack lining and tricks are almost always better with some "mass" on the ends of the lines.  Life is a compromise, help one aspect and another suffers.  You choose for yourself which frame suits your purposes based upon experience or guidance from others.  Try lots of things out and see what you latch onto for yourself, it's not a path but a destination you seek!

• Like 1

They used to snap back like a crossbow, but many of the "GT" (green stripe on either side of label) rods made in the last 6 months or so are quite a bit more flexible and prone to breakage.

Still nothing better for Revs (due to the unique diameter and mfg style they use), I'm just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I like to call them - GL rods - green label. So far I only have 1 set of them - diamonds - and only use them in my SUL on windless days. My whole team uses them in theirs, but only for that purpose - low winds. I even reinforce them with "magic sticks" to lessen their flex. But they are an option .......

Personally, I like a race frame in my std and mid, 3 wrap in my F/V, and green race in my X/V. Frankenframe in the Zen! But these setups are what I like - YMMV!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hyzakite said:

The kite on the left looks full vent to me.

really? 

18 hours ago, John Barresi said:

All MID kites, all three wrap frames... Guess which one has the green trim (labels)? :)

IMG_1469818257.834491.jpg

i am new on Rev but at least i know to read,sorry for sarcasm 

18 hours ago, Tim Grosse said:

The one on the left. 

14 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Winner!

Read - yes, but the kite to the left Does look like a F/V - AND THAT MAKES IT WORSE!! It would be one thing to have uneven bend in the SAME sail, but WORSE if indeed the sail was a F/V next to several mids!

John's at a clinic - maybe he can clear this up later tonight!

I know my eyes are the same as even last year, but I saw that kite in the LB Clinic topic and I see it was a mid-vent but in the picture where the kites are staked down, there it looks like one vertical panel was white and the other black, In this topic the vertical panels look blue or with my eyes looked like I was seeing through the mesh at the sky.

But all and all I'm sure the more forward you put into the leaders on the handles the more bend you would get across the leading edge, just as the less forward you put into the leaders the straighter the leading edge will become.

In theory I guess.

7 hours ago, hyzakite said:

But all and all I'm sure the more forward you put into the leaders on the handles the more bend you would get across the leading edge, just as the less forward you put into the leaders the straighter the leading edge will become.

In theory I guess.

I personally inspected the sails and spars on all three kites, as well as the tuning and techniques - this was during one of my squad clinics (intense team training). ;)