KiteLife Forum

KARMA - Prism 4D w/ color choice (8-12-16)

Mike Klaiber

The next Karma drawing up for grabs is the choice of a Red or Nebula Blue Prism 4D Ultralight Dual Line Stunt Kite. 

Each kite is only slightly used with minimal flight time.

Choose from Nebula Blue or White - drawing is for one kite only, not both!

NOTE: Since this is a restart, @John Barresi is also including a one-year subscription to KiteLife for the winner, either new or renewal.

image.jpeg  image.jpegIMG_1647.JPGIMG_1648.JPG

Example in flight:

Since this is a KARMA restart, and don't we all need a little more?  I expect plenty of friendly discussion on why each of you should win however I am going to let the RNG select the winner on August 12, 2016. 5 PM EST.

Enter with "I'm in" per the usual procedure.
Good luck everyone
and let the winds be with you!

Standard Karma Note from the Moderators

This is a Karma Drawing. The winner of the drawing is expected to pay it forward by offering their own prize for the next drawing. Please do not enter unless you are willing to offer your own prize, preferably not the prize you just won. Drawings should be open for entry approximately 2 weeks, and the next drawing should be posted as soon as possible to keep the Karma rolling.

These drawings are run by and for KiteLife forum members and DO NOT require a paid subscription to enter. The moderating team only ensures that your drawing post contains all of the pertinent information (drawing date/time, adequate prize description, drawing rules) before approval.

If you are a KiteLife forum member from the US or Canada, you are eligible to enter. You do not have to be a paid subscriber. Members from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii are welcome to enter the Karma drawings provided they are willing to pay half of the Karma prize shipping cost.

The method and timing of the payment will be agreed upon between the two parties after the drawing for a particular prize.

Here is the link to the original Rules and Guidelines thread: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5426-rules-and-guidelines-please-read/

The mechanism for the drawing itself is entirely at the discretion of the person offering the prize. In the past, entry number has been determined either by order of entry or by the post number in which the member declares entry into the drawing. The drawings have been performed using the RNG method (http://www.random.org/sequences/) or by choosing the numbers out of a hat (I believe an adorable daughter did the picking in that scenario). The only requirement is that the method of selection is clearly spelled out in the drawing post.

Entry into the drawings is done by STARTING a post in the drawing thread with the entry phrase chosen by the drawing host (Traditionally "I'm in", but "I LIKE" has been used as well). In order to remove any confusion or misinterpretation, only entries with posts that START with the phrase will be considered. As with all other KiteLife drawings, bantering is encouraged. This is for fun after all.

• Like 3

Fun kites to fly! I wish I had some more dual line stunt skills to really appreciate these beauties! Both are in excellent shape. Maybe someone around the old dominion can show me some stuff once the hot air moves on and it's fun to be outside more than five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

i heard this 4D is one of the best from Prism 

I don't know. It is what it is kind of and it is much different from my other kites (Prism kites as well). It is certainly not the one kite I would bring to a deserted Island, but it serves the purpose of training me to reduce kite spanking tendencies when not desired. Recommendation: avoid doing leading edge launches on rough abrasive surfaces. After only a 15 minutes session including a  ...hrm...  nose dive and a few leading edge launches on a parking lot like court of rough pebbles, the central spine had gone through the nose.

3 hours ago, Mike Klaiber said:

I wish I had some more dual line stunt skills to really appreciate these beauties!

Wish and wish - make it come true! This kite can be brought to many places to practice due to it's small size. The beauty part I totally agree with, I've left mine up and assembled for several days now just because it looks so good!

4D-nothernPorch.jpg

A Prism 4D with a repaired nose (visible?) on display because of its delicate beauty.

• Like 2

The 4d will definitely train you to temper your inputs. I fly mine on 30' lines, it will fly in absolute zero wind, and it flies almost as fast as a Micron in any wind over 5mph.
I'm in... My son has taken possession of my red 4d, it might be fun to try to fly pairs with him.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

it will fly in absolute zero wind

I find that totally zero wind flying is very exhausting with my 4D (actually the only kite I got to do this with). Making several starts and landings is one recommendation I follow. I've also found that I need to work less with the kite at about 45 to 65 deg from the ground than with the lines close to horisontal. I really must work on my zero wind flying.

• Like 1

I find that totally zero wind flying is very exhausting with my 4D (actually the only kite I got to do this with). Making several starts and landings is one recommendation I follow. I've also found that I need to work less with the kite at about 45 to 65 deg from the ground than with the lines close to horisontal. I really must work on my zero wind flying.

Short lines are the key... The 50' lines that come with the 4d are too long for zero wind...
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, RobB said:

Short lines are the key... The 50' lines that come with the 4d are too long for zero wind...

Did that, bought a pair of lines marked with a " 50# 18' " label (50 pounds? 18 foot I suppose - well thin lines that are about 6m anyhow) for zero winds. So I guess what remains is to work on the technique. Thanks for the hint anyhow.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Firstly I wanted to apologize for my absence here! Without going into details it has been a super cruddy month. Kites and especially the karma drawing were a rare positive for me and I still want to pay things forward. I just logged in and realized things have moved on without me so I reached out to John, who suggested I sweeten the pot that Mike has generously offered!

I was planning on making a specific project for the winner but with things going the way they are I'm not sure if I can get it finished by the 12th. I wish I could match the generosity of drdemonx and Mike but I just can't commit to that right now. So minimally I want to immediately buy the winner this (inexpensive sorry but surprisingly robust) parafoil you can see my friend using in this youtube video. The only thing I don't love about this parafoil are the lines but I'm guessing most of you have several sets?

I still want to finish the project I was originally going to put up for the draw and send that out before the end of August. And Mike, I'd also like to send you something in thanks for hosting the restart. 

Thanks for hosting such a vibrant and resilient community. I'm super sorry that my absence caused the need for this drawing to restart! I hope to be a more active participant in the future! 

P.S I had the best time with the quantum a couple days ago. I have all day today to myself and am really hoping the wind will oblige! It is amazing to fly!! 

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind offer but sweetening the pot is plenty from my perspective@Happyspoon, I found I had two kites and there is someone out there needing to fly one of them! I hope to learn dual line on the other. This will be a sweet grab bag for someone. Looking forward to learning more about your project too!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind offer but sweetening the pot is plenty from my perspective@Happyspoon, I found I had two kites and there is someone out there needing to fly one of them! I hope to learn dual line on the other. This will be a sweet grab bag for someone. Looking forward to learning more about your project too!

Thanks again Mike! I got some work on the project done and can't wait to finish it!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Ohhh, I'm in!  I just saw the part about discussion as to why we should win.  I don't really have a good reason other than the 4D (or a used 3D) has been on my list for a little while but my wife would kill me if I spent more money on kites in the foreseeable future. :D

• Like 3

Like two weeks ago I handed over the handles (of my 4D) to a six year old in low to medium wind. It survived - no problems. The field was not so abrasive - a harvested field for hay production. The kite may be delicate in one way, but resistant in another.

• Like 2

• bbailey49 unpinned and locked this topic