KiteLife Forum

Rev Reflex (My First Take)

riffclown

By request a repost and update of my Reflex Review
    The Rev Reflex is a different animal indeed. The Springs do change the wing shape and dead launch from face down is almost as easy as a standard reverse launch.  The springs did however also change some of the responsiveness in the very light wind conditions.. When step accelerating a dive, you have the load the wing with a heavier hand at each step and plan again for loading the wing with the dive stop. It's almost like a delayed reaction. I like the larger size but, dislike that I don't have multiple frame options and interchangeability with the other Revs. This kite does makes a big difference at the edges.  

Extreme edge of the window, the kite reacted differently than expected. I was at the point where the springs were trying to make it float but I was still able to give input via the lines.. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one aspect of this wing that I wasn't expecting. All in All a 5 star experience.  This is a very forgiving kite that will make a difference in the novice flyer and intermediate flyer's hands. I can't speak for the Advanced Kiter or Professional's take, as I consider myself neither of those. Looking forward to more handle time with the Rev Reflex.

About the video.. Some raw footage of putting the Reflex through its paces. This was only my second flight with this kite and it DOES act differently than a typical Rev. I intentionally tried to destabilize the kite at the end and flew it well past apex.. It floated right back into the wind gracefully.

On the backside of each wing attached to the vertical spar and to the sail via velcro is a small metal spring that shapes the sail. IT keeps the sail from being perfectly flat and thus induces float when the sail is in any kind of neutral profile. It makes the dead launch from facedown possible and makes it more stable in the air.. But if any of your tricks or moves are based on a flat sail, you'll have to adjust, relearn or abandon..

20160524_181420.jpg20160524_181507.jpg

After a lot of flying, the handles started to show a lot of internal slack. I used the following methood to tighten them up. .

. I've let some friends from all over "test" the kite including Jim Cosca, Paul LeMasters and Fletch. Fletch used it almost exclusively for the ODSKC along with his Phantom SUL. In Paul's hands it truly got put to its paces and seems a capable durable kite. I'd like to see a bit more spring to the springs. Over time they tend to bend a bit and have to be reshaped..

All in all a nice sail with some unique characteristics but in the long run this was not a sail i would keep. The trade offs the springs bring to the mix impact the way i fly negatively more than they help other aspects of my flying..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In low wind, I enjoyed putting it at the very edge of the window and flying it with just the top (uppermost) handle.. Bottom handle lines can be totally slack and you still have control. Not a functional trick or anything, just a fun thing to do...

You can also dive stall it.. Quick dive acceleration, then totally slack and the kite will dip out. Lather rinse repeat, and you can make the kite almost "stair step" away from you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riffclown said:

In low wind, I enjoyed putting it at the very edge of the window and flying it with just the top (uppermost) handle.. Bottom handle lines can be totally slack and you still have control. Not a functional trick or anything, just a fun thing to do...

You can also dive stall it.. Quick dive acceleration, then totally slack and the kite will dip out. Lather rinse repeat, and you can make the kite almost "stair step" away from you.

The Revolution Power Blast 2-4 will do the same type of float, flying with only the top handle & even just the top leading edge line.  It can do it all the way across the window when you are flying with the wing vertical, even in higher wind as it is a heavier kite.  It stays in a stiff airfoil shape by design, no springs involved.  The PB 2-4 has a curved/rolled leading edge & no mesh.  Four verticals & a "Super Leading Edge" make it stiff & tough.  The tall wide sail with a large center belly generates considerable power.  So the sideways float can be used to dump power & give you a little rest.  If you misjudge a dive stop it may just spit out one of the verticals.  It excels at flying to the top of the window & going behind you.  Hope the Reflex does that as well.  SHBKF

• Like 1

Stock standard kite (and handles) .... no springs needed for that ;)

I just had the headphones in and was flying for myself on 30' lines because I had been squeezed out of the rest of the field. The wind was pretty erratic - have a look at the safety tape and the foil in the background and you will see them shifting direction and wind speed all the time.

I didn't even know I was being filmed by a member of the public until I YouTube suggested the video to me

• Like 1

So the Reflex arrived just before lunch this morning.  As I opened the box it began to rain.  So I took that as a really strong sign that this was going to be good.  Temperature was nearly 90 & the humidity was now incredible.  Took a few pictures & got in the truck to go to a kite field.  No wind so I did a few chores.  Drove by a location I had not been to in some time.  A couple weeds swayed briefly so I knew there were some little summer puffs of hot air in the area.  Walked up the hill to a rise through the tall grass.  Set up the kite & rolled out the new line set.  The lines unrolled perfectly showing the care & competence of the one who sent them.  Wind was shifting east to west with dead calm to over 10 mph measured.  So this was going to be brief but doable.  Set the stock handles for maximum brake & waited for a puff of hot air.  Kite launched straight up & it was apparent that the line set was equalized.  Flew two thirds of the way to the top of the window & did a little left & right figure eight flying.  First spin turned into a spin and a half.  Reminds me of the Rev 1 as compared to the 1.5, has a bit more momentum.  Tried to fly high, turn & glide out a bit.  This kite is going to be easy to gain ground with if you have backed up too much I thought.  The fickle winds went from fading to the lines singing & the kite handled it well.  I proceeded to land & launch as the wind came & went.  After only twenty minutes I got too hot & headed back down to the truck.  I will carry the kite with me as I travel around to find out more.  So far I am very encouraged.  Looks like it's going to have a superior wind range which is a very good thing.  More comments to come later.  SHBKF

The red white & blue Reflex is very pretty in the sky.  Had some sun back lighting the kite & it shimmered in the glory of the sky.

large.57aca50cddd0e_RevolutionReflex.jpg

The fully assembled kite can be carried in the truck as I travel around looking for some wind.  Notice the lines & handles still attached to the kite.

large.57acea3fcb909_ReflexinSierra.jpg

• Like 2

Looks to be in the development stages still, not a finished product. More than likely still offer the bigger rods, but the connector looks to hold older smaller too. Changed to fit both size rods - one inny plug. Still not sure how or if they plan to vent it, the sail layout doesn't lend itself to venting as we know it. 

Wait and see!

• Like 1

Lolly did share with me at the Rogallo that there would be a vented version. IMO, In a kite with the Reflex's flying parameters, it seems to me it would almost be like venting a Zen. I did sell mine but it was to help pay for 5 other kites including the Shook Mesh #206 :)

I flew it a lot over the few months I owned it. No complaints on the way it flies except for the catch and throw..

• Like 1

Looks to be in the development stages still, not a finished product. More than likely still offer the bigger rods, but the connector looks to hold older smaller too. Changed to fit both size rods - one inny plug. Still not sure how or if they plan to vent it, the sail layout doesn't lend itself to venting as we know it. 

Wait and see!

I've seen a vented version in a picture on FB somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app