KiteLife Forum

My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

riffclown

I wrote the instructions up and posted them for your use. This takes a small Dual line foil to a whole new level. Stops on a dime and spins like there's no tomorrow. With a few materials and bit of time you can tweak an otherwise good stunt foil into a Quadline Contender..

***Note the plans are for 8 point bridles and will work fine.. The kites I customize will have a 9 point bridles which aids in reverse flight and stability.

http://www.riffclown.com/kites/HQ2.2.4Conversion.pdf

Flying Demo

And in a bit higher wind

I even took my first buggy ride using this kite..

Enjoy..

• Like 1
  • Like 3

First Video check out the 0:59 sec and 2:46 marks.. I was still getting used to the kite when this vid was made.. I had never flown a Rev at the time.. i was just jealous of what they could do.

This was literally my first 4 line kite...

My first quad flight was with a Prism Snap Shot 2.5 foil that I converted from two line to four line after flying it only one time.  I also purchased the Prism convertible bar at the same time as the brake line set.  Tried it out in the bar mode to start with which was kind of like a three line kite.  The two brake lines were attached to a single line at the center of the bar & basically allowed you to back the kite down.  You could also do a crude but effective reverse launch by pulling on the center line that came through the bar.  Initially I had trouble with getting the brake lines correct as they were a bit too long even when using the bridle adjustment knots to take up some of the slack.  I had my first lesson in line equalization but still did not realize the true impact it would have on my later quad flying.  After one session with the bar mode I switched to the handle mode & never looked back.  The handle mode taught me about turning with brake inputs but the small foil still flew mainly on the top lines.  A few months later my wife gave me a Rev SLE.  I finally calmed down a bit on the third session & started steering with slight brake inputs.  That got me out of the launch, spin, crash cycle & I began to fly the stiff little wing.   SHBKF

Below is an image of poor form & I am about to crash in the second session of Rev flight.

The "Archer Stance" would come into play later when flying the large Revs.

1-04-13 Haystack Hill Rev 1.5 about to crash.JPG

To me putting it on a bar all but cripples a kite..I have several Powerkites and the Flexi Bar for the Bullet. I do buggy and I prefer the control of a Fixed Bridle Quad on Handles.

As for this topic, I like My Symphony 2.2.4 for the stunt capability..I've only seen one kite out of the box that comes close and it isn't the Spiderkites Smithi. (Yes I've flown them side by side.). I've had so many people ask me in the field about the Symphony, I put the QR code to the PDF on the back of my AKA card. And these are Rev flyers..

It's the Skydog Powerfoil 1.8. It stunts almost as well and is already 4 line so no conversion is needed..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from a field session with a custom Riff Special.  Had tried before in lighter wind & realized I needed a bit more so I waited until the wind, weather & available time coalesced into a beautiful October afternoon.  The wind was an uneven ten to fifteen with gusts into the twenties.  First tried four different style single line kites with only the Prism Bora 7 willing to tolerate the variable strong winds.  Carefully staked it out & put my grandson in charge of monitoring the pretty kite.  Time to use one set of quad lines that had a questionable heritage.  I had received them in a used kite buy & really did not know the weight or length.  They had no sleeves & I finally decided they were 200# x 100' home brewed.   Quite an exercise in laying them out but with calm careful patience I unsnarled them in about ten minutes.  Attached the kite, then a set of Rev power handles.

Gave the handles a sharp pop & the kite inflated, taking to the air easily.  The kite was flying in changing wind directions & pressures with no problems at all.  An earlier late summer light wind session had exhibited some tip collapse in the narrow window but none of that occurred with the stronger winds of autumn.  Of course that earlier issue could have been be the flier/flailer me.  A big gust came along & the little wing started to really pull moving me around a bit.  Ground passes were very straight & easily controlled.  Flying to the top of the window straight over my head I felt like the kite could have given enough lift for little hops.  But I really enjoyed diving straight down with a dive stop, spin & back to the top.  Backward flight was easily accomplished even though the leading edge ram air effect into the cells was lost causing the kite to fly as a sheet.  If you did it slowly enough the cells would stay inflated.  The kite is easily backed down to a landing straight down wind using the brakes.  It parks well & is easily relaunched.  As the wind varied up & down I tried flying to the side of the window & pausing about twenty feet up.  The kite stayed pasted to the spot very well.  Launches, inverted launches, dive stops, spins, reverse flight, inverted flight, hovers, I really like this kite!  I need some lab grade beach wind to really explore this great kite further.   A very worthwhile modification of a two line beach kite, a winner Riff!   Thanks, SHBKF

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stepped outside to do some chores this morning & heard that magic sound, the wind chimes in the gazebo.  If the wind is blowing down in the little hollow where I live it is usually flyable over in a nearby hay field.  Down in the dungeon I grabbed a few more kites to put in the truck with the everyday carry selection that lives on the back floorboard.

Sun shining, temperatures in the fifties, wind measured at 8 to 10 mph.  Flew the Nirvana standard for a bit to get the feel of the sky so to speak.  Then attempted a session with the Rev 1.5 three stack but the gusty changing wind was not too good for smooth flying.  So out came the Riff modded Symphony as I fly it on the same lines & handles as the stack.  I flew it for a long time.  I am really beginning to develop a relationship with the little foil.  This kite really excels in gusty inland conditions.  Nothing seems to phase it.  I continue to improve my flying of the kite as I get more of a feel for what it likes.  One thing I tried today seems to be useful.  If you give the handles repeated short pumps, (whumps?), the kite's cells fill firmly & it moves forward gaining speed & the apparent wind effect sends you on your way again.

The wind picked up & turned into a extra vent Tekken kind of day so I flew the pretty blue kite for some time.  I heard the roar of a couple low flying jets above me & looked up to see two A-10 Warthogs fly over.  Ah yes, what a sight to see on Veteran's Day.  

We salute you, SHBKF

large.gallery_7709_404_2754803.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well it took multiple layers, two hats, fleece lined pants and gortex gloves but I was able to finally get out and fly my newly modified Symphony Pro 2.2.4. Many thanks to Riff/Rob for the bridle and tuning. Using my 120', 80# Rev setup in 12mph steady and 20+ gusts I proceeded to smile and have a great time! Yes at times the lines were whistling and the pull extreme for the lineset but boy did I have fun! I truly enjoy the simple satisfying 2.2 but the 2.2.4 is another level of fun. I truly recommend it! I need to increase line strength but other than that tuning is pretty straight forward. Got a little wing collapse here and there but was my fault more than the kites! When my Rev is not in my hand, I believe this one will be for a while. Tons O Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

I'm very happy you like it. As I've stated before, it is an amazingly addictive kite and quickly facilitates a flier's transition from 2 line flying to the 4 line experience. Hopefully we can get the opportunity to fly together sometime.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I too have a Riffmod Symphony.  It was sent to me to try.  It was held in the Kite Dungeon for an extended period until the original mad modder relented & let me buy it.  When I heard there were going to be several at the clinic I was anxious to hear about the ap prais al.  As I knew it deserved praise.  When I was privileged to see the raw footage while chatting the other night I recognized the little foil in the hands of the Master.  There was no mistaking who's hands were holding the handles.  Great stuff!  Hope the modded wonder receives the ultimate compliment & makes it into standard production.  But I usually have Know Eye Deer.  SHBKF

• Like 2

@John Barresi's first moments with the Symphony 2.2.4. Once I got it unpacked and ready, I handed the handles to JB at the 1:00 mark for his extremely short familiarization with the modded foil. Like SHBKF, I was very interested i hearing his first impressions. It validated a lot of how I feel about this foil and the conversion. Notice how he puts it through the paces very quickly and find the limits of the sail. I spoke with him about the few idiosyncrasies with this item and he decided he was ready to play.   This ground cam segment is the immediate precursor to the JB & Scott video above. The "Warmup before the dance" if you will. At 4:02 you see him decide to run over ans start interacting with Scott and the lake..

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I feel a little stupid after flying​ my Symphony 2.2.4 with my new handles. Since the adjustment knots were on one leader of the handles, I figured those should be at the top. WRONG! So I was flying with the handles upside down. No wonder the kite didn't fly as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Well, I feel a little stupid after flying​ my Symphony 2.2.4 with my new handles. Since the adjustment knots were on one leader of the handles, I figured those should be at the top. WRONG! So I was flying with the handles upside down. No wonder the kite didn't fly as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

Traction handles only have break adjustment knots

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1