KiteLife Forum

LE tabs (service available for Revs)

John Barresi

I think the mods would apply to a B2, although I haven't had cause to do one yet, it can be done.

No Long Beach for us this year, headed to Europe for 4 weeks right on the heels of WSIKF and we decided we couldn't manage both... Terribly sorry.

That being said, cheap and fast ship for just a sail with no bridle on it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, Flintfootfilly said:

Haven't come across grosgrain before. How does it differ from dacron?

Sent from my E6653 using KiteLife mobile app

While grosgrain fabric is generally black, it can be many different colors, and grosgrain ribbon comes in a large variety of colors and patterns. "Grosgrain" is commonly used to refer to a heavy, stiff ribbon of silk or nylon woven via taffeta weave using a heavy weft which results in distinct transverse ribs.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, khsidekick said:

I need to send in a few of mine. emoji853.png

They only get worse with each loaded flight, especially stretching around the verticals (wear strips) and along the trailing edge (2nd stitch), mesh break down (tabs) really varies depending on the user. ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a Standard and Mid done by my brother from another mother...

Spanked them all through Treasure Island Sport Kite Competition and after....preparing for SPI Team KiteLife torture.

Much better " feel" out of my production B series quads. 

Thank you sir !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystainedskin said:

Just had a Standard and Mid done by my brother from another mother...

Spanked them all through Treasure Island Sport Kite Competition and after....preparing for SPI Team KiteLife torture.

Much better " feel" out of my production B series quads. 

Thank you sir !

Quite a testimony from one of my mentor Masters.  Sounds like time for me to get some sails in the mail.  SHBKF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

John,

I have some 1" insignia tape that I will sew onto my rev 1.5 on the back side from upper rod pocket to bottom rod pocket. I noticed in your picture you didn't sew it across the vent area. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the reinforcement? I'm thinking about sewing it all the way across. Is there a reason you didn't extend the tape across the vent area?

Thanks for all the inspiration and instructions.

Willie

I was indeed carrying the stretch / wear strip across the mesh, except for some early mods I did.

On that note, I am only somewhat sorry to report that we ar discontinuing the upgrade services as of today - with the advent of the Djinn and other kites with these features already included, it’s just not worth the effort for us - that being said, I hope this (continuing) forum topic will serve to assist those who do the upgrades themselves.

All the best!

Someone asked for this information, reposting for all you DIY folks who may want to do aftermarket mods to your kites that did not already include wear (stretch) strips and LE tabs. ;)

Typically, I used 1” insignia tape for the wear (stretch) strips along the verticals.

https://goodwinds.com/sail-supplies/tapes/insignia-tape.html

The adhesive makes it easy to place, but also a little gummy to sew... On the Djinn, we’re using 3 oz Dacron - a bit stronger but requires manual adhesion.

For the tabs, I used Nylon Grosgrain, 1” for the fold points and center, 1/2” for all the other points... The Djinn uses Dacron (part of the sail building process) but these Grosgrain tabs are easier to work with for aftermarket addons, imho.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/12-Grosgrain-Ribbon-35-yard_p_269.html

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/1-Grosgrain-Ribbon-55-yard_p_271.html

I seem to recall Seattle Fabrics cutting off smaller quantities for me, may be worth giving them a call if you don’t need a bunch of it.

Honestly, every quad brand should include some version of these solutions right from the factory and I expect we’ll see more and more of it - they do significantly extend the life and performance of the kites, which is why they’re stock features on the Djinn.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Honestly, every quad brand should include some version of these solutions right from the factory and I expect we’ll see more and more of it - they do significantly extend the life and performance of the kites, which is why they’re stock features on the Djinn.

And that's probably why you won't see them from most manufacturers. The sooner the kite wears out, the sooner they can sell you another. It's a fine line between price point and durability -- one that every business needs to consider. Repeat sales are always welcomed and help a company stay in business. If a product never wears out the market soon becomes saturated.

• Like 1

That is a fact, however it’s also possible to force select companies to a new standard, and to raise pilots to a standard where they are using their equipment more thoroughly and aggressively, thereby balancing out somewhat... I know, I know, but I only work forward, not backward. 🤘

• Like 3

I buy Carhartt coats. Pricey but I have a light jacket one that's over 20 . Only wear it at home cause it's pretty ragged. Not to many stores sell Carhartt coats. My heavy winter one is over 12. Still go in public with it but for not much longer. People figure out it's worth spending a little more up front for good stuff. Cheaper in the long run. Would a person be happier with a Kite Forge or a Hengda? Depends on what you want to do. Me I'll save and go Kite Forge. Hold on a second I don't even know how to fly a quad.Never mind!!

from tension on the lines and leading edge of kite facing up-right,...... thumbs up, step back, lower your hands, hold the handles softer and closer together too.  Relax, this is fun, breath, learn the cartwheel technique first so you can roll-over from inverted.

only four moves are possible,.. 1 both thumbs @ nose= forward (NOT up),

2 both thumbs @kite=reverse (NOT down)

3, one thumb @nose =clockwise rotation (not a left turn!)

4, other thumb @nose=counter-clockwise rotation (not right turn)

So the kite doesn't go up and down, and it can't go left or right, the controls are minor influence to major impact at the kite. Try softer,... and add in some body position movements and your feet don't have to be stationary either!

you'll love the quads because they can fly anywhere anytime any conditions,... you just gotta want it bad enough!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

from tension on the lines and leading edge of kite facing up-right,...... thumbs up, step back, lower your hands, hold the handles softer and closer together too.  Relax, this is fun, breath, learn the cartwheel technique first so you can roll-over from inverted.

only four moves are possible,.. 1 both thumbs @ nose= forward (NOT up),

2 both thumbs @kite=reverse (NOT down)

3, one thumb @nose =clockwise rotation (not a left turn!)

4, other thumb @nose=counter-clockwise rotation (not right turn)

So the kite doesn't go up and down, and it can't go left or right, the controls are minor influence to major impact at the kite. Try softer,... and add in some body position movements and your feet don't have to be stationary either!

you'll love the quads because they can fly anywhere anytime any conditions,... you just gotta want it bad enough!

for some reason I'm thinking this was meant somewhere else??