KiteLife Forum

Non Kite items perfect for Kiting.

There are a lot of items that are available day-to-day that are not only good for their intended purpose, they are also easily used for other "outside the box" applications

A few examples of items I've found to be good for kiting are

Muzzy Extreme Bow Fishing Line makes very good sleeving material. I've used it to sleeve mini-blind cord to make pigtails, bridle attachment points and leader lines for my handles.

I have also used an insulated soft cooler and or duffles for a soft kite bag.

Foldable Wagon makes an excellent field wagon for those that carry more..stuff. This isn't outside the box but it works great.

Coleman tent stakes make great kite stakes. Add a golf ball and you have $2 kite stakes..

Disclaimer. Use safety gear to hold items while drilling or fitting..

A broken guitar string makes a great sleeving tool. Just fold it in half and lock the ends together with a split key ring and/or tape.

What have you found that does the job for you despite being made for something else?

• Like 1

Motorcycle goggles keep sand out of the eyes. Reuse good parts of a bridle for sleeving. I use "O" rings on my rods at the ends of my end caps to keep out sand. An old bowling bag strap added to my Rev bag makes it a backpack. 

Forgot the ice pick I use as a stake in really hard ground. 

I use a set of upholstery needles and tweezers to remove knots.

Use a cork screw to undo tight knots. Insert the tip only a few mm to start with in a few places in the knot. Avoid going through a line or sleeving. After impaling the knot a few times, go deeper through with the cork screw.

mini-unKnotting.jpg

The ski bag allows me to carry more kites than my kite bag if that would be required. A thick walled paper tube inside the ski bag protected the kites when flying/air travelling with kites as checked in luggage.

In the (ordinary) kite bag I got plenty of rubber bands for holding line sets and loose spars together, a small light flash lamp to verify that I didn't leave something on the ground in the dark when going home, small loops of string to help me to tension the sail and attach the-string-on-the-sail to the nock on certain stubborn kites. Unfortunately no sun protective goo as I should have.

I find that this topic is almost without bounds, especially if including repairs, and I therefore limit myself to to frequently used (well), efficient and simple gear. A good guideline was the "outside the box" phrase for the non apparent angle. I like this topic - it is info sharing efficient!

• Like 1

I carry a selection of Carbon Fiber Arrow shafts as well as a spar saw and several short pieces of Fiberglass bicycle flag. I can make a spar any length in a pinch. Not nearly as stiff as Rev or Skyshark but suitable to get me through the rest of the day flying.. Certain stores blow out their arrow shafts after hunting season for as cheap as $1. Slice off the fletching and cut to your needs..

A soccer Ball bag is a nice room field bag for larger powerfoils..Come complete with backpack style straps.