KiteLife Forum

Dye Sublimation One Piece Revs

riffclown

Dye Sublimation one piece sails the wave of the future for Rev?.. Don't get me wrong, I have 2 Trifinity Kites and I like them. In normal to light conditions,  one of those is the first Rev I unpack. I usually start on 30ft lines.  In retrospect a new JB Series comes with 2 Frames, more labor intensive sail, Vented options and seems an overall better value. Market Price has it near the same price point.

For the Dye Sub,as with any printed material. the design can be changed on a computer and "ta-da" --> new kite. The Dye Subs are also marketing around the same "Kite Only" market price point as the NYM which also has Vent options and typically a second frame..

Is the printed sail "and collecting them" to be Revolution's new prime offering??

What are your thoughts on a one piece sail that is simply set apart from others by the print?

We have two printed sails.  I have the red geisha and my husband has the helicopters.  Both were purchased because they were special to us.  I don't plan on buying any more.  The individuality is gone.  The uniqueness of a Masterpiece kite is missing.  I like having something different, not just being one of a hundred.  And what's to keep that from happening when the sail is a file on a computer.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how the standard sails fly, the three I have are tucked away. The two I rarely fly, not even this year are the Revopolo mid-vent and the vented, both fly very smooth and have the weight to fly with 2wrap and black race frames. The Revopolo's I have are labeled as "original" as it was the first color combo.

The Revopolo is a wave of the past, I just visited their website, now they have 180 different choices. I think the wave of the future has been covered for awhile now.

People like seeing revs fly or teams flying, and they want to do the same, many people can't afford high end kites, some people, like me, can't even sew a button on a shirt, no less make a kite, so the next best thing is to buy an EXP or 1.5.

4 hours ago, hyzakite said:

People like seeing revs fly or teams flying, and they want to do the same, many people can't afford high end kites, some people, like me, can't even sew a button on a shirt, no less make a kite, so the next best thing is to buy an EXP or 1.5.

Or look into a frielien kite. bought a std and a vented for my boy, he's a dueller just starting in quads and is doing well with it. It looks well made, is good looking {to us} and won't break the bank, the two cost almost the same as one rev kite. We can always sell them later and buy a rev if he finds out the rev will serve him better, but for now we are good to go. Of course this may be blasphemy to rev'ers but I just consider it a darker side of the dark side. The std vertigo freilien was 160$, vented 199$ {kite only} and unlike the EXP they both have wear strips behind the verticals. no extra frame though. Kite can be bought as a package deal with lines if you need them or just the kite. Oceanshores kites has revs on sale right now also,  pretty good deal either way if you must. Better to find out more from andy at his store, I'm only showing an option to rev's, one should always check out for themselves if its a good one for you, We're not experience'd enough about either kites to recommend buying a freilein, but for us it's been a positive thing so far.

good luck to all, time to find some wind.

I have a PoloVTD,
Wasn't finished as well as I expected for the price. Had to wait 6 months, without any information from either party, for it as it was during "a world wide Icarex shortage"...

However, it is a high wind demon! I've pushed it into the 70+ km/h and still only on a 3 frame. Different feel.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

On 8/6/2016 at 7:49 AM, photomom said:

We have two printed sails.  I have the red geisha and my husband has the helicopters.  Both were purchased because they were special to us.  I don't plan on buying any more.  The individuality is gone.  The uniqueness of a Masterpiece kite is missing.  I like having something different, not just being one of a hundred.  And what's to keep that from happening when the sail is a file on a computer.

I have the two Trifinity (RWB and Rainbow) and also recently received the Skulls kite. The printed Revs open up the possibility for lots of custom printed sails without a "retooling" or re-patterning cost BUT at a price point higher than the current offerings ($350.00 for the Printed Kite Only vs. $265 for the 1.5 or $330 RTF) and even the NYM Sail only price of $325-ish, it almost feels like the Kite version of Stamp Collecting.. (Stated Prices based on averages between several dealers as not all items available all places)

I'd think the Dye Sub kites would be much cheaper to produce than a sewn sail like the JB, NYM, SLE or 1.5 series..Especially with the money they obviously saved with the new frames included with the kites.

Rev-Skulls.jpg

• Like 2

Rev does not appear to be making a secret of the fact that they are squeezing every penny they can get out of the business. Printed sails and the prices they are charging are a part of that. I agree with you, there's no way it costs as much to fab a printed sail kite as it does a NYM. But, hey, if people will pay it, why not charge it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

it almost feels like the Kite version of Stamp Collecting

Legitimate observation.

Side note, the printed kites all come from Spain so there is some mark up from import... Same in reverse for Europe, printed kites are cheaper and Rev factory stuff is way more expensive.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, bbailey49 said:

Rev does not appear to be making a secret of the fact that they are squeezing every penny they can get out of the business. Printed sails and the prices they are charging are a part of that. I agree with you, there's no way it costs as much to fab a printed sail kite as it does a NYM. But, hey, if people will pay it, why not charge it?

But by keeping the price points high, they've all but invited the very competition they've fought all these years. IMO, they've maximized their profit in the short term but they've done it at the expense of the brand itself.

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

But by keeping the price points high, they've all but invited the very competition they've fought all these years. IMO, they've maximized their profit in the short term but they've done it at the expense of the brand itself.

I'm certainly not accusing them of making smart decisions. ;)

My opinion on the kites, though is that they are really smooth in lower winds, but because they don't have any structure (seams running sideways and vertically) they seem a little mushy to me. Not as snappy.

If you ran a seam over them do you think that would help? Only adding the weight of the thread.

I think you'd have to add material as well to provide the strength and "stretch" resistance. If you're adding those things, you're also adding additional weight. Not necessarily a bad thing.. EVERYTHING in kiting is a matter of trade offs. Strength vs Weight. Design vs. Architecture, Materials vs. Cost. The key is finding the balance that meets your needs for any given set of conditions.. 

Also, the simple thread seam wouldn't provide the channeling of airflow across the sail itself. Those small areas of slight turbulent flow and air resistance on an otherwise laminar like flow structure provides the feel or touch that is so coveted. If you look at the B-Series sail design you can almost see the channeling of the actual air flow.

When you get into Vented  and Mesh Kites, it's also interesting to note if you look a something like a Shook Mesh, you can see the same channeling with the breaks between the sails providing an open air relief for the strip immediately preceding it.. That's one reason I prefer a mesh over a vented. You get a highly reduced pull without sacrificing the overall balance of the sail surface. The additional break points actually increase the feel of the kite over a normal vent pattern. Sorry, the engineer in me tries to get out sometimes. 

FWIW, I enjoy flying the one piece sails more than the SLE I have. I've only recently gotten my first B Series and I'm really looking forward to flying it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

If you ran a seam over them do you think that would help? Only adding the weight of the thread.

Seams actually stretch along with the fabric, so it wouldn't really make much of a difference, but sewing in a 1/4-inch strip of Icarex could do the trick. The weight added? Tenths of a gram per strip.

• Like 2