KiteLife Forum

Looking for kite fabric that doesn't cost a fortune.

Snapdragons

sad as this may be reading it.  You get what you pay for,.. the amount of work is the same regardless of materials used.  You will never regret using the best materials for your kite, do you want an indoor or high winder?, bad weather-proof or fair-skies only?

Icarex is 20 bucks a sq yard and nylon is half that @ 10,... cuban is 60 bucks a yard!

You might be able to find some "seconds", I'd try Phil Broder and see what's available.

SAVE your money and get it right,... cheap/bad material stretches, absorbs water, fails at the stress points and won't fly as you'd expect it to even when conditions are perfect!

Phil does have ripstop on sale from time to time.  Here's the link to his web site Fly Market Kite Making Supply.  Also keep an eye on the Kitebuilder.com forum.  Sometimes builders there have material they want to get rid of for one reason or another.  Or they may know of other suppliers and sales.

I found this manufacturer in China that sells waterproof "kite fabric". I can tell it isn't ripstop from the pictures but it only costs 2.00 per yard. I also found a closeout site that has ripstop at 1.00 per yard if you buy the remnant of the roll but I am not sure if it is "kite" ripstop. I just want to make a huge inflatable without going broke. Could either of these be an option? Just looking for the best deal out there.

I'd be afraid of both these deals. Do they say what weight the rips top is? 3/4 oz. is the best for kites. 1.5 oz. is more for banners, tents, duffles and sleeping bags. The motto I always remember is "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Too cheap may mean a unflyable kite. I have to look for deals, too, but those scare me.

Okay I know that Ripstop nylon is the fabric of choice for most of you but I can't afford what most people are charging for it. Is there a way to get a major discount on ripstop or is there an alternative material that doesn't cost so much.

One way is to ask a kite builder to buy the off cuts or end of rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1