KiteLife Forum

Even Longer Lines for a Rev

riffclown

I know the standards are 80' and 120' and everything in between.. Shorter for tight areas and fast flying.. What's the longest lineset you use practically? Anyone fly a Rev on 200+ foot lines?

Thinking about buying some bulk lines and considering making a 250-ish quad set before I chop them down to 120's

The longest set of lines I fly are 250's... though there aren't many areas that will accommodate that length. Veterans Park in MIlwaukee, WI is the only field I use them... but what a window!

• Like 2

does the length start affecting the kite response too much and how much sag and lag do you get with 250's?

Yes, a fair bit x2.

If you have ever flown on the shorter lengths, 30 or 50 feet, you'll know the response is quick instant compared to 120. I expect they would be a little mushy but response would be a little delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

1 hour ago, Jynx said:

The longest set of lines I fly are 250's... though there aren't many areas that will accommodate that length. Veterans Park in MIlwaukee, WI is the only field I use them... but what a window!

I was just going to mention Jynx has a 250' set..lol I really want to try that out sometime as I've got plenty of room here.

Oh my gosh, there's Jynx! I thought about her a few days ago! Naturally! I remember the word news came from the words North East West South. Ok, I'm done with off topic! I've messed with long lines but now 25 paces feel right. You do the long long long long lines because you can, but there is really nothing out there as far as feeling between you and the kite.

What's the record for quad line length? You need people in between to help you get it up! I've heard that before!

• 7 months later...

I tried 240' lines a few years ago at Veterans' Park in Milwaukee, WI. Jynx (Colleen Baker), set one up in light-ish wind. Give launch input......have a drink of water.......kite reacts. Full-time slomo due to line drag. I'm thinking 50# x 180' could be fun. 

looking at footage from the other end of the lines, the kite wasn't travelling that slow in the inner cone of the wi dow. it was just travelling a lot farther for the same angular change at the handles. It did exhibit drag on the lines that slowed it down and limited the larger than normal window a lot. But it was a huge window to begin with. Keep in mind this was a SUL sail in light wind conditions. 

FWIW, if it hadn't been for the dune line, JB would have pulled off the 360 on 240's.The speed of the kite wasn't the limiting factor. Size of the field was the issue. 30 more feet of flat beach and it would have been absolutely unreal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Barresi said:

I got just past 180 degrees, a couple dozen steps away from the "hook back" part of my run - so close!

Ah Ha! a crucial clue to explain some of my failures.  I will have to ponder the move mentioned.  Thanks!  SHBKF

Aye, running a full circle is highly inefficient... The hook in your foot path occurs shortly after the kite passes the exact backside of the 360 (wind on back of kite), path of the run looks kind of like this.

IMG_7849.PNG

Entry is top right, pilot finishes at the inner point... Of course, the shape isn't exact, but the theory holds. ;)

There's also an extended Entry run to drive the kite as far into the edge of the window as possible before you bank the run downwind.

• Like 2