KiteLife Forum

New to kites completely.

Zendal

Still trying to figure out which one to buy.

Prism SLK, DLK, QLK from Revolution, Vertigo from Ocean Shore Kites, or a Lam Hoac ABS.

Average winds are around 4mph inland, but can drive to the coast in 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ran out of time to finish post earlier. I was at the WAIKF and kite shot right up in the air. I was walking around to look at the kites and saw a guy just pull back on handles of a quad kite and it went right in the air.

He said, "See the guy in the black hat. He will give you lessons." went over he gave me lessons on his revolution kite it was fun. The guy in the black hat was Joe Hadzicki. I ended up covering most of level 1 of the Club 38 in 10-15 minutes of never flying.

I lived inland and ran with kites and never got them to fly as a kid. Being there and them going up to end of line was fun.

I will be at the Pierce County Festival Sunday and planning to attend the Seaside festival in October.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

One of each....

Get what you like the look and feel of. Taste them all.

An average of 4mph wind sees you in a;
Non vented and light frame quad.
SUL/UL dual line.
Maybe a larger type Delta SLK say 15 foot.

The lighter frame and kite you go, kind of the more fragile it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

If you had tons of fun with the quad, then go with that. If you can afford it, get an SLK, a DLK, and a QLK. If you get the bug you'll end up with a lot more than three eventually anyway. Buy quality stuff. If you decide to get out of kite flying, you'll get back a better percentage of what you paid. Better quality = better performance 99% of the time; a ten-dollar kite flies like a ten-dollar kite, just as a VW does not perform or last like a BMW.

• Like 1

The Quantum will be a bit heavy for the winds you described, until you have a lot of experience. It is a great, well-made and durable kite, but can be frustrating in lower wind speeds. Consider the Zephyr as an alternative, if your preference is for Prism kites.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zendal said:

It changed today it is 21 mph and is supposed to be 10 mph all week. My daughter's $1 kite wouldn't go up more than a few feet.

Attach the flying line 1/2"-ish up more towards the nose of the kite, so that the wind slides past it more easily, rather than pushing directly on the sail. When the wind deforms the shape of the sail too much the kite won't fly.