KiteLife Forum

Welcome Slappy

Hello @Slappy,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I will be getting a Rev in a month or two, but for now will be flying on my Widow NG (comes in Thursday).

Any idea when more dual line videos may get posted? Only the one on there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Slappy, and welcome to the forum. Have you joined the IKE (Illinois Kite Enthusiasts) club yet? If not go to ikeclub.org and sign up; it's free. Do you know Mike Stephenson, Route 66 Kites, in Pontiac? There are a couple of kite festivals coming up this weekend and the next, and the IKE kite retreat towards the end of the month. Contact Mike at the store for more info and join us if you can. You can check out some kites and accessories so you can make an informed decision when you are ready to buy.

I look forward to flying with you soon. Were you at the club fly in Pontiac a couple of weeks ago?

I've already signed up for IKE (Slappy). Mike and Anne's shop is where I bought the Widow NG. I was at the fly last weekend and that's what inspired the big kite purchase. I can't make WI this weekend, but will be at the Macomb one. I didn't get to try a Rev last weekend, but I'm sure that will be the next purchase. I'm hoping to get to try one out in Macomb, but not knowing anyone makes me a bit nervous. I hate to just go up to random people and ask to use their gear. This will be my first festival, so I'm not really sure what to expect. The faq says if you have a professional kite to contact them to reserve a space. Would that be limited to a Rev, or the 8' dual line? Guess the kids and I will just show up and roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I believe the "professional kite" is a reference to advanced flyers who might want to "strut their stuff" on the demonstration field. Any of the teams or individual flyers who are "pro class" would love to let you fly one of their kites. I believe that team 180GO!, of which Big Mike is a member, will at the Macomb festival doing routines to music with their Revs. Don't be afraid to ask, we all love helping those with an interest to get a feel for the kite, and helping with what is needed to get out and fly. Definitely give Big Mike a call.

Thanks. Every time I go to the shop, Mike is at work, so I haven't actually seen him there. I just saw a post that they will have their shop tent there, so at least I'll know someone's face. I remember a few other faces from last weekend, and know about half were named Mike or John, but can't remember who's who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if you call everybody Mike, you'll be right about half the time. It would be nice if they could make a living just selling kites, but even though Mike works elsewhere, Anne should be there most of the time and she has been doing this kite thing for a long time. Their sons are darn good kite flyers also and help at the store, so you basically can't go wrong talking to anyone at the shop. She normally handles the sales end on the field when they have their tent set up and Mike flies with the team, but she's no slouch with a kite of any kind herself and has the knowledge to help you choose. If she has any doubt about what would be right, she will have you ask the other people to give you a hand and advise you or let you try their stuff. Show up at a few fests and you can see them in action -- you know how action speaks louder than words.

@Slappy, sorry for the tardy response on my part... Regarding dual line tutorials, more are on the "white board" - I'm not sure when we'll actually get more done, but they are on my mind. :)

You're definitely in a good spot with a solid community of kitefliers around you - in the meantime, here are some other starter links that might be of interest.