KiteLife Forum

Stacking (Shortest Stack Lines)

riffclown

What's the shortest viable stack interval for full sail 1.5's. I know the standards and the guidelines but how short is too short a distance between kites?

I'm looking to make a very tight stack of 3 and I'm hoping to avoid some experimentation..

I assume I could get a tighter stack if I went with progressive venting.

I didn't notice any difference, in terms of behaviour, between a 4 stack progressively vented to a 4 stack of full sails. That was using the "off the shelf" 4.5 foot train lines.
Obviously the pull was less but both were suited to the conditions they were up in. I have the bottom train lines on the rear kite roughly 10-12mm shorter to lock up the stack on both sets.

I only have a permanent 2 stack of full sails now but it was fun.

I've heard that Alden Miller uses 3 foot train lines on his "Jimmy" stack.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

2/3's the length of the leading edge is as you put it, you know the standard. But the how short probably has never been attempted. I'm sure 1 inch apart will fly in the right wind. Hell, if roofs and cars and trucks can fly in the right amount of wind, I'm sure 3 kites glued together can even fly in that wind along with the person flying them! If Dorothy and Toto can fly a house all the way to Oz, anything is possible!

I have used three foot link lines on sixty inch dualies with no problems.  I eventually switched to longer forty-eight inch links just to make the stack longer also conforming to the stock set up for that type kite.  It does give the stack a bigger look in the sky & allows me to see the individual kites a bit better.  But I did like the tight spacing for it's close formation look.  I am just beginning to stack Revolution Sportwings as it takes some time to acquire similar kites, not to mention the expense.  But I am in no particular hurry to run through the many possibilities as my desire is to just enjoy it all on the path through my KiteLife.   SHBKF

further apart will create more pull and control (like say you wanted to actually fly in reverse, as opposed to just hovering for a moment, or a beautiful side slide inverted, SLOWLY across the window

if you don't want risk tangling kites as often and are after lesser amount of arm yanking power, then you can place them closer together.

Lots of folks use 3 foot stacking lines on 90 inch leading edges.  I use 3 feet with 42 inch leading edges kites.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...