KiteLife Forum

Creating club

Mikelp3586

Has anyone had success creating a local club? Seems anywhere I go on vacation there is always a club fly and it would be nice to have one at home. I have a couple spots that could be used that are ideal. Is it as easy as creating a fb group and just spreading the word? My state is completely lacking anything like this and I think it could work just have to reach out and find other folks but I'd love to see this turn into something to be able to share the fun in this hobby we all love!!!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I'm interested to see some feedback on this topic as well. I chatted with an employee at a local kite shop here in VA Beach in April about it. He said he was going to start a local club but had some legal hoops to jump through first. He didn't elaborate...

You keep going to the same spot and fly, scheduled regularly, when possible engage the public, share, others join informally, eventually if enough folks join, you'll need some structure to distribute responsibilities, remember to treat everyone with a smile and as you'd prefer to be welcomed.  Everyone is a new friend, don't form a clique with your homies or try to sell your old crap, include family-friendly activities, do a press release for the newspaper or radio station, see if you can volunteer kiting involvement in other official activities in the community, can you Walk/march in the 4th of July parade?  Offer your sled kite building services with the local library, put up a few cool kites in their lobby in advance and leave 'em up for a quarter of the year.  Churches or family reunions might want monster bubbles, a balloon fest is perfect, they fly or you do! Try a museum, got one just for kids? They should have a way to reach you!  Like everything else, you will get better at marketing/recruiting with more hours spent in your objective's practice.  Public elementary schools are ripe for picking,.. And you get to fly indoors, are you science or art, or a hobby or a sport, maybe your STEM or an interesting history lesson instead.

• Like 2

I wish western Colorado had a group. My son and I fly regularly at a school near our house and sometimes in a park in Grand Junction and we've never seen any other kite flyers. 

Create or start your own club. Give it a social media presence like a Facebook page and before you know it...

Thanks JB I appreciate the info. They are about 3 hours west of me, I'm in Western Colorado. I met you in the kite shop in Seaside OR in August. My crazy wife took our picture. 😊  next summer I think we are moving to the Oregon coast, probably down south near Lakeside. Thanks again for the info. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...