KiteLife Forum

First Quadline Kite

photomom

I've built several single line kites over the past few years.  All different shapes and sizes.  This will be my first stunt kite build.  Finished the sail yesterday and will make the leading edge today.  Not only is it my first quad build, I am experimenting at the same time.  I'm going to omit the mesh and just attach the leading edge with tabs only.  Will either frame it with diamond rods, three wrap rods or green race rods.  A lot depends on the wind the day I'm flying.  Wish me luck. 

• Like 6

I used my Elliot Shook Mesh quad as a pattern.  The last time we were in Corolla and visited Cath and Elliot, he gave me a lot of tips on the construction of his quad line kite.  The appliqué is a simple design and the sail is in three pieces; two wings and a center section.  It went together in one evening.  The hardest part was getting the appliqué centered and even on both wing sections.  

After the initial measurements and cutting ( and a lot of thinking and planning), it has gone so quick I hadn't even thought about documenting it.  I will post a photo when I get the leading edge on it and, hopefully, when it flies.

• Like 2

This may make you re-think the leading edge. I've built it and it works. The only drawback is that it leaves the LE tube exposed and susceptible to abrasion. Note that the "v" in this design is quite shallow, and this in combination with the change in the angles of the sides of the sail give the kite more than 300 square inches more sail area. The dashed line shows the approximate size and shape of a Rev 1.5 for comparison.

H2 Extreme v7.png

The only change from this design that I made was to make the air spaces shorter near the middle and progressively longer toward the tips. Less pressure near the tips should add a bit of stability overall. 

Post pictures when you are done.

• Like 1

I opted for no sleeve to reduce weight. Weighing in at less than 4.5 ounces, including diamond frame, and with about 350 square inches more sail area should make it a light wind demon. However at this point, I realized that I oriented the fabric weave in the wrong direction and will have to make major alterations before the sail sits right on the frame without too much flop in the belly. It will probably be a winter project since I'm too busy flying during the warm months.

Looks great, but I prefer my bananas with chocolate on them. :D Should be awesome in light wind, especially if you skip the chocolate.

You may find that the leading edge of the sail flutters at higher speeds. If so, you can slip a very small diameter carbon rod into the seam to eliminate the flutter, or sew a stiffer material strip along it. See the photo I posted, the LE is attached to the front and back on this design for that purpose. I am also making a second kite where it only attaches to the front.

Well, there's no chocolate sauce but the bunjis, end caps and bridle are now on the banana quad line.  Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, it will have its inaugural flight.  If it flies, there will be photos.  If it doesn't, it's back to the drawing board.

Wish me luck.

• Like 2

Yes.  It's a feeling I never get tired of.  Worth all of the angst of building.

The reason for the bananas will become clear at the Carolina Kite Festival.  I can guarantee there will be pictures.

Now, on to practice, practice and more practice.