KiteLife Forum

Lack of quad lines available in the UK.

JWharton

Hopefullly quad heads in the UK can enlighten me to where you buy your kites.

I know there are two online shops, they sell a small selection of revs. But I mean say I wanted to browse the Freilein range or buy a Pheonix Pro for instance where do you go?

When I look at the range in some of the American kite shops, I am jealous they just about have everything you could ever want.

Anyway hopefully I can get some enlightenment

Sent from my SM-T210 using KiteLife mobile app

The Phoenix line is a direct buy from Bazzer. You might try his Glued to the Blue website and contact him through there. Or if you are also on FB, use his page - Kites and Designs by Bazzer. Or contact his wife Jane (Scout) here by PM about them.

Not sure how big the Freilein distribution network is yet. I think you can look at them on Andy's Ocean Shore Kites website. He has been giving them input on what to change/add/modify to make the kites more acceptable to us users.

As far as I know, neither has a regular presence in the UK - yet.

• Like 1

Like I said - the Phoenix has really just emerged and hasn't a real distribution network set up. Still too early. Best way to see them is on the FB page I gave you. Not even sure they are up on the Glued to the Blue page yet.

The Freileins are from China with heavy influence from an American store owner in Washington State. He's been influencing design and build features to better compete with the Revolution factory products. Again not sure if they are up on the store's website yet, but he's carrying them, along with a few others. Just not sure how big their network is yet.

Maybe in time, one or both will be available in the UK or at least over there somewhere! Till then ??

I've seen a few of the windrider on ebay, being fairly new to quad sports kites (I have spent many years flying power kites mainly blades, and different dualies and some single line kites) they have reignited my passion for kites. I know with the 25 year patent running out on the revs, there must be quite a few manufacturers out there I'm just not that clued up yet!

Would just be nice to have a larger selection in the uk, this is all for future use, as I can see a new collection of quads on the horizon sssshhhhh Don't tell my wife!

Stay away from the Windrider! New lines are Exodus and Vertigo. Windrider was trying to compete directly and considered a "knock off" at the time. Construction was shoddy, QC non-existent. Bridles were a mess.

Andy has put some QC requirements on Freilein to handle their stuff. The old kites? Still best practice is to buy from someone you can trust, contact, etc!

Just pointing out that some of the older sails were really almost direct Rev copies, but little to no QC with them. People bought them and complained about quads in general. That hurt Rev's business. As word got out about them, people started to understand the differences. Still, people bought them because they were cheap - and cheaply made! Lines were terrible, uneven and poor quality. Better to not get into that past! Rev has established the standard for good quads, where it goes from here - Sky's the limit!

I agree it's a good looking kite. It does use new materials that haven't been vetted in the kiting community.. Durability of the sail itself is still an unknown..

Aye, I've seen some diffusion of the color in the sail material where the two major folds are when the kite is stored - these are young kites too, wouldn't expect to see that - Unknown at this time if that break up of color is indicative of material break down as well - time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Aye, I've seen some diffusion of the color in the sail material where the two major folds are when the kite is stored - these are young kites too, wouldn't expect to see that - Unknown at this time if that break up of color is indicative of material break down as well - time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Stay away from the Windrider! New lines are Exodus and Vertigo. Windrider was trying to compete directly and considered a "knock off" at the time. Construction was shoddy, QC non-existent. Bridles were a mess.

Andy has put some QC requirements on Freilein to handle their stuff. The old kites? Still best practice is to buy from someone you can trust, contact, etc!

JB is that with both types, the exodus and the slighty more pricey vertigo?

I can answer that. The feedback on the Fabric is on the Entry Level Kite which is the Vertigo..

The Exodus which is more expensive is stated to be the more familiar Icarex.

Entry Level Kite (read lower priced) Vertigo series is crafted with 1/3 oz. polyester sail.

Higher Priced Kite is the Exodus series and is crafted with 1/2 oz. polycarbonate/icarex sail.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JWharton said:

Riffclown I was just wondering if the break up of colour was in both types of sail,

Understood and I haven't seen an Exodus. I was just attempting to correct  and clarify that the Exodus is the higher priced one.

The materials used in it are the far more familiar fabrics to the kiting community and Wayne said above, Icarex is used in many brands and  "should" be good.

• Like 1

Must apologise, my reply looked a bit abrupt, believe me I have the upmost respect for people I aspire to, I when I see videos of you guys flying it inspires me to get out there,

I just like lots of information about stuff I love, boring stuff just sort of goes in one ear and out the other..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

Higher Priced Kite is the Exodus series and is crafted with 1/2 oz. polycarbonate/icarex sail.

Aye, but "Icarex" is kind of like Kleenex these days - it's become a ubiquitous term, but there is one true Icarex (brand).

What Freilein actually uses remains to be seen / proven.

• Like 2