KiteLife Forum

KARMA Prism Red 4D (10-3-16)

Mike Klaiber

The next Karma drawing is from @Mike Klaiber, up for grabs is a Red Prism 4D Ultralight Dual Line Stunt Kite. 

This kite is only slightly used with maybe 20 total minutes of flight time.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

Example in flight:

The RNG will select the winner on October 3rd at 5 PM EST.

Enter with "I'm in" in a reply below, per the usual procedure.
Good luck everyone!

==

Standard Karma Note from the Moderators

This is a Karma Drawing. The winner of the drawing is expected to pay it forward by offering their own prize for the next drawing. Please do not enter unless you are willing to offer your own prize, preferably not the prize you just won. Drawings should be open for entry approximately 2 weeks, and the next drawing should be posted as soon as possible to keep the Karma rolling.

These drawings are run by and for KiteLife forum members and DO NOT require a paid subscription to enter. The moderating team only ensures that your drawing post contains all of the pertinent information (drawing date/time, adequate prize description, drawing rules) before approval.

If you are a KiteLife forum member from the US or Canada, you are eligible to enter. You do not have to be a paid subscriber. Members from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii are welcome to enter the Karma drawings provided they are willing to pay half of the Karma prize shipping cost.

The method and timing of the payment will be agreed upon between the two parties after the drawing for a particular prize.

Here is the link to the original Rules and Guidelines thread: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5426-rules-and-guidelines-please-read/

The mechanism for the drawing itself is entirely at the discretion of the person offering the prize. In the past, entry number has been determined either by order of entry or by the post number in which the member declares entry into the drawing. The drawings have been performed using the RNG method (http://www.random.org/sequences/) or by choosing the numbers out of a hat (I believe an adorable daughter did the picking in that scenario). The only requirement is that the method of selection is clearly spelled out in the drawing post.

Entry into the drawings is done by STARTING a post in the drawing thread with the entry phrase chosen by the drawing host (Traditionally "I'm in", but "I LIKE" has been used as well). In order to remove any confusion or misinterpretation, only entries with posts that START with the phrase will be considered. As with all other KiteLife drawings, bantering is encouraged. This is for fun after all.

• Like 3

I'm thinking of the above "Prism 4D Superlight" video. In the beginning it says 0-2mph. I can find no zero wind sequences in this video. The kite is always on the same side of the camera (hm... am I looking for "evidence" in the same way as e.g. a lunar landing denier: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4536 (debunking!))". During zero wind you need to work to keep the 4D in the air, the kite will/can be in all directions around you and you typically land and start several times. True is that this kite requires very little wind to fly "in a normal" way (and can function well enough with short lines so that you can fly in very small fields).

I was out on a new field during the weekend a week ago with my 4D. The forecast said 1m/s (2.2mph), but by releasing seeds from dandelions (a tiny tiny bit humid though) I estimated the top speed to 0.3m/s (0.7mph). Sometimes the seeds just fell plain downwards (zero wind), which is rare outdoors. Since there were quite much people in this small park I hesitated to start at all, based on the limited success I had when the kite was new (about 1year+) with zero wind flying then. Would my say 10 times I've used it (during mostly non-zero wind conditions) have paid off? I'd say that I was able to leave the park without feeling humiliated, but the in air tricks were not more than axles (more thoughts related to this session (and others) will be found in my next flight log dump in "Exults Chunky Log..." (Yes, this is shameless promotion!)).

However for me low wind and gentle inputs are a good exercise to become a more complete dual line kiter. Talking of exercise this session meant more healthy physical exercise compared to more normal wind kiting. For my contribution to the mandatory kite drawing drooling I refer to the image in the end of: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7260-karma-prism-4d-w-color-choice-8-12-16/?do=findComment&comment=58831 .
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
The above was all I originally intended to write in this post, but if you are slow enough to do the actual posting the reality catches up. Yesterday there was an unexpected low wind session since the forecast told me something different. In the bottom of my kite bag was the "hidden" 4D that I had missed removing when removing the Shadow when preparing for the session. To this point I've almost only used it as an emergency kite and has not used it much when the conditions were good/normal. I used the (long some would say) original about 17m lines that came with the kite. Much to my surprise yesterday it was possible to transfer fade launches and lazies (several, but with recovery by help from the ground) from other kites. It was also possible to to (in my own opinion) nice and reasonably flat axles. These axels were most easily accessible after a downwards turn at the edge of the wind window allowing the kite to sink back lowering it's nose. Having that as a start position the following axel looked goood.

After a few sessions, the HQ Shadow (that I got in the beginning of the summer) started to feel like a "real" kite, while I thought the 4D was more only a low wind thing that was probably good for increasing these aspects of your abilities. Now, especially after yesterdays session, I now see the 4D as a "proper" kite as well.

• Like 1

So would it be considered bad if I asked to be removed from this? I think I may be getting one as a gift and I just want someone to get it that doesn't have one. Not sure if I am for sure getting one but I'm pretty sure

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I don't believe so, nice move on your behalf. Fingers crossed you receive one soon!

• Like 2

Drawing at 5 pm today.
So far these are the entries I have:@materdaddy@makatakam@zachprism01@riffclown@daougie@paramedic@szobelda
@robbier
@exult and @waynedowler - just commented correct? No "I'm In" noted.

Anyone else? Not to late to enter!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Klaiber said:
Drawing at 5 pm today.
So far these are the entries I have:@materdaddy@makatakam@zachprism01@riffclown@daougie@paramedic@szobelda
@robbier
@exult and@waynedowler - just commented correct? No "I'm In" noted.

Anyone else? Not to late to enter!

Adding @Robbie R and @Wayne Dowler back to conversation. Sorry but did not realize space was critical.

• bbailey49 unpinned and locked this topic