KiteLife Forum

Rev Part Identification

DrZettl

So my B-series Rev was delivered today. Beautiful kite.

But when I was assembling it (at work, couldn't wait) a little black disc popped out of somewhere. I think it might have been the vertical spar end caps, but I'm not sure.

It looks like:

?ui=2&ik=24b6103803&view=fimg&th=1574e5fd8c2e30c1&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=ii_itdch1wu1_1574e5f5c57fa81f&attbid=ANGjdJ_8DGhkFQexTLGXtxmmBMvCwJpQ88NuZCljADvDfiTvvvpSmuxdo_SqvU_y8vDLGRRHg1oGAKnlP_DCD-mevqQgUzljef-VEhfyQNrftvgGapIO2Dao0aNwaT0&sz=w952-h772&ats=1474497975982&rm=1574e5fd8c2e30c1&zw&atsh=1

Anyone have an idea of what it is?

Will

your picture is not attached correctly but that disks most of the times are from bungees knots to protect the holes throw sail at the attaching points with end caps.May be from leading edge or one of the spars. Check all ending caps and for sure one on bungee knots miss that black ring. If is not missing that means from packaging you have an extra 

After examining the kite more fully, I am thinking it might just be the plastic disc from the cutout of the top spar holder. It seems to fit precisely, so it probably just wasn't removed properly during assembly.

Thanks for the reply.

Image attached properly:

rubber-cap.png

Yes, that's the punchout from the vinyl cap that covers the endcap at the top of each upright. Probably fell on the kite without being noticed and got rolled up and shipped with it. It's trash, unless you invent a use for it.

But we don't want to see pictures of your trash, we want to see pictures of the kite you got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

But we don't want to see pictures of your trash, we want to see pictures of the kite you got.

Ask, and ye shall receive. This is soon after I got it, and set it up to awe everyone. Most people were awed, some were not. Even though I've seen revs up close, I never truly appreciated how huge they really are. And I thought my Quantum was a big kite.

rev-unpacked.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Looks great! And it's red, white and black. Those are the colors of my set too. 

I had originally ordered the lime/black/white combo, but the guy from the store contacted me and said that he had miscounted stock of that colour and I could have a a few others or a refund. I opted for the one I got, and frankly, I think I prefer it to the lime combo.

Finally managed to get the new Rev out for it's maiden flight (there was a no-wind-blowing attempt a few days ago) over the weekend. Simply amazing but what a learning cliff this kite is.

I managed to do a bunch of beginner stuff with only minimal crashing. A guy flying a gigantic sled kite gave me some excellent pointers, and that made all the difference too.

I can't wait to get out there again.

revfield.jpg

• Like 3

Just remember starting out - If the kite is going to crash no matter what - LET IT! Learn to "Give to the Kite!". Pulling just drives the kite harder into the ground! Better to go set it back up, then to go down to find a broken kite on the end of the lines! Step forward, throw your hands forward, even throw the handles at it (extreme case), but learn to give it slack in a crash! 

Your kite will thank you!!

• Like 1

I'm glad you're having fun and learning to fly the Rev. It can do soooo much once you get the hang of it. It'll put a grin on your face that can become semi-permanent. Just think of flying and there it is!

I have never heard of the learning curve described as a learning "cliff" but I find it to be quite applicable and descriptive of the process. Once you step over the edge of basic control you move towards the bottom of the incline quickly. However, you soon realize that the cliff has no end. That's what makes it so much fun as well as so much of a challenge.

And the addiction grows proportionately.

3 minutes ago, makatakam said:

I have never heard of the learning curve described as a learning "cliff"

Maybe 'cliff' is a bit too extreme a term. But initially the amount of control and over-control you have compared to a dual line is overwhelming.

The guy that helped me out advised be to sort of dangle the handles on my index fingers (as opposed to gripping the handles -- he then ranted for a while about why rev even puts foam on the handles), and just let the wind take the kite and adjust it to go where you need. I found that really made the kite far easier to control. Soon I was flying side to side, rising/falling, forward/reverse with no major issues.

There's always that momentary "What inputs do I use to correct this thing I have done" that I have a limited frame of reference for vs. a dual line.

All fun. And yes, it definitely puts a huge smile on your face. Stopping and reversing mid-flight never ceases to amuse me. It's always so unexpected. 

• Like 1

If you find the kite just "shooting off out of control", try lowering your hands a bit. Some people don't like their leaders rubbing on their fingers, others do. Do you have knotted leaders? If so, try moving your hands down a bit and if needed, pull the top lines in a knot. That should be about an equal adjustment. By putting your hands all the way to the top, you've pretty much locked the kite into full drive mode, unless you moderate it with the amount of tilt you use.

That said - hands are moving up and down all the time, they are not in quick dry cement! Small adjustments are almost always needed during any kite flight!

No, it's not really shooting out of control at all, nor does it feel locked into forward drive.

I have the stock B-Series knotted leaders. I have the top set to the 3rd knot in, and the bottoms on the last knot (has 2).
I think my hand position is generally relaxed. I'll be playing around with the knots/hand-position the more I fly.

Next time I see Terry or one of the Island Quad guys, I'll get them to check out my setup too. 

Good to have Terry look, or Mario! It's really a personal thing - the setup on your handles. Some use longer, some shorter. Some use lots of brake, others none. The leaders provided by Rev were a compromise between their no adjustments philosophy and John's attempt to give you even more knots to work with! John's leaders run 10-11" long with 7-8 knots! Those stock leaders were about 6-7"? with 4-5 knots? So as you can see, there are lots of variables in how you setup handles! Again - none wrong, just how you like it to work!

3 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Those stock leaders were about 6-7"? with 4-5 knots?

Yeah, that's about right. 5-6 knots on top, 2 on the bottom.

They seemed a little crappy to be honest. I had to adjust two of the knots since they weren't equal out of the box.

It is best to have long top leaders because you can always come in as many knots as you want. You can't go out any knots if they aren't there. You won't know the difference until you try it. You won't like the difference at first, but if you gradually move the tops further out each time you fly you will not only get used to it, you may even like it. The "full brake" adjustment is quite handy in many situations, and having it in your bag of tricks can be useful. Diversity will make you a better pilot.

1 hour ago, Daougie said:

I'm at the top of the learning cliff and looking down, just like you. I see from the picture you posted that you fly at Clover Point. I fly there Tuesday and Thursday nights (5:15 to hunger) When do you fly?

I am indeed at flying at Clover Pt.

I fly whenever I can get time and there's wind. But therein lies the challenge. Generally I try to get out on a weekend at minimum, but never any set time. If I head out Tuesday or Thursday, I'll keep an eye out for you.

• Like 1