KiteLife Forum

wet = how heavy?

ACrop

Rain, rain go away but leave the breeze for today...

So it wasn't the rain that sent me to roll up my lines today, it was the massive roll of thunder that announced the predicted change from grey and gusty to thunderstorms that was the nudge I needed.  However, before I gave in I found myself contemplating "if the sail gets wet, it must get heavier.  I wonder how much the wind range is impacted by the sail being wet?"  Anyone got advice on how many more mph of windspeed is needed to keep a sail up when it goes from dry to wet?  Just curious, the wind I get is frequently light enough that I am struggling to stay aloft - making skill building hard.  Wondering if staying out in the (non-thunderstorm) showers is worth trying out or if borderline wind + wet wieght= no flight for me.

Also, is there a secret "bring on the wind but not the rain/thunder" ritual or dance that I can learn?  Don't get me wrong, I ain't complaining - I got a full 10 minutes with my full vent sail the other day before switching back to the standard.  Not bad for an inland field round here.

Thunder and lightning are nothing to play with - best to call it a day if that is in the sky! 

Weight when wet? Really depends on winds more than anything. If you were struggling to fly before the rain, then certainly a heavier sail will be really hard to fly. May have to use a different sail (going from vented to standard).

Just be aware of this though - a wet sail may stretch more than a dry sail. Will it return to original shape? - depends on the fabric used. Sprinkles usually aren't too difficult, it's the full on rain that gets tiring. YMMV

• Like 2

Only flown Revs in the rain.
I come in one knot on my brakes for light showers, 2 for medium. So long as the wind is there, there really isn't much difference. Apart from getting wet. Check that your bridle won't bleed colour onto your sail when packing up.

My wet weather mantra:
Put on layers, stop when skin gets wet...

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I usually "drop down" a sail or sometimes two when flying in tough/wet conditions.  Going from a Full sail to an SUL to a Zen to just plain going home.  I will fly in tough conditions but generally don't set-up at all if it's a steady downpour.  If the weather changes whilst I'm there, then I usually stay.

When possible always fly a polyester sail in wet conditions, so at least the fabric doesn't absorb water weight.  Lam Hoac used to intentionally wet down a nylon sail in high winds to slow it down, he also ran bridle line thru the inside of the leading edge to pre-tension and add curvature to the leading edge too (back before they were constructed that way)

50# lines will stick together thru water adhesion in high moisture environments, particularly in low wind conditions where the sail isn't powerful enough to snap 'em apart once flight is achieved.

My preferred setups:

std - bl race, mid - bl race, f/v - 3 wrap, x/v - gr race, sul - diamonds. These pretty much stay this way, as I like this as my solo setup.

Will use a 3 wrap in the std and mid if team does too. We like having matched gear so everyone pretty much responds the same.

Well, the weather app says 18-21 mph winds this afternoon....which is rare rare rare here...but so is the the 3" of rain expected today.  The "costco sized" hummus tub that I use as a rain gauge is full out on the porch railing.  So no flying right now.  It has been steady and constant today, yucky day for flying but good for putting the little one down for a nap.   :)