KiteLife Forum

Thursday night flight

Daougie

I went for my usual Thursday after work flight. Wind was at the upper limits for my non vented Rev 1.5 but I was still able to work on my basic skills. Wind eventually got a little too strong so I switched to a two line kite. Dr.Zenttl, like myself a quad newcomer showed up as the wind was easing off a bit. I but away the two line kite and set up my Rev and we compared our skill level. We also tried each others kites. The Dr. has a non vented B series..Both kites fly well but have a slightly different fèel. I think my 1.5 is]a little dartyer than the B series. The B series flys smoother and iseasier to fly backwards. To to the evening office we got to see a gorgeous sunset.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Hey, it was a pleasure meeting you and trying out your Rev.

I still think the lack of a proper set of adjustable leaders makes your Rev feel super brake heavy. Mine felt like a rocket in comparison, and I'm probably going to adjust them for a slightly more brake heavy setting.

After flying your rev, I finally managed to get that left facing hover on mine. Though it still shot off into space when I tried to flip from right to left.

• Like 1

Lack of proper leaders made it feel "brake heavy"? How so? The stock 1.5 leaders have no adjustments (just a single knot at the end of the leader), the "B" has at least a couple. From the comment above, the "B" - "felt like a rocket" and the other "super brake heavy"? Not making sense to me! What exactly does Daougie have? Confused here!

The term "brake" is the differential between the top and bottom line hookup points. That is why leader sets have a long top leader and a short bottom leader. The difference in the line attachments on the leaders represents the amount of "brake". The bigger the difference - the more "brake". Most of us that use more brake are at 5-8" of difference between the two attachment points. 

That is why I am confused by the above statement. An SLE or EXP has NO difference in the leaders and a "B" does, with a couple knots. By adjusting knots, the "B" should be the one that feels brake heavy. Unless you have the leaders upside down/reversed?

Will be at a festival this weekend, so may not see any answers or return any comments til Monday, unless I get wifi and can use my laptop.

• Like 1

I think he meant that a lack of long leaders on his kite made the other feel brake heavy, Wayne. At least that's the meaning I got from the statement. Anywho, what what Wayne said is correct.

The knot settings (differential) that you use will give the kite different characteristics in flight, will make one feel sluggish or speedy in comparison to the other. The only way to compare the two is to have them on exactly the same length of lines, handles and leader setup. I mean identical! Even one knot can make a very noticeable difference, and changes in the wind itself will compound that difference. However, that's what determines your own style and preferences. For team or pair flying the settings and equipment should be as close to the same as possible. For instance, the brake-heavy kite will not keep up with the other one because its top speed is reduced by that setting. 

It's a learning process that lasts a lifetime. Have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

By the posts - Dr Zettl has a "B" and I believe he made the comment of him feeling that the other kite was "super brake heavy" and his felt like a rocket. Now that in my mind is backwards! With the adjustments on the "B"  leaders - that shouldn't be. If anything, it should be the other way round! 

Let me clarify:

I have a B with stock leaders with 6 knots on top, 2 on the bottom. I currently have my top knot set to the 3rd in, and the bottom full out. On this setting, my kite feels like it accelerates very quickly and I don't have to work much to get it to move forward.

Daougie has an SLE with stock no-knot leaders. His kite felt like i had to work to keep it moving forward.

I found it much easier to kept some hovers going on the SLE, but mostly because it wasn't launching when I tried to stop it. And I just need more practice, and a knot change. I also have a set of John's leader in the mail.

Interesting, mine is a standard 1.5 with stock handles and leaders. I thought it was quicker than Dr.Zenttls B series and a little less stable. I think our comparisons mybe askew as we were both being very tentative flying the others kite. I will be changing the leaders on mine soon. Could anyone tell me what other differences their are between the B series and the 1.5?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Try moving it out farther for more control - less speed. You may have to add a step back into your launch routine, but the extra control, once flying is well worth it! John's leaders are even longer!! Try out farther as it helps "square up" the sail to the wind, making it more efficient. Think having a ball in the center of the sail. As you move around, try to think about not dropping it!

Differences? Slightly different profile, more bow to the LE, deeper sail at the "V", panel layout designed for controlled stretch, etc. Sometime lay one over the other to compare. Not huge differences, but refinements to the design!

• Like 1

As always - it's what works for you. A good test of top leader's adjustment - put on the farthest out knot - try launching - if too hard or not at all - move in a knot - try again. Keep repeating til launch is doable. Should take a little effort, but the "in air" performance should be much better!

• Like 1

That first video -- don't be fooled by it. It may be his first flight with a Rev, or maybe that particular Rev, but he's definitely no stranger to quad-line kites. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, flies a Rev backwards and sideways across the window moments after the first time they ever launched the kite. I sincerely hope you guys don't judge your progress by what you see in that video. It takes at least 20 hours solid flight time to start getting near that level, sometimes more, except for super-talented "naturals" like me. Just kidding. Took me about 100 hours of trying to learn on my own to get to that level. If you are close to that already -- well deserved kudos to you.

As Wayne mentioned, especially on JB leaders, start at the farthest knot out and start bringing it in until you can launch. However, with additional time under your belt, start going out towards that far knot for additional control and more ease of holding the inverted hover. It will also help relieve much of the discomfort in your wrists and forearms when you've been flying for several hours. More stamina for extended fun time at fests and such. When you want additional lift and/or speed from your kite, learn to move your body rather than your arms for the same reason.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Oh, I wasn't under the impression that was his first flight at all.

I just love his videos. I find them well put together and inspiring. And I'm judging my quad progress only against myself and what I skills I set out for myself to do. And backwards isn't so hard :)

Actually, the pilot is @Flynhi

Edited by DrZettl
added pilot name

18 hours ago, DrZettl said:

@Daougie This was the Michael Green Rev guy on youtube I mentioned to you last night.

I recognize the Kite on the ground in the Video Still and 18 seconds in.. It's gone by several names bust most commonly called the Tomahawk. I have one in my bag that was given to me.. The kite is decent.. The lines were stretchy and were literally useless. It's a decent performer on good lines/handles..