KiteLife Forum

Washington Monument on the fly.

FranckPG

I have an unexpected day off on Tuesday Oct 4 and the winds look like they may be in my favor for once so I'm heading down to the Washington Monument in the early morning to try and get some time on the lines.

Need a break from that meeting?

You on vacation and tired of the tourist bit?

Stop by the old dead tree next to the monument and do a little flying or just say hey.

Here's to hoping the wind cooperates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question ACrop. I work late nights so I should clarify that early morning to me is 9-10 AM. LOL. I plan on being there around that time unless the winds are low. If it looks like the winds will pick up later in the day I may delay to afternoon. I'll make that call as I wake up. I will post as soon as I get up. I'm still new at this so I'm really bad with low winds and would hate to head down there and not be able to practice.

I am also a quad newbie and struggle w wind below 5-6mph. I would love to fly on the mall, and it looks like the wind will pick up around noon. I would be interested in packing a lunch and flying for a while. The earliest I could do would be around 10:30 and the latest I could stay would be 2:30ish. Anything within that window might work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

Just do it!

The way you get good at low-wind flying is doing it. You will learn absolutely nothing about it if you don't do it, and you will inhibit your learning curve. Don't let your learning curve flatline. Accept low wind as a minor challenge.

Too little wind to fly at all? Equalize your lines. Talk shop. Try 360's on short lines. Adjust your bungees for proper sail tension. Clean off your endcaps. Check your bridle to make sure all its legs are equally symmetrical. Inspect the sail overall and the leading edge for fraying, signs of wear and loose threads and singe where necessary. Modify your frame for flying in sand with o-rings or painters' tape. 

It is better to do these things when the wind is not blowing, as opposed to doing them because you have to when it is blowing and you would rather fly. Just saying. . . . . . . there have been times when I wanted to fly but couldn't because I neglected maintenance and something failed or was out of adjustment.

• Like 2

Light wind flying is a bit of work, but getting good at it feels sooo good! Flying while others are sitting, gives a sense of satisfaction, some will never get! But it isn't easy! Takes time, learning to feel the sail through the lines, and most of all - learning to move! No flying with feet in cement here! You have to learn to give and take and when! 

Sometimes short lines work, sometimes lighter lines. Sometimes both! It all depends on you wanting it or not! (apologies PLM, couldn't resist) Try putting in the lightest frame set you have and go for it! Results - not guaranteed! But putting in the effort and trying again and again, pay off in the long run!

You may eventually develop a liking, even a preference, for low-wind flying. At that point, shorter, lighter lines and an SUL sail and frame will become one of your mainstays. I truly enjoy flying my home-made sails, or my purchased one-piece sails which I have modified to be even lighter, while sitting on my ass while others are just plain grounded. Immense satisfaction in addition to being able to fly while others are working up a sweat just trying to keep their kites airborne.

It's like catching fish and having other fishermen crowd in on where you are fishing and moving to where they came from and catching fish there while they are still catching nothing.

If you know the small differences that can make what you want to do happen, then you can make it happen when others can't, and it is soooooooo satisfying. How do you acquire this slight edge that makes it possible? Like JB said, "I have failed at it 100 more times than most people have tried it". Try it often -- you might begin to like it.

• Like 4

I have been doing a good bit of low wind time, and it is still frustrating but I am not giving up. Even when I get wind it is often so variable on direction and speed that it is challenging. I am currently working on recovering ground after a walk backwards and gaining altitude with as little walking back as possible, and trying not to loose altitude when turning back to center out at the edge.

Which frame is lighter the GT race or a 2 wrap? I have been trying low wind with 90# 30' or 80' lines on a standard B with a GT race frame. I don't have 50# lines yet, was thinking about making some but the
places that I most frequently fly are often not well mowed and I sometimes catch on the grass. I am worried that yanking a line caught well on hearty field clover could damage it??

I don't mind plugging away at light wind in private, but I think out on the national mall I would rather have some wind the first time.

The race and 2 wrap are pretty close in weight. Hear you on the 50# lines about snags, but if you do get to fly over better fields, the lighter lines do help. Might make some 30' and/or 50' x 50# to try at times!

Solo, I use 30', 50', 85' and 120' x 50#, team, we use 85' 

Makatakan, good point. Although I have spent much time trying in low winds, Any practice is better than none at all.
I'll be there regardless and if winds don't show I'll do some maintenance as you mentioned.

"Which is lighter a GT Race or 2 wrap?"

In my street kite I have a race centre with the others being 2 wrap. Don't be shy about mixing it up.

However, I would choose the race frame over the 2 as I feel it loads and unloads much better for low wind.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I am coming from outside beltway probably all the way by car then bike from my parking spot-on where ever that ends up being. Was going to aim to get to monument area around noon. Lunch and kites are packed. Wind is pretty good here at home, the kind of gusty that gives me hope for what I will find in other places.

the referenced "WoW tree" looks like a huge hand sticking up out of the ground, ....five or six trunks wired together and cut back multiple times.  It is a mulberry tree so watch where you drop your stuff or set-up your lawn-chair too <LOL>.  Located on the West side on the monument.  Bathroom? behind the domed stage, if you were walking towards the Smithsonian Castle.  Paddle Boat parking lot (Jefferson's Memorial) is where we park, but Sundays are not on a time limit.  Read the signage before leaving your vehicle, if you find a spot there!

Do NOT land your kites on the flags (flagstaff ball surrounding the monument ~ Great target ~ big "no-NO") or chase spectators on the sidewalks, no banner pole ground pegs can be placed into the ground or fighter kiting flying on Manja, be friendly with security & the park rangers, they like us!

Try not to practice in the wind shadows of the tree or the monument,... that's all swirly crap, even pushing down from above

Enjoy and don't give up.  I used to live in Chicago (Hoffman Estates) and then Ft Lauderdale,... upon moving to DC none of my kites would even fly!  I had to watch and learn, practice myself and acquire new equipment,.... finally no wind is my preferred set of conditions. I secretly PRAY for no wind at festivals and most certainly make small mammal sacrifices at a competition to insure it's dead calm, only then I can beat Smitty <LOL>

Yeah it was fun. The wind was good, changing directions a bit but good. Tourists are pretty clueless. While the site is awesome for flying it is also just the right distance for selfies w the monument apparently. Had severalty to people walk past me and literally sit down in the grass in the "high crash risk zone" and do extensive selfy sessions. Changed from 120' lines to 80 just to give myself myore room to maneuver clear of the current selfy crowd. Was wishing I was good enough to photo bomb them without worrying that a gust would make me scare them on accident. . Thanks for taking photos Frank.