KiteLife Forum

Side Sliding into Kite Season 2016-17...

RobB

It's been a while. A long summer with next to no dual line flying, really, the last good session was April or maybe May. I spent the time on the beach trying to get back some of the timing that I had lost. Rough going, but when the going gets rough, I return back to probably my favorite 'trick'... the Side Slide ! 

Full screen & HD. It's hard to see in the little box...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Happyspoon said:

Beautiful flying! And as always great music. Those low to the ground slides are so impressive

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Thanks, I'm still working on it. Next time out, I hope will find my timing for the rest of the tricks. 

One thing I noticed with doing so many slides was that either the leading hand or trailing hand could control the slide, with equally good results.

Hi Rob,

Your ability to do side slides has always impressed me.  I still keep on trying and failing.

One thing I noticed is how much you are walking towards the kite.

What was the wind speed in the vid?

Jon

P.S.  Was in NY a couple of weeks ago on holiday.  Only thought of you when I got back home!

18 hours ago, RobB said:

It's been a while. A long summer with next to no dual line flying, really, the last good session was April or maybe May. I spent the time on the beach trying to get back some of the timing that I had lost.

Very nice flying indeed - sure you had a summer long kite break? The figure flying was really evident/convincing/clear! How long lines did you use here?

17 hours ago, Happyspoon said:

And as always great music.

Or perhaps Paul Simons "Slip sliding away" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7PBjKzaQEw

7 hours ago, RobB said:

One thing I noticed with doing so many slides was that either the leading hand or trailing hand could control the slide, with equally good results.

Both with and against the wind (as at 1:32) the side slide could be controlled with the leading or trailing edge?

As I recognize that going to a wing tip stand from the launch position can take a few attempts (as in 3:53) I consider to see if it is possible to go a wing tip stand from ground via an axel instead. The rest of your tricking - just inspirational!

5 hours ago, jaydub200 said:

Hi Rob,

Your ability to do side slides has always impressed me.  I still keep on trying and failing.

One thing I noticed is how much you are walking towards the kite.

What was the wind speed in the vid?

Jon

P.S.  Was in NY a couple of weeks ago on holiday.  Only thought of you when I got back home!

Thank you, Jon. Next time you're in NY & have time, I've always got kites in my car.

The winds were around 8mph, almost getting too high for me. I've been spoiled by flying Revs, they're much more relaxing !

4 hours ago, Exult said:

Very nice flying indeed - sure you had a summer long kite break? The figure flying was really evident/convincing/clear! How long lines did you use here?

Thanks, I am frustrated a little with my timing. I was behind the kite all day. The lines are 25m.

Both with and against the wind (as at 1:32) the side slide could be controlled with the leading or trailing edge?

That was a sloppy stall at 1:32 that happened to slide a little. I was trying to do that cartwheel landing thing, and didn't get the stall just right.

As I recognize that going to a wing tip stand from the launch position can take a few attempts (as in 3:53) I consider to see if it is possible to go a wing tip stand from ground via an axel instead. 

That's more of my hoppin' and poppin' thing. I try to get the kite to fly, but not quite. It helps me to get the feel of the kite, and the balance between flying and not flying.