KiteLife Forum

Local Connections

John Barresi

Hi all, just leaving this here to encourage everyone who'd like to find other fliers in their area - I've just added a "Local Connections" area to the forum where @kevmort was kind enough to start a topic for fliers to find each other in the UK.

http://kitelife.com/forum/forum/170-local-connections/

Jump in there to say hello if you're in the UK, or post back here and let me know if you'd like a topic for your own region!

"Region" is used loosely, can be either country lines or geographically interactive areas (which may include more than one state or country)... Examples might include:

• US - Southern California
  • US - Michigan Lakes

Or whatever, I just don't want to get into a separate topic for every single US state - include your suggested title and what areas it actually includes. ;)

Thanks - fly often, fly with others!

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Welcome to the forum, Flap Floblem. It's good to see people from the Island getting interested in kite flying. I'm not sure if we've communicated before, but I live in Suffolk on the North Shore. I haven't been out flying much this year, but I still grab a short session here & there. Where are you on the Island, and what are your flying hours ? Maybe we can meet up...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, RobB said:

Welcome to the forum, Flap Floblem. It's good to see people from the Island getting interested in kite flying. I'm not sure if we've communicated before, but I live in Suffolk on the North Shore. I haven't been out flying much this year, but I still grab a short session here & there. Where are you on the Island, and what are your flying hours ? Maybe we can meet up...

I'm just seeing this now...I have probably sent you a couple of comments, but didn't realize it.  Just getting use to this great site.  I am also in Suffolk county on the North shore, Huntington Station.  It's starting to get colder now so not sure when I will be kiting again.  I don't have set hours...I'm a newbie.  I just went to the local school yard and playgrounds around.  I was interested in making a paper messenger note to send up.  I have tried it a few times with no success.  I have made a circle of paper and cut it and taped it on.  I want to send it up to the heavens to say hello to my Mother and others who have passed away.

Crab Meadow in Northport would be a good beach for you to fly. A little further east is Sunken Meadow, also a decent spot to fly. This is the best time of year to fly, from Labor Day to Memorial Day, when no one goes to the beach. Also, the beach is the only place worth flying, flying inland is much more difficult, and mostly not worth it with beach flying never more than a few minutes away anywhere on the Island.

There are a number of ways to make messengers, the only one I have experience with is the parachuting bear. Really cool for the kids !

• 2 years later...