KiteLife Forum

High wind SLK

SparkieRob

Ok, I have been spending a lot of time in 30km/h (20mp/h) winds and actually said to myself "should I risk my delta,nah it's too windy for it".

So my question is;

What are, if any, suitable SLK's for winds that high?

I've seen a vented rokkaku but can't seem to find it again that may be commercially available but that has been it. Think it was a Jordan kite and Kent for KAPing in high winds. I know the Singapore kite club Wind Hunter has a "weave" rok that also looks capable.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I've seen weave deltas, but haven't flown any myself. I'm guessing that anything vented would decrease the amount of pressure in the sail. I've seen big deltas with wooden crossmembers get "folded" in strong wind. 

One thing you can do with the ones you have is to move the tow point towards the nose. Tie another attachment knot between the existing one(s) and the nose, or untie them all and tie on a Prusik loop after marking the original attachment point(s) on the bridle. Moving the tow point forward does two things. It decreases the angle of attack and adds stability in flight. Decreasing the angle of attack lets more air "slide" off of the sail. It's the same effect as flying your Rev with way too much go.

Increasing the amount of tail will also change the angle of attack, as the additional drag created will make the kite fly "flatter".

Another, less desirable option for most people, is to vent the kite. If you have an old beater or one you don't mind punching holes into. . . . . . go for it.

The Delta I have at the moment has a fixed tow point. A triangle of material that runs along the spine so I can't adjust that. I've loaded it up with tails, laundry but I don't want to push it past its limit.

My Rok could be adjusted BUT that would put a lot of stress on the kite. I don't want to cut vents in them.

As a desperate alternative, I'd get a 4 foot rok and tea-bag it. Just thought there might be commercial kites out there.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Believe it or not .... Wala and Wala XL :lol:

What most people don't realise is that if you use or have a movable tow point then you flare the tail out and let the kite skip on top of the wind instead of taking the full force.

Brassington kites are cleaver in that the 2 point bridle is actually a single point with the second point being a restrictor to prevent the tail going too far and having the nose dip into a dive. His trains are all like that and I have flown them in big wind in Cape Town.

Another option is a single point bridled Tri-D, or any single point kite for that matter.

I have also seen and used a locally made kite called a Sky Master that can take double (or more) what you're asking and be used as a lifter. It's crazy what it can do. It's a delta with a middle sled like section. Granted, winds of 60km/h are going to be hard on the fabric and the edges are going to thrash, but it will take it in it's stride.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A small to medium Conyne or Cody can be fun to fly in a strong wind.  A Cody is quite heavy with all the spars so it can be a challenge to get up, but then it pulls like a train.  If the wind drops, it usually falls backwards in a. straight line rather than looping or swooping.  Great fun, and exhilarating and challenging to fly.  A Conyne (French war kite) is less directionally stable but flourishes in strong winds.