KiteLife Forum

Correcting an over flying SLK

SparkieRob

Using laundry will change nothing. That only changes the "stake" location, so to speak. It only shortens the effective length of the flying line.

Additional drag will do the trick, as well as tipping the nose of the kite back by moving the bridle point lower. You can also change the attitude of the kite (angle of attack), by varying the tension of the trailing edge. Less tension will increase drag, just as using tails or drogues, but not as dramatically. However, decreasing the tension of the trailing edge will cause it to fray faster.

As everything involving aerodynamics, any change you make will be compromise. Improving performance of one characteristic will change that of another, and so on . . . . . You make changes as necessary, and settle for a compromise of what works best.

• Like 2

What kind of kite? Most Deltas have at least two points to attach the flying line. I've only had this problem with deltas & the DopeRo. The amount of bow you give a flat kite also has something to do with it, if applicable...

What kind of kite? Most Deltas have at least two points to attach the flying line. I've only had this problem with deltas & the DopeRo. The amount of bow you give a flat kite also has something to do with it, if applicable...

My 3 meter delta. It has a fixed tow point so AOA can't be changed. It flies incredibly verticle and have been playing around with different load points. Even with a 15 meter tube tail it flies at a very high angle. When I load the line in the first 10-15 meters from the kite it drops it back a bit. Just wanting to see what's what.

One of the good things of flying high is it tends to fly in very slight breezes.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Maybe punch a grommet an inch or two ahead of the tow point, in the keel. It might help to pull the nose down. Also, I've found Deltas to be some of the most finicky SLKs to fly. They are tough to get to that point where you can set them & forget them, Most need attention every few minutes. I like to fly mine with l-o-n-g tails. Flow-tails and Pyros are a different story, they seem to be well behaved & forgiving.

IMG_2909.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, makatakam said:

Another option would be adding weight to the bottom of the spine. A 3-meter delta should handle 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce easily.

Should be easy enough to try, using a bit of line laying around. Try using washers, larkshead them as a unit through the holes, then larks them to the spine. Add or subtract washers til happy with the results! On the plus side - it isn't permanent and can be abandoned if no good!

• Like 1

Wisdom from you all, hints that might never arrive in my thoughts, help sent to me like you've all read my mind.  And it seems like it's just when I need it.  I love the KiteLife.  Thanks, you all have "Know Eye Deer" how you've helped someone just out here in the sticks.  Well, maybe you do.  Best Wishes, SHBKF 

gallery_7709_404_5681.jpg

• Like 1

After thinking about this today, maybe a tow point behind the existing one is the answer. If the kite is overflying you, it might all ready be too nose-forward. If it were me, I would pop a grommet ahead and behind the existing tow point and experiment. It can't hurt, and you would then have 3 tow points for all different kinds of wind.

6 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

I would've thought that drag via a tube tail on the back of the kite is effectively the same as a tail weight.

They both have the same effect, but accomplish it different ways. Tails and drogues keep it from overflying by adding drag to pull the sail downwind. Tail weights change the angle of attack to a more nose back attitude. Both will reduce or eliminate overflying by not allowing to fly as nearly overhead.

Tails and drogues are much prettier, but in a crowded sky, think festival, the weight will keep you out of being part of the tangle.

• 4 weeks later...

To keep a delta or other kite from overflying, do one of the following:

• Attach the line on the delta's keel or kite's bridle closer to the tail! (Attaching closer to the nose tends to cause overflight and should be used only in higher winds where overflight is no problem.)

• Attach drag to the tail end of the kite. Drag can be anything that catches the wind— flat tails, tube tails, fuzzy tails, drogue, spinner, wind sock, etc. Attaching to the spine will steer the kite into the wind most efficiently. Attaching two identical tails to the kite wingtips is possible if perfectly balanced, but a fuzzy tail looped from one wingtip to the other maintains equal drag at all times (and uses half the sky of long tails— good for crowded fests).

Attaching weight or drag to the line (laundry) anywhere below the tow point does nothing to cure overflight and may actually encourage it by effectively shortening the tow line, lessening the distance the kite must fly to achieve its overfly angle! Do one of the methods mentioned above!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 09/12/2016 at 4:14 AM, makatakam said:

They both have the same effect, but accomplish it different ways. Tails and drogues keep it from overflying by adding drag to pull the sail downwind. Tail weights change the angle of attack to a more nose back attitude. Both will reduce or eliminate overflying by not allowing to fly as nearly overhead.

Tails and drogues are much prettier, but in a crowded sky, think festival, the weight will keep you out of being part of the tangle.

However, , where a weight will pull the back down towards the ground and the nose up, a tail will tend to pull the back downwind thus turning the nose down a little.  I have one kite that is bridled in such a way that it would "fly downwards" without a tail.  With the drag of a tail, all the angles change and it flies well.

• Like 1