KiteLife Forum

Another mostly successful day today

p23brian

Wind was a little lighter than yesterday but steadier.  I spent a couple of hours just flying the kite around the window and experimenting with the controls.  I did much better with 90 degree hovers and flying in reverse today.   I also figured out that one of my lines was nearly a foot longer than the other 3, so I got that sorted out so they're all the same length within about 1/4" now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, p23brian said:

Wind was a little lighter than yesterday but steadier.  I spent a couple of hours just flying the kite around the window and experimenting with the controls.  I did much better with 90 degree hovers and flying in reverse today.   I also figured out that one of my lines was nearly a foot longer than the other 3, so I got that sorted out so they're all the same length within about 1/4" now.

A foot off? Wow! Check the lengths again quickly the next time you set up. Can't think of how they could possibly be that far off, but then again, stranger things have happened. Ideally they should be identical, but 1/4" is within acceptable limits. 

Helpful hint: If you find your lines are unequal on the field and don't have time to equalize right at the moment, you can adjust by moving the long one(s) in on the leaders.

• Like 1

A foot off? Wow! Check the lengths again quickly the next time you set up. Can't think of how they could possibly be that far off, but then again, stranger things have happened. Ideally they should be identical, but 1/4" is within acceptable limits. 
Helpful hint: If you find your lines are unequal on the field and don't have time to equalize right at the moment, you can adjust by moving the long one(s) in on the leaders.

When I got home I checked them in the driveway. Hooked one end to a nail in the fence and stretched them out full length. They should be good to go. I could have stretched one getting it out of the bush yesterday but I don't think it could stretch that much. They seem to be made of spectra, dyneema or similar non-stretchy material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Most likely to be Spectra, but it would be worth checking if you aren't sure. Is there a kite shop in your area? They can tell you for sure. Looks like Piedmont Kites is out of business.

Unfortunately I don't think we have any kite shops in town. I suppose I could just check with Ocean Shore Kites where I bought the kite and lines. They list it as "compressed, coated high modulus fly line".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk