KiteLife Forum

Video help

kevmort

Well I have quick time on my pic and that will play it no problem as I've found out that iOS systems use mov files so I need file converter or editing software, doing some research apeman recommend using a Sony editing software for the camera so I tried to use it and it said it would take an hour to convert a 3 minute video ! But an hour later it was still going to take an hour so that went out the window lol

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

I've only edited videos on two occasions - more like trying it out (cutting, adding text... though the editor is more powerful than this). I had no prior experience and found it reasonably easy to learn enough to get some result (however I need a read up on video (container?) formats and codecs...). I used Openshot (old 1.4.0)  ( http://www.openshot.org/ ) on an old Linux distribution for the editing and VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html ) for converting it to MPEG4. The reason for this is that I don't have the H.264 codec installed on the system (libx264, libmp3lame missing error message), while VLC seems to have that sorted out by itself. The software repositories of my old distro didn't seem to have the required MPEG4 files, but I guess that I could get the corresponding deb-package ( https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=x264 ) instead. The editing itself in Openshot was not so tricky to figure out by trial and error. Openshot 2.2(current version) is also available for Windows and Mac as well and is free as in beer and speech.

If you intend to publish on Youtube it seems like the MPEG2 video codec would do. There is even an export to Youtube option (and other video sites as well) in Openshot.
Both Openshot and VLC can save in many different formats and bitrates and frames per second. So my question is if one could make a video small by making it short or lower the quality in a "controlled way" to become a few MB, could one upload it directly to KL? Would a GIF animation be a better choice when e.g. discussing a (part of a) trick?

15 hours ago, makatakam said:

VLC Player will handle files in .mov and .mkv format, and is freeware available at ninite.com. It will play the files, but it is only a player

Well my old VLC 2.0.8 can also save files using 14 different codecs (including MPEG4), so if it can open a file it might be able to convert it using the Media > Convert/Save > File > Add... (file). Then press the Convert/Save button. Write the destination file name and chose a profile (will set the codec i.a.). Press "Edit selected profile" icon for even more control, like bit- and frame-rates.

• Like 1

You need a powerful PC to edit video. Lots of hard drive space, too. I use Power Director, which is a pretty good tool for the $$$. The Adobe products are supposed to be the best, but they were hundreds of $$$ when you could buy them, I understand the they're all subscription based now. I am not a fan of renting software...
I believe the handbrake software will work to convert your files, I just use the software to squeeze my videos when they have to be less than 25megs... But you can save in any format.

I've used iMovie for pretty much everything I have online, basically because its simple and does what I need.

I've been working on that John well trying to work on that but I don't have a mac I have a pc so the films are loaded on to that then I need to get them into iMovie not so easy lol once I have done that I can edit them on my iPad or iPhone funny enough I've just upgraded my iPhone so it's got twice the storage as my iPad lol

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after a lot of faffing I got it edited, sadly I didn't get to fly that day but our 12 year old daughter did and I got to test out my new camera so all was good

Password to enter is " Kitelife " if you would like to watch

[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

I use Vegas Movie Studio. It's been a Sony product for years but I think they sold it off recently. Takes some time to learn but can do anything you can imagine. Price is reasonable, probably less than $100. Rendering edited video takes a while regardless of the software. The more powerful your computer the faster it will go.

I have looked at vegas and they do a vegas pro

The version I have is vegas movie studio platinum. Vegas pro is a lot more expensive and I've never run into a situation where I needed the additional features.

• 1 month later...

I'm using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.  It's a light version of Vegas.   It's ok, I'm still learning what it can do.   I have used Adobe Premiere Pro, it's awesome, but like Photoshop, there is a bit of a learning curve.   There is a free program called Lightworks that is supposed to be a professional level editor.   I have tried it but can't really work it out, it's not laid out the same as the other editors.   Best suggestion I have would be to get something that there are a lot of online resources for, so you can easily get help when you get snagged on a problem.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I’ve only ever used iMovie to edit videos. In the last few years mostly on the iPhone. It’s small but very simple and user friendly. Plus I can easily transfer GoPro footage from the se card directly into my photos app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk