KiteLife Forum

Kite train up date.

Daougie

• 4 weeks later...

Have you toyed with the idea of any other arrangements than a train? I mean, with all these detailed artwork, it would be a pity if the detail got lost because of a too far distance from the viewer.

On a place with good wind also close to the ground, one could have a horisontal kite train. Something like a long line, possibly 3m up from the ground and/or in bright colours so that no one trips on it. There could be streamers wound around the few vertical lines holding the horisontal line to the ground to reduce the risk of someone walking into them. Each kite is then given a very short line so that it doesn't go higher then about 4m. This would then be an art exhibition that you most likely and literally see from the start to the end.

Another idea could be to have a kite carpet where the viewer freely chooses in which order to see the kites. Some possible arrangements: a six by six horisontal kite arrangement with two kites stacked in the corners (just starting to form a second layer). 5x8 and 4x10 would also make use of all the kites.

Yet another idea could be to make essentially two layers by a 3x6 repeated twice - four kites are then left to place e.g. in the corners. Or two layers of 4x4 with eight remaining to form "towers" in the corners?

Yet another idea could be the comet - the centre is a 3x3x3 kite block and the 13 remaining kites can be used as kite train comet tails.

Yet another idea could be a wall (2x20, 4x10 or 5x8).

Yet another idea is the room - fold the wall around the viewer. Possibly have a dedicated entrance, so that the kites can be lowered somewhat so that they are in the same height as the viewer (or would the viewer cause too much turbulence for the kites then?).

Yet another idea is the view - From one single point on the ground the kites are arranged so that they cover the viewer's field of vision.

If the winds close to the ground are not good enough for really low flying kites one could use a lifter kite to hold the corners (if any) of the horisontal connecting line(s). If one would like to hide the lifter - use a long line and no line laundry. If one would like the lifter to be a part of the installation - use a shorter line and much line laundry.

I like to point out that I have no intention of telling "what you really ought to do" - just sharing the different ideas that formed after seeing your activities being described here. The above are general ideas with no details. Implementing any of it would mean that one would need to solve many practical design issues to actually make it work (perhaps there are already existing SLK-formations like this?). I don't know how kite train stacks are typically implemented (but is in the happy state of coming up with "likely" designs). I'm impressed by advanced SLKs - part of the reason I guess is that it is foreign to me.

ARRGGG..... I just realized -  the end result is not 40 kites, it will be 60 kites! Nope brainstorm session is over, but 60 kites gives even more opportunities (and work) than 40 kites.

Good Luck with your kite train and happy painting!!

• Like 2

some great ideas . If I'm happy with this one I might try to make an arch. This is not really an advanced SLK. bamboo, plastic and tape. Just trying my hand at kite making, as for the art, I draw just about every day and on every thing so I might as well combine the two

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daougie said:

This is not really an advanced SLK. bamboo, plastic and tape.

I don't agree. Kites are also flying ideas and what materials they are made of is only a part of it. Also, for how many years can a 6mm pultruded carbon fibre spar still be "advanced". For me with more framed duals than I dare to say to my wife, it certainly isn't bamboo that is the standard material. Perhaps "modern" is a better word for many modern/contemporary kite materials rather than "advanced"?

5 hours ago, Daougie said:

If I'm happy with this one I might try to make an arch.

Or a set of mini-arches to form a tunnel? (sorry, couldn't stop myself)

• Like 1