KiteLife Forum

KiteLife chat phasing out...

Bit of bad news guys...

As the IPS4 platform continues to evolve, we are constantly reviewing our product and service lineup to ensure the products remain relevant in relation to market demand. Chat service is one area in which we’ve seen a noticeable decline in terms of popularity. Some clients have asked for us to further modernize the chat service and add more features. Other clients have asked that we retire the chat service to better focus our resources on the rest of the suite. After many discussions with other chat providers, engaging the community and our own internal discussion and research, we have decided to retire the IPS chat service effective 1 May 2017 (EDT). Existing clients, including those using the free version, will continue to be able to use the service until that date.

https://invisionpower.com/ips-chat

Once the service phases out, we'll explore other chat alternatives - it has been very useful in the past. ;)

On 1/7/2017 at 2:08 PM, John Barresi said:

Don't worry too much, we should be able to replace it with another system. ;)

Whew!

edit: label me as an avid user & willing to help support it, SHBKF

Ok, I've been checking out possible replacements...

The last one tends to slow down the website quite a bit, no experience with either of the first two... Looks like Comet is super robust though, and the "docked layout" they offer looks very similar to the Facebook messenger interface, allows you to chat while moving around the website.

Any thoughts, based on what you see? :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbailey49 said:

I would dig chatting and browsing simultaneously

I'm with you on this - I always forget the chat window the current chat system and inevitably end up ignoring nice folks, not good for multitasking.

Will look into Comet's history more, but they sure look like the front runner... Also, one time $249 fee for unlimited usage - supported for one year (including updates), mobile app, and I should be able to get away with an update every 2-3 years (1/2 original cost for another year of support).

I can also try the $49 basic version for a really dry test run on KteLife, and upgrade for the difference.

We'll keep digging and let this discussion mature, but I'd likely do a straight up donation drive here on the forum

• Like 2

Bit late to the discussion...been AFK for a bit.  I also frequent chat and enjoy being able to "talk" to other kitefliers around the country and sometimes world.  The forum is great for somewhat focused topics, but I like chat because it's a lot more spontaneous and whatever people feel like chatting about.  Really hope kitelife chat will continue in some form or another.  I'm sure we'll learn whatever new system is selected when time comes.  Thanks for doing this for us, JB.  

• Like 4

FWIW I've seen other groups (mostly for games like Ingress or Pokemon Go) successfully use Google Hangouts, Slack, even things like What's app for these kind of chats.

On the other end of things I bet there are some free IRC chat options that would allow embedding in the website as well as login through phones and such.

John, Babble, bim and comet all seem interesting ( I think maybe Babble and comet are the most interesting) but I don't have any experience with them so can't say for sure!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

IRC relies on us having a "channel" held open by members or a bot, it does happen where someone will hack a channel and camp on it as a mod.

Google hangouts has a limit on potential # of users at the same time.

Mostly, it's hard to INTEGRATE either of those seamlessly into the forum experience (single log in) which is crucial for getting folks connected to it. ;) 

I would greatly miss the chat feature of KiteLife if it went away.  This is one of the only two “live” social interactions I am able to have with other kite enthusiasts. The second being a fellow kite enthusiast here in Spokane who was referred to me on a “chat night” session by dragonfish. He is now a great friend and flying companion.  For that I am VERY grateful and I try to participate every "Wednesday Chat Night" with the intention that my social interaction might be of use to others as well.  Every week I look forward to “chat night” and I am disappointed when I can’t participate.

I am looking forward to a change, or no change.

SegelFlieger

• Like 2

• 3 months later...