KiteLife Forum

KiteLife chat phasing out...

Ok, bought the license - just waiting for them to finalize the order.
I'll drop some links here when it's ready for configuration, I'm sure there will be lots of features to adjust.

So this new one will allow to chat on mobile devices? Previous was only on pc right?

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

It worked on mobile, but it wasn't optimized, fairly clunky.

Comet Chat should have a mobile friendly layout (still via browser).

There are white label mobile app options and such that can be added on, but they're probably more than our 5-12 chat regulars need for the cost involved - can always upgrade though.

So I have an inaugural event I'd like to explore for the new system.. There are a few top level fliers, builders and even retailers.. How about a guest chat once a month or so with a Kiting "well known"??.. One night a month, open forum with a guest of honor to talk about kites/kiting and even building/design..  Announce date/times in advance so we can chat with kiters we don't usually get face time with.. Team Kitelife would be an excellent first event..

A few other suggestions, Eliot and Cath,, Chris from HQ, Bring Bazzer in for an evening to discuss the Phoenix, the list is easily expanded on. If it get too chatty or confusing in that format we can have a "guest of the month" thread with the same concept..

• Like 7

Okay gang, the new chat is installed and working... Still working on some of the admin-side configuration and what not, but I encourage you to use the new system, take a look around and share your feedback here.

Early notes...

1. Chat access is via the floating icon at bottom right of the forum
  2. The chat follows you as you travel around the forum
  3. Under groups, Public Chat is a room for group discussion
  4. You can also find and private chat with any forum member

Thats it for now, I'm sure it'll take a week or so to find all the little settings and get it really humming.

Once that's done, we'll move toward our first featured guest chat as @riffclown suggested earlier. :)

• Like 2

Nope, that's just chat admin. :)

FYI for folks just tuning in, the chat is indeed up and working...

Full page - http://kitelife.com/forum/kl-chat-desktop/

It should also follow you as you cruise around the forum, in a format similar to Facebook's messenger (appears in bottom right of any other forum page)... Still tweaking and refining, all feedback is welcome!

• Like 1

Ok, we need a good kite related sound for this...

How can I change the alert sound on incoming messages?

==

There may also be some useful changes that can be made here...

https://support.cometchat.com/documentation/php/faq/how-do-i-re-size-and-change-the-position-of-cometchat-bar-on-my-site/

==

Mostly just thinking out loud here for later reference or discussion. :)

5 hours ago, SegelFlieger said:

How about the "bird-cry" sound your kite makes occasionally in just the right wind conditions?

Yes, recorded with a microphone in the centre of the wind window that the (quick?) kite will pass very close to so that the doppler effect becomes evident. For some kind of idea listen to this video of passing Fazer kites ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8vbjOvrRJM ). Some soft material could be applied around the microphone so that the wind in itself will not make a noise when interacting with the microphone. How far from a city would one need to go find a truly quit spot to record this? On the other hand being far from the civilization the odds for finding quit surroundings might be better, but one still would need to avoid waves, rapid white water, bird song,... How much background sounds can be filtered out afterwards?

Another more shocking sound could be a hard 2-point landing, but perhaps that would be more of an alarm sound. On the other hand one could lower the volume somewhat and digitally make it into a series of much rapid landings. Or combining wumps, 2-point landings and foil kite smashing vertically into the ground into some kind of drum solo rhythm. Could this be sampled from existing material or would it needed to be recorded from scratch?

I believe that the sound shouldn't be unpleasant - a humoristic, just sudden, bone chilling sound isn't likely to work long term.

• Like 2

The more I fly the more my kites talk to me.  And they have a lot to say.  This morning I see the blue chats ribbon in my lower right corner while arriving here via Chrome.  Let the tweaking continue.  It is kind of neat to be watching & chatting as this switch is made.  I went to the old chat box this morning & was admitted.  But when I left it said I was kicked out.  Kind of like "And don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out!"  Well out the door & on my way to a kite fest for once.  So that's one day I won't be a Solo Hill Billie Kite Flailer.

SHBKF

• Like 6